Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Ask the Nurse

Posts in this section can only be replied to by the Beating Bowel Cancer nurses. If you wish other users to respond to your question you will need to post it in another topic on the forum as well.

Scardycat

Alternatives to avastin

My dad has been put on avastin after cetuximab was deemed to be becoming less effective for him. But I don't think he can cope with the avastin is making him feel terriblE. Are the any alternatives that are gentler? He has cancel still present in the bowel as not suitable for surgery although the spread to liver has been zapped by ablation

Bear G

Hi @Scardycat
I'm sure the nurses will be along soon to help directly. In the meantime, could you let us know what problems he's had on Avastin and what other meds he's on please?
I've been on Avastin for almost 4 years now and whilst I've had some problems we've been able to work through most of them.
Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

Scardycat

Thanks @Bear Gst

He's got diarrhoea, and is very week and sleepy with a fuzzy head

He's on 5fu , blood thinners and blood pressure meds along with the avastin

Bear G

Hi @Scardycat
Some of that could be due to the 5FU too.
I'll pass some advice ahead of the nurses coming back to you in the hope that it'll help. I would think it's worth calling his chemo nurse to chat this through too as they may want to intervene. Certainly it sounds like the first thing would be to bring the diarrhoea under control, that may well make all the difference for him feeling tired etc., I know that when I've had chemo-induced diarrhoea I've been miserable to be around!
Is he on loperamide and if so is he taking the maximum dose already?
I've been on blood pressure tablets because of the Avastin effects too but that's helped to control things. I've also had fatigue with it but that's been something that built up over extended time periods (a year or so) and is generally sorted by taking a short treatment break.
Fingers crossed you get his diarrhoea sorted quickly and that it is the key to getting his bounce back.
Big hugs for you both
Bear
:x::x:

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @Scardycat,

Thank you very much @Bear Gst for your really helpful response.

As mentioned some of his symptoms could well be due to the 5Fu but either way it is important to get the diarrhoea under control. The weakness and 'fuzzy head' could be signs of dehydration especially as this warmer weather is kicking in. How often is he having to go to the toilet? As Bear G says he can be prescribed Loperamide to manage the diarrhoea. If he is on it already then he may well need to increase the dose.
He may also need to take some electrolyte replacement solution (such as Dioralyte) as he could be losing valuable electrolytes in the diarrhoea as well as fluid.

i would definitely contact his chemo nurse and discuss these symptoms with him or her so that they can administer the appropriate medications. They can also assess him generally to see if he needs a treatment break or dose reduction to help manage the side-effects.

With kindest regards,

Charlotte

Scardycat

Take you @Charlotte Nurse Advisor he was admitted to hospital yesterday for rehydration. Onc will then consider long term options

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Oh. Sorry to hear he had to be admitted but absolutely right that he is re-hydrated. Hope he feels better soon.

Best wishes,

Charlotte