Welcome, Guest. Please sign in or register.

Did you miss your activation email?

Talk to the Beating Bowel Cancer Nurses


new symptoms

Hello, my husband is approaching his annual CT scan, he was declared cancer free (i think) in July 2016 after surgery in December 2015 followed by some chemo. He was initially diagnosed as a T4bN1M0 or dukes C1.
He had been suffering for about two weeks from diarrhoea and urgency along with tummy pain. For two days he has had a pain in his lower chest/upper abdomen which he says is indigestion. (I do not believe that indigestion can last this long) . He is knocking back Gaviscon and referring to pain under his rib cage.
He refuses to call his colorectal nurse as he already had an an appointment towards the end of July anyway.
Do I need to take control and call the nurse or am I being dramatic and should I just wait for the nurses appointment???

springer michelle

For peace of mind get him to ring his team just to check :x::x:


As @springer michelle says, I would give the nurses a ring just for peace of mind. There's no harm in doing so :x::x:


Also, I'd just add @Cardiffgirl my husband tends to be the same and doesn't like 'causing a fuss' but last time we left it his pain got so bad he ended up being in hospital - not saying that will happen to your husband but it's better to raise these issues from the get-go :x::x:


Another vote from me for speaking to the specialist nurse. As someone who never, ever used to visit my GP this has been a difficult lesson for me to learn but my GP has finally convinced me that no visit is a waste of time.


I too think any change in symptoms @Cardiffgirl is worth you (if your husband doesn't want to) checking it out with your colorectal specialist nurse, they can talk it over with you over the phone and take it from there :x::x:


Thank you all for getting back to me. He would not call the nurses but I will try again tomorrow. I am very worried.


Hi @Cardiffgirl .. or at least he should start with a GP appt. it's always hard. I had a pain in Salcombe milR area post op, 7 weeks and ended up seeing local gp last Friday. She checked me over and all was ok luckily but best to have peace of mind or get them to refer back to colorectal if they think it's necessary. Good luck, it's not easy when someone doesn't want to make a fuss. Bridget :x:

Charlotte Senior Nurse Advisor

Dear @Cardiffgirl,

Thank you to others for your replies.

I too would recommend that your husband either calls his colorectal nurse or sees his GP. Many symptoms can be easily explained and dealt with but putting off being seen by the doctor can make things worse as people are understandably anxious and fearful of finding out what might the cause. Often this anxiety will just exacerbate the symptoms.

However concerned you are, going to see the GP or call the nurse is something only your husband can do. Encourage him as much as you can - I am sure you are - and hopefully he will come around and agree to an appointment.

With kindest regards,