Welcome, Guest. Please sign in or register.

Did you miss your activation email?

Stage 4 bowel cancer

vt

HIPEC yes or no?

Hi all, I have been on here reading posts but never posted myself. I've been sticking to SHINE for cancer in the young. I am a complete quivering wreck today. I'm 35, diagnosed at 34 with Stage 4 bowel cancer and peritoneal mets. I was elated 4 weeks ago when I was given the go ahead for HIPEC in Basingstoke. However, I had a colonoscopy on 5 days ago, which found several polyps. My consultant completing it was very unhelpful, and almost annoyed I think, that he'd found them and caused him to run late! However I've now received a letter stating whether Basingstoke will now want to treat me and review my management plan. I am devastated. I've rung the peritoneal malignancy nurses at Basingstoke to get some idea of what will be going on, but they can't give me an answer obviously. Has anyone else had this happen to them? This is the first devastation that I do not think I can cope with since being diagnosed. I have 2 young kids and an amazing supportive husband, but I just feel my life has been turned upside down all over again. Having hope was a major thing in getting through 22 cycles of chemo, and going back to work. Now I just feel floored.

Sparrow

Hey there @vt. Congrats on your first post, and a warm welcome to the forum!
I'm sorry about your new polyps.. and the stage 4 diagnosis. It's no wonder that you feel floored. I'm sorry that your consultant treated you like that. I hope you will still be able to have HIPEC. I know there are quite a few people on here who have had successful HIPEC treatments on the forum. Hopefully they will be along to reassure you. Good luck going forward. Hugs :x::x:

HH79

Hi V! (It's me! 'shine' Helen ; @vt
Hope you've been able to do something nice this evening to try and distract yourself. Tomorrow is a new and better today. I'm sure you're HIPEC isn't in jeopardy. @Chris82 @Pitstop @Baxter2 have had HIPEC they may be able to help. Lots love. :x::x::x:

Chris82

Hi @vt welcome to the forum. As @HH79 has said, I've had HIPEC and the decision over whether to go ahead is pretty in depth. It will come down to the surgeons at Basingstoke and what they think. When is your surgery at Basingstoke due?

Sorry you are faced with this uncertainty.

Bridget55

Hi @vt. I would follow up directly 're the letter asking why they cannot treat you. Is it that they cannot treat you now but later because of the polyps. Think it's important to establish the facts..sounds like yoi have been chasing it down.
Need to get an appt at Basingstoke with your point of contact asap and prepare all the questions. Try and keep positive..difficult I know. You will navigate through this. I've just had HIPEC so any questions you can also message me :x::x::x::x:

vt

Thanks everyone. I am currently due to be admitted on 13th June, with the op on the 15th. Now everything is in turmoil on my side as don't know when and if it's still going ahead. I spoke to Sian yesterday one of the peritoneal malignancy nurses, and she couldn't really help me until Mr Dayal had seen the letter. This was my first colonoscopy as was diagnosed by complete bowel obstruction on a CT Scan, after everyone thought I was just severely constipated. Has anyone else had several polyps? I thought they weren't too bad to find, and they would only be pre cancerous at most. Me being naive and always on the positive side of things I guess. If I do still get to have HIPEC, I will be bothering you all non stop, you'll be sick of me! :x::x:

Pitstop

How very upsetting for you @vt, I think what they will do is re-discuss your situation in the Basingstoke MDT to decide their plan of action. Maybe you could contact Basingstoke & find out when they are due to discuss your case, then you can phone and find out the info after. Stay positive, this doesn't necessarily mean you won't get the surgery & HIPEC, it may just be that they have a bit more to snip out. I've got everything crossed for you that this will still go ahead on 13th June :x::x::x:

Baxter2

Hi @vt and welcome to the forum! I've also very recently had Cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC at Basingstoke in March. I was referred there way back in May 2016 and it wasn't until October 2016 I had my laparoscopy to assess followed by even more chemo, liver resection in Jan 2017 then CRS and HIPEC in March. I believe they continually assess and discuss cases at their MDT meetings and feel sure they will be doing this for your case. I really do understand your anguish though. I've been there! Sending lots of love, hope and hugs! 💙💛💜💚❤️

vt

Hi all.Just to say had my sleeping pill to get a sound night before HIPEC day tomorrow.
Not as apprehensive as I thought, now I've met several surgeons, anaesthetists, physios, stoma nurse, dieticians etc...so that had better not backfire! xxc

Baxter2

Hi @vt sending you all my very best wishes for your surgery tomorrow. Try not to worry, once you're off to sleep, the surgeons will get busy and before you know it, you'll be awake and have it all behind you! ❤️💛💚💙💜

vt

Thank you for your help and support. I'm strangely excited :x::x::x:

Bridget55

Hi @vt hope all gone well today. Sorry missed the thread yesterday. Feel feee to ask questions during recovery. I'm 7 weeks post op recovery from Hipec. You are in the safest hands :x::x:

Chris82

Sorry I only just saw this too. We'll be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing from you soon :x: