Welcome, Guest. Please sign in or register.

Did you miss your activation email?

Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Sean

2 Part Liver Re-Section 14/6/17

Hey everyone!

The time is nearly here for me get some critters out. Having the first part of my op Wednesday. Second, 2 weeks later. Done via keyhole @ Hammersmith. Very fortunate in that i have one of the top guys, especially for this type of op, working on me.
He only expects i'll be in for a few days for the first part, possibly more for the second.

Has anyone else had this ? What were your experiences if so.

And obvs the usual Hospital essentials ;

Comfy/loose clothes. Slippers
Long lead for charger
Laptop/Books

Am i missing anything essential, that wouldn't be blindingly obvious?

Hope you're all bearing up well out there!?:x:

Swan

Really pleased to hear you are going home tomorrow @Sean, you will be so much more comfortable. :x::x:

Brian

@Sean So glad you'll be home soon. It does aid recovery. Have you got the pain under better control? It's so fantastic to get your tubes out one by one, and when that last one goes, oh! my - freedom! Take it easy and ask for help when you need it. Sending big hugs and continued prayers for a swift recovery. b :x:

Clancy

Hi sean, sorry to hear about your battles with pain. I too had a urine infection after liver resection and again after bowel resection. Nasty pains, and felt disoriented. Catheters are notorious for causing this.
my anaesthetist put an epidural in for my liver resection, it worked really well, and before they took it out I asked for oral long acting pain relief.
I would escalate your complaint about acute pain team as nurses owe you a duty of care. I am glad your anaethetist sorted you out.
take it easy at home.:x::x:

Cakey68

I had trouble passing water for a few weeks then it went .

Good luck with the second part . Be positive

Ben81

Hope you are feeling a bit better and have managed to get back home to relax @Sean. How are you getting on?

Sean

Feeling much better thanks everyone. Fairly decent sleeps the last two nights. Pain is under control most of the time, can spike up when i get up after having been idle for a good while - but so much better than before. Thank god the heat has calmed down.
Ended up gettin on with the pain guy in the end, tho it still shouldn't of been handled that way.

Now i feel like im recovering! ;) thanks for all the support as usual! you guys are great!

Baxter2

So glad to see things are improving all round @Sean! Always makes a huge difference getting home to your own bed! Take care and lots of love โค๏ธ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š

Brian

@Sean Glad to know you continue on a upward trend. We have setbacks along the way and forget that it's natural to do so after all we have been through. Learn to be a patient patient! hugs, b :x:

Sean

@Brian The whole situation, or rather change, threw me off. Honestly, i went in quitely expecting to be out in 2 days max. Given i thought it was gonna be a two part, and that the first wasn't to be so testing. After the the surgery i was up and about within a few hours, was delighted they done it in one,obviously. They expected i'd be out by the Friday.
The heat is what done me, not being able to sleep was tortuous. Say i got no more than 10hrs sleep over the 7 nights. You just simply can't recover that way can you!? Add the pain in etc, aghhhh forget about it.

Lost 4kg, which i shouldn't have much probs getting back. Also, a heads up for anyone else training for surgery, don't do anything to stresful aorund the area being operated. They said it was a bit of bother cutting my "letterbox" open. Which i can't help think was made difficult by all the yoga i did, right up til 2 days before the op.

Pain wise im on MST 60mg per day and oramorph when needed. Which i'll be tailing of asap whilst not having myself suffer

As hard as it was, i made it, and thats we do ;)

@Baxter2 @Ben81 @Cakey68 @Clancy @Swan @Alwyn @CD1966 @Lizalou @Jennifer @Hollyhock @louise2016 @Chris82 @Mrs Rufus65 @Jonathan25 @fnkyf8 @MaryHB
@eyeofthetiger @mem @angepange @El Ivan @Rach @suzanne1957 @Bear G @OFJ @Lauren5429 @DianeS

THANKS! for all the replys. Great to have everyone on board when the chips are down.x

PS how good is it to have Glastonbury on all weekend!? Perfect distraction, i couldnt read or watch anything in there.

Cakey68

Glad to read it all went ok . Rest up and take it easy.

Best wishes

Lee

suzanne1957

Sending hugs :x::x::x:

mem

Great to here you are now at home @Sean. Ahhhh sleep ๐Ÿ˜ด. Smooth recovery wishes and I particularly liked Radiohead btw, used to love them!
Take lots of care :x::x:

Alwyn

Ah Glastonbury. The times I have tried to get tickets! I loved Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders so much that I have booked to see them in October. :x::x:

Hollyhock

Really pleased to hear you're not suffering any more @Sean and back in your own bed. It sounds like you had a complete nightmare you poor thing. Keep on enjoying Glastonbury :x::x::x:

MaryHB

All the best @Sean, hope you're catching up on all that lost sleep :)
:x::x::x::x::x:

LABluebell

@Sean Sending you lots of healing vibes. Keep that attitude going ! :x:

Mrs Rufus65

So pleased your back home @Sean & catching up with some much needed๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ดHugs :x::x::x:

Simba 1998

Hope u sleep better in your own bed @Sean . Hubby going in for his liver resection on Saturday so any advice would be appreciated.

DianeS

Morning @Sean so pleased to hear you are back home, it's so nice to get into your own bed isn't it? The weather is cooler so hope you manage to catch up on some healing sleep. Well done for getting through the surgery. Diane :x::x::x:

Sean

hey @Simba 1998 my advice would be making sure your hubby is comfortable in the bed. So check what the weather is likley to be like - highly doubtful we wil get another heatwave like that for some time, but be prepared for it just incase. I got some really handy ice packs of amazon, which i put behind my back (which felt like a furnace at times) a small fan with a decent length lead. An extension socket (only had one 1 available socket!) Also be on the ball with pain meds, ask what they are likley to give him, just striking up these conversations beforehand with the right people will see you good.
Food! good organic fruits on the go, healthy snack bars (nakd) are a godsend. Plenty of water by his side etc.

Can imagine my thread here would have people slightly worried if they are about to go in for the same, but it really was down to me not being able to sleep - so please dont fear too much ok ;)
Is he due a two parter aswel? another thing to consider as i was kinda dealing with 2 recoveries in the one. I wish him all the best!

@DianeS yes! im a massive fan of my bed/room - ive everything set up here just the way i want it ;)

@mem Radiohead are incredible! have only really gotten into them properly the last few years. Loved Thom's message for T.May!

@Alwyn you like the new album? Love that women and her attitude to life

Thanks guys! Had my staples out today and the wounds are healing nicely ;)