Welcome, Guest. Please sign in or register.

Did you miss your activation email?

Life with bowel cancer

DianeS

Isotope Bone Scan

Hi everyone, due to on going hip and back problems my oncologist has decided to do an Isotope Bone Scan. Have any of you had one? Love D :x::x::x::x::x::x:

CD1966

Not heard of that one @DianeS but would be interested to know more?

DianeS

Will let you know once I have my appointment through @CD1966 :x::x:

springer michelle

Hope it goes ok, and you can stop worrying :x:

Brian

@DianeS A friend of mine had this last week. Basically she had an injection into a vein - apparently you can also be given the drug by tablet. Once done, she was free for two or three hours so went off shopping! This was so the liquid could absorb into her bones. The pictures were taken by a gamma camera and this built up an image of the bone structure. It took about 40 minutes. Apparently the radiation takes a few hours to drain away, but as they use the smallest dose possible for each person, this is not a long process. My friend felt no pain, she could eat normally before hand but was asked to drink six to eight cups of water before hand. The only other thing she mentioned was that there were special toilets in the department to empty your bladder! Hope it all goes well and that you soon have all the information needed to step forward. hugs, b :x:

ruthy

I had one a few years ago, also due to me having hip and back pain. The machine I had mine in had a monior for me to watch the scan in progress. I didnt know what it was untill the scan started but if I have one again I will ask for it to be pointed away from me- as I didnt know what I was looking at but worried all the glowy bits were mets untill I got my results a week later (which were clear). Good luck with your scan :x::x:

DianeS

Many thanks @springer michelle, you know me too well, can't stop worrying now 😩😩 :x::x:

DianeS

Thanks for the information @Brian and @ruthy. So pleased your results were clear. What was your hip and back pain caused by? Mine has been going on for a while now, but last PET scan was clear and that was only about 8 weeks ago, so I'm hoping it's nothing to do with C :x::x::x::x::x:

Lizalou

Hope you get a date very soon and then a good explanation for what is going on. This endless worrying is horrible for you, :x:

DianeS

Many thanks @Lizalou :x::x:

Lizalou

Hi @DianeS
I did Google...the proceedure sounds very straightforward. I don't know if I am hoping for a diagnosis of osteoporosis for you or not! Hope you can just get some tablets to keep the pain away without any more complications ( I still think that this chemo is responsible for lots of things which are not widely mentioned)
Just being nosy....is this private rather than NHS? I wonder if more of us asked our GPs for further investigation more things would come to light.

Brian

@Lizalou Google! Google! My word! :):)

Polly 1

My elderly Dad had a bone scan for prostate cancer a month or so ago. He had the injection then had to go and wait for a few hours before the scan itself so he joined us in the cafe. I couldn't stop him but he had a huge baguette (they told him to eat and drink normally) and then suffered terrible indigestion during the scan as he had to lie very still and flat ..so watch what you eat!

Bless him he's not the best patient and squeals when being given an injection but he said apart from getting bored having to lie still it was no problem.

DianeS

Hi @Lizalou I'm a private patient. I did go to my GP and came away so upset I'm trying to change surgeries. I was hoping to get some counselling and had to see the GP who mis-diagnosed me. The first thing he said was ' you haven't darkened out door for quite sometime' I came away with McMillsns telephone number and he didn't even examine my back. I've had nothing from the NHS, and my surgery is useless. Thank you for Googling, I'm too scared! :x::x::x::x::x:

DianeS

Thank you @Polly 1 for the help and advice. I haven't got my appointment through yet, hope it comes soon as the worry starts to do your head in :x::x::x::x:

DianeS

Hahahaha @Brian :x::x::x::x::x:

Lizalou

That's appalling @DianeS, how frustrating. Surely a good GP could easily spend a few minutes listening to all your woes and come up with some sensible advice. ...that's their job. I have been very lucky with my GPs and always come away feeling more positive. (and of course they are incredibly busy).

Swanseacat

Lordy @DianeS I wonder if we share GPs too? That's awful. Hoping you get this through soon. :x::x::x:

ruthy

Sorry for my slow reply @DianeS. I hope you get your appointment through soon and get some answers.. I had no specific reason found, the bone scan did find arthritis in many of my joints, but not necessarily linked to my back and hip pain. I went to an osteopath who basically sorted it for me, and I stopped cycling so much as this seemed to trigger it in particular.