Welcome, Guest. Please sign in or register.

Did you miss your activation email?

Talk to the Beating Bowel Cancer Nurses

KenC

My granddaughter's vaccinations

My granddaughter has just had her twelve month vaccinations (Hib, MMR, Meningitis C, Men B, Bexero and PCV). I am currently on Folfiri, and was wondering if I need not to have contact with her for a while.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks,

KenC

Bear G

Hi @KenC
Not sure when the nurses will be back with you on this, may be worth a call to your chemo team to be safe but I think you're ok.
The thing to bear in mind is that when you're vaccinated then it's not with live vaccines.
:x::x:

KenC

Thanks for your response, @Bear G. I did have the sense that it would be okay, but my local surgery muddied the waters by saying I shouldn't see her for at least five days!! The oncology nurses said it would be okay. Confusion worse confounded. Hope things are going well for you.

Bear G

All good thank you Ken. How're you getting on with your treatment

OFJ

Hi @KenC , my grandaughter had her first jabs recently and I was advised to keep away for 48 hours as the meningitis was a live virus. I finished chemo in March, so immune system not completely up to speed yet :x::x::x:

KenC

Thank you, @OFJ. That's really helpful. Hope your recovery goes well, as your immune system gets back to full strength.

OFJ

Thanks @KenC :) :x::x:

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @KenC,

Thank you to others for your replies.

All of the immunisations you mentioned do not contain 'live' virus except the MMR which contains an attenuated or 'weakened' version of the virus.
Essentially you should be fine to have contact with your grandaughter but it would be worth just checking with your oncologist that your own immunity is OK i.e. your neutrophil count is OK

With best wishes,

Charlotte

KenC

Thank you Charlotte, for your prompt response. That is very clear and reassuring. I can't remember my neutrophil count exactly, but it was very slightly below the norm (1.48 as opposed to 1.5?), so they were happy to go ahead with my latest chemo. I imagine that means it will okay to see my granddaughter. She certainly boosts my emotions and , thereby, my immune system!

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Yes, I am sure it is fine. As you say she is a tonic in many ways!