Welcome, Guest. Please sign in or register.

Did you miss your activation email?

Stage 4 bowel cancer

StaceyH

post chemo scan results, advice needed!

Hi all
My husband and I have had the strangest day......he had the results back after 6 months of Folfiri (no targeted treatments as he is RAS mutant). We had prepped ourselves for every outcome with millions of questions to follow up with but not this - the tumour in his bowel was 3.5cm and is now just scar tissue on the MRI scan and the mets on his lungs are so tiny (biggest 5mm but most are 1mm) that the scan can't see if they are active cancer or scar tissue too. No sign of anything else.

We were utterly stunned and I had struggled to even think of one question to ask! Our oncologist wants to see him again in 3 months for another CT but no treatment til then. We were told that the chances are that something will start to grow somewhere in him but we just have to wait and see.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? I know he isn't cured or even in remission. This has thrown me totally and I was so geared up to have a new treatment plan that I feel a bit lost knowing we aren't even going to see anyone for months!

Any of your stories are much welcome!

x Stacey

LynneW

Well @StacyH, as there have been no replies, it appears that everyone is floored by your results! But how great for you and your husband! I think after a few months, perhaps at the next appointment in three months, I would ask if a PET scan would be possible or useful? This could show if there was any activity from any METS? But in the meantime, I would have a fabulous Summer. Wishing all the best, :x::x::x:

Lady GT

Wow @StaceyH , no wonder the wind was taken out of your sails!
We think we've geared ourselves up for everything, don't we? And then along comes news like this.
You are right, there is no room for complacency and it's good that your husband will be followed up in three months time.
But for now, kick back and enjoy the summer!
Congratulations!
:x:

HH79

Hi @StaceyH - brilliant! Enjoy this! In the same way cancer just sneaks in from nowhere, sometimes it will just go or lay low for some time. Go do lots of fun things and try not to think ?! about it too much before your next scan. Huge hugs :x::x::x:

Jaynesr

Enjoy this @StaceyH! Mine tends to come and go with chemo so it's important to make the very most of the 'go' times!! Long may they last!!! Book a holiday if you can! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ€žπŸ‘πŸ»

@StaceyH How fantastic for you both .Long may it continue.I had shrinkage for a whole year and had a chemo break for that time.It's just started to grow slowly again so starting chemo again on 22nd June.Take it from me the year was wonderful but the time goes quickly so make the most of it.Lots of luck to you bothxx

Also wanted to say I am also kras mutant so no extra stuff for me eitherπŸ’œ

CD1966

My brother is also KRAS mutant @StaceyH - so I'm so pleased to hear the news about your scans. Absolutely brilliant.

StaceyH
Quote from @LynneW:
Well @StacyH, as there have been no replies, it appears that everyone is floored by your results! But how great for you and your husband! I think after a few months, perhaps at the next appointment in three months, I would ask if a PET scan would be possible or useful? This could show if there was any activity from any METS? But in the meantime, I would have a fabulous Summer. Wishing all the best,

We had asked about a PET scan a few months ago but we were told that the mets were way too small for the results to be conclusive, does that sound right to you?

El Ivan

That's brilliant news @StaceyH πŸ˜ƒ:x:

Baxter2

Amazing news @StaceyH Time to enjoy yourself and shove cancer to the back of your mind as much as you can!! β€οΈπŸ’™πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’œ

LynneW

HI @StacyH, it could be that the mets are too small to evaluate now? I am astounded by the wonderful results of chemo, to be honest! This is wonderful news, we all love good news. Just soak up the sun, putting on sun-screen of course! :x::x::x:

DianeS

Hi @StaceyH so pleased to hear that the chemo has worked so well. I'm on a similar 'wait and see' regime. It will be a year since my liver ablation, with PET scans every 3 months for the foreseeable future 😩 My next one is 22nd July.......this is a one year anniversary so
I'm praying all is well :x::x:

StaceyH
Quote from @DianeS:
Hi @StaceyH so pleased to hear that the chemo has worked so well. I'm on a similar 'wait and see' regime. It will be a year since my liver ablation, with PET scans every 3 months for the foreseeable future 😩 My next one is 22nd July.......this is a one year anniversary so
I'm praying all is well

I've just been reading about 'watch and wait' and it seems to be used a lot now with CRC,this makes me feel better that a lot of research has been done on this method as at first,all I could think was 'OPERATE!!!!!'

As with so much with this disease,especially at stage 4, there are so many lessons to learn,the biggest being that all we have is now so all we can ever do it just live in the moment and really LIVE,not just exist

:x::x::x:

DianeS

So very true @StaceyH some days it's easier to do than others. I always get anxious before and after a scan. As the days sndcthe weeks pass I just begin to get on with it, and it's time for another scan, plus so have bloods and a port flush every six weeks. But my biggest comfort is that they are keeping a close eye on me. Much love Diane :x::x::x: