Welcome, Guest. Please sign in or register.

Did you miss your activation email?

Talk to the Beating Bowel Cancer Nurses

KenC

Immune system and the sunshine

I am currently having Folfiri chemotherapy. I was wondering, given the hot weather predicted, if it is okay for me to be out and about in the sun, provided I am well covered and any exposed parts of my body are covered in 30 sunscreen? Or should I limit significantly my exposure to the sun?

Lady GT

Hi @KenC . Hopefully one of the nurses will be along soon but I DO know that chemotherapy can make you extra sensitive to the sun. Living in a sunny clime, His Lordship was advised to be very careful and avoid direct sunlight as much as possible.
No need for you to miss out on all the merriment though. Cover up with loose, light clothing and a hat, and seek shade whenever you can. The fresh air will be great!
Have a good weekend. :x:

KenC

Thank you, @Lady GT, for your helpful and cheerful advice. Enjoy the weekend. :x::x:

tisme

I was told to stay out of the sun due to photosensitivity with the chemo. I would phone the chemo ward up and ask a nurse.

Rach

Hi @KenC I was told to be careful in the sun. I wear factor 50, a rather fetching sun hat and sit in the shade!!!! im sometimes naughty and put my toes in the sun ☀️

KenC

Thank you, @Rach, for your helpful response. I shall probably follow your lead. However, my toes are not a pleasant sight, so I may not expose them! Have a great weekend. :x::x:

angepange

Yes, all the above @KenC ! Skin is very sensitive to sun when on chemo.:x::x:

Scarlett the Bulldog

I've been to Mallorca twice so far on chemo. I put on factor 50 and sat in the shade, but I did walk around and occasionally sun bathed, but I was aware of how long I was in the sun for and I didn't burn and my skin is fine. You just have to be careful especially If you are someone who burns in the sun anyway.

KenC

Thanks, @angepange. I think my planned outside BBQ for tomorrow may well become an inside BBQ, given the forecast! Have an excellent weekend. :x::x:

KenC
Quote from @Scarlett the Bulldog:
I've been to Mallorca twice so far on chemo. I put on factor 50 and sat in the shade, but I did walk around and occasionally sun bathed, but I was aware of how long I was in the sun for and I didn't burn and my skin is fine. You just have to be careful especially If you are someone who burns in the sun anyway.

Thanks @Scarlett the Bulldog . That's really helpful. As you indicated, it is just about being sensible in the sun. I am fortunate in that I don't burn in the sun. I will just have to put my love of being out and about in the sun away somewhere, and behave sensibly. Sigh! Hope you are enjoying this sunny weekend. :x::x:

DianeS

Hi @KenC hope you enjoyed your BBQ yesterday. We had one for Fathers Day and the forecast kept saying rain but it was beautiful all day. Today is even hotter 😁 I have a high tolerance of the suns rays but was surprised just how quickly the and easily you can burn. Definitely don't use less than a factor 50 Screen. And yes it's all about being sensible :x::x::x::x::x:

KenC

Thanks, @DianeS. I bought some factor 50 today, but, mostly, have kept indoors. Hope you were able to enjoy the sunshine. :x::x:

gun-dog-lass

I use factor 50 and always wear a hat when im out :x::x:

Charlotte Senior Nurse Advisor

Dear @KenC,

Thank you to others for your very helpful advice. I have nothing further to offer as the advice given is all correct! Chemo can make your skin more sensitive but this can vary greatly from person to person.

It is always better to follow good skin protection in the sun to avoid running into problems.

With kindest regards,

Charlotte

KenC

Thank you, @Charlotte, for your advice . I have to say that I have pretty much stayed indoors the last few days, but have used my factor 50 on my rare excursions! Kind regards, Ken.

KenC
Quote from @gun-dog-lass:
I use factor 50 and always wear a hat when im out

Excellent advice , @gun-dog-lass , which I shall follow. Many thanks, Ken :x::x:

gun-dog-lass

No worries @KenC just wish my other half had followed suit she got badly burnt on sunday and ended up with sun stroke. Im happy to look like a milk bottle. Someone asked if i used daz on my legs lol. Who cares safety first :x::x:

steve707

Hi @KenC One of the nurses told me to use factor 50 and stay out of the sun, So we can't even enjoy the summer. What a bummer

KenC
Quote from @gun-dog-lass:
No worries @KenC just wish my other half had followed suit she got badly burnt on sunday and ended up with sun stroke. Im happy to look like a milk bottle. Someone asked if i used daz on my legs lol. Who cares safety first

Hi @gun-dog-lass. Really sorry to hear about your partner. The sun has been really fierce here today, so I didn't venture out much. As you say, safety first. We all have enough problems without compounding them! Take good care of yourself. :x::x:

KenC
Quote from @steve707:
Hi @KenC One of the nurses told me to use factor 50 and stay out of the sun, So we can't even enjoy the summer. What a bummer

You are right about that, @steve707, not being able to enjoy fully the summer is a real bummer. This will be the second summer in a row, where I have to avoid the sun. Hope you can find ways to enjoy the next few months, in spite of the restrictions. Best wishes to you. Ken