Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Just Diagnosed

Meezermum

Just about to start this journey

I was diagnosed at the end of May this year . Following six months of not keeping food down and loosing five stone , I was also very anemic .I had an endoscopy which showed nothing and 2 weeks later a CT scan when I was told I have bowel cancer .I was then waiting for surgery but this then became emergency surgery six weeks ago .and had right hemi colostomy . I was told the tumour was large and stage 3 and it had gone into my lymph nodes and thank goodness no where else . I am seeing my oncologist this afternoon and hope to start a plan . I have been reading your amazing stories in this forum and have finally plucked up courage to add mine . As this now makes it real and I am stressed and worried about what will happen to me . I am very lucky to have a wonderful husband and I know he is worried too .

1234annie

Suppried they didn't give you the ondansetron to start with. I get them for the first night only, I think they are very expensive!! Sorry to hear your feeling shitty. I have my 4th round yesterday, hands had pins n needles straight away. I felt it in my feet but only for a few seconds and my left hand went stiff and the fingers curled round, again only for a minuite but I did feel really crappy straight after the chemo yesterday. Mine was T4bn1mo, I asked about 6 rather than 12 and she said no.....better to have more than less, mine had aggressive markers so suppose that's why, although my markers were all normal b4 trestment which she said easy very good. I cling on to the glimmers of hope, I spoke to a lady the other day with exactly the same bowel tumor who had 6 months folfox and she was 12 years down the line with no recurrence.
On a different note does anyone find they sneeze more on chemo? Annie :x: :x: :x:

Clairelou

Hi @1234annie, yes they gave me 2 days worth of ondansetron and once they were finished I had a mild sickness called met.... something, which didn't work. It's a tunnel with no light at the end of it for me at the moment. Well done cycle 4 done!! Hope it's kind to you :x::x::x:

deviem

hi everyone..Im new here..I have not been officially told that i have bowel cancer..just that a CT scan revealed a "concern"..have had a colonoscopy plus a ct scan..Im due for a further ct scan (abdomen and pelvis) on monday,a sigmoidoscopy on Tues and an MRI scan (pelvis and rectum) on thurs..bewildered and scared..:x:

Meezermum

@LankyYankee I'm doing ok and thank you for asking . I've started a new thread on my treatment . Lots of love :x::x::x:

Meezermum

@Clairelou hi , I'm sorry you're not doing too well . Love and hugs :x::x::x::x:

Delboy

Hi @Meezermum - glad you're doing ok 👌👌👌

Hi @Clairelou - sorry you're struggling - it's a real grind I know and you sound the same as me for my last 2 cycles. The nausea and just feeling pants wears you down.

See if they'll give you cyclazine for anti-sickness- worked for me - talk to your cr nurse and she should be able to arrange some for you.

💪💪💪

Clairelou

Thank you @Delboy - I haven't been able to take my evening tablets because I just can't bare swallowing anything and just makes me Bork. Sorry for being dozy but what is CR nurse? :x::x:

Delboy

Colo-rectal nurse - part of the 'multi-disciplinary team'.

Clairelou

Ah right... of course! yes I have one of those and she's lovely. I will ring and speak to her Monday -thanks for the advice :x: :x:

Meezermum

@Clairelou .I would suggest you call her today . Get this sorted ASAP !!

Clairelou

My CR nurse only works Monday to Friday ... I have called an out of hours number and waiting for a call back - feel even worse today 😕:x:

1234annie

Hope your ok Clairelou, sorry you feel so shitty. I've felt ok this round so far and think I felt crap because I forgot the steroids last time. :x:

tonibates1

@Meezermum
Welcome to this site and believe me the people on here are wonderful. All the very best to you and smack this disease right between the eyes!!!!!!!!!!! :x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x:

Dan-888

Hi @Meezermum . I'm one of the lucky ones who have finished my 5th year scans successfully. I don't manage to come back onto the forum as often as I'd like to but I do try to whenever I can. But it's usually only when I'm tagged.
I'm also a stage 3-er and have had a fairly typical programme of treatment, I think (summarised in my profile).
Wishing you strength of spirit and perseverance as you go through similar bumps and knocks, peaks and troughs ahead.
Dan

bexly33
Quote from @kidsversuscopy:
Hi @bexly33 - I'm the same stage as you (2 lymph nodes though but no blood vessels) and at the moment I'm only down for 4 cycles of Capox... Started my first yesterday

Good luck with ur 4 cycles @kidsversuscopy. I hope I don't need any more. Not sure if I will need to continue with the Capecitibane tho! Will find out next week. I'm going to ask also if I can come off the steroids due to lack of sleep
and continuously wanting to eat. I take anti sickness tabs for about 5 days st the begging if each cycle. I have had no sickness. 🤞👍:x::x::x:

Meezermum

@Dan-888 @tonibates1 thank you both and I am so glad I found this forum . Dan , so glad you have weathered this storm . Keep going and keep strong . Hugs to you all :x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x:

Dan-888

Thank you @Meezermum !!! Keep on keeping on, with a positive, chin up attitude! ;D
Dan

1234annie
Quote from @Dan-888:
Hi @Meezermum . I'm one of the lucky ones who have finished my 5th year scans successfully. I don't manage to come back onto the forum as often as I'd like to but I do try to whenever I can. But it's usually only when I'm tagged.
I'm also a stage 3-er and have had a fairly typical programme of treatment, I think (summarised in my profile).
Wishing you strength of spirit and perseverance as you go through similar bumps and knocks, peaks and troughs ahead.
Dan

How many lymphs did they take Dan?

Dan-888

They only managed to get 9 lymph nodes @1234annie , none of which had any cancerous cells. Which adds more uncertainty even though only 2 were swollen in the first scans. And probably weighed more for post surgery Chemo therapy.