April is Bowel Cancer Awareness Month, a fantastic annual opportunity to raise awareness of bowel cancer and funds to support our work.
During April we will be raising awareness of bowel cancer symptoms and there’s a variety of ways you or your family and friends can get involved this Bowel Cancer Awareness Month:
- Fundraise for us – Be a Star, Bake a Cake. Hold a bake sale and invite family, friends and colleagues to sample delicious treats and make a donation. If you would like some inspiration for your cake sale, our celebrity chef supporters have donated some of their favourite recipes for you to bake.
- Attend our Giant Inflatable Bowel event in Glasgow - we’re holding an awareness event on Saturday 7 April. Our staff and volunteers will be on Argyle Street (HMV end) from 10:30am–3:30pm with a giant inflatable bowel that you can walk through and learn some facts. We will also be handing out information and free fruit. We would love to see you there!
- Professional football players, managers and pundits will unite once again to raise awareness of bowel cancer and symptoms of the disease. The Know the Score campaign is the brainchild of former Millwall, Charlton and QPR goalkeeper Nicky Johns, whose son Stephen died of bowel cancer at the age of 26. If you’re a football fan, why not help us give out Star of Hope pin badges at your local football stadium on a match day.
- Invite one of our trained volunteers to your workplace or community group to give an award-winning awareness talk on bowel cancer. This 30 minute talk will cover bowel cancer screening, reducing your risk and symptoms.
- Share your story of bowel cancer – help us raise awareness of the disease in the media, on our website and social media by sharing your own experience.
- Support our Time to Test campaign - take action to help us improve the diagnosis and care of people diagnosed with Lynch syndrome, a genetic condition that can increase the risk of bowel cancer to up to 80%.
- Help us raise awareness of the symptoms of bowel cancer on your Facebook and Twitter pages. Make sure you follow us to keep up to date with the latest news and messages throughout April. Twitter @Bowel_Cancer_UK / @bowelcancer Facebook charityBCUK / BeatingBC
- Spread the word about bowel cancer symptoms – we are giving away free copies of our symptoms guide for you to share with your family, friends and colleagues.
Find out more about what we’re doing for Bowel Cancer Awareness Month here