Welcome, Guest. Please sign in or register.

Did you miss your activation email?

Stage 4 bowel cancer

MaggieMae

Just diagnosed

Just back from the hospital with the news that I didn't want to hear - Stage 4 cancer of the cecum which has spread to my lungs and peritoneum. My treatment package is being discussed on Friday. I feel strangely calm about things at the moment and I am determined to fight this dreadful disease.

tattieannie

How are you keeping? :x:

MaggieMae

I'm not too bad thank you tattieannie. I find out tomorrow about PICC or Hickman line. I'm booked in for a blood transfusion on the 13th as I'm anaemic. I'm assuming my treatment won't start until after that but it will be 6 sessions of 5FU and oxaliplatin. I'm finding the waiting hard but I'm told a few days won't make any difference to the outcome. Hope you are OK xxuote]Quote from @tattieannie:
How are you keeping?[/quote]

tattieannie

No a few days wont matter. Just have to get your line. I got a picc line last year for a few months and so much handier as just plug in. Only down side is just have to watch getting a shower. You'll probably get blood then chemo. The oxaliplatin goes for your feeling in your hands re cold so don't worry about that but the chilled section in your local shop wont be your best friend but you'll get there. I had my chemo yesterday, came home and bed by eight, its what works for me. Don't you worry a thing about this wee blip, that's all it is. We all get them. Today is one day closer😊 :x:

MaggieMae

That sounds like a good reason to send the other half shopping! Not my favourite activity. I'm at the hospital today finding out about about the line so that's one more hurdle. I think I'm resigned to the fact that I need to take things one day at a time and the medical team know best. I hope you are feeling well after your chemo. Onwards and upwards. xxxxx

Quote from @tattieannie:
No a few days wont matter. Just have to get your line. I got a picc line last year for a few months and so much handier as just plug in. Only down side is just have to watch getting a shower. You'll probably get blood then chemo. The oxaliplatin goes for your feeling in your hands re cold so don't worry about that but the chilled section in your local shop wont be your best friend but you'll get there. I had my chemo yesterday, came home and bed by eight, its what works for me. Don't you worry a thing about this wee blip, that's all it is. We all get them. Today is one day closer😊

Beck R

How are things going @MaggieMae?

MaggieMae

Hello Beck R - things are all in place now. PICC line fitted on Tuesday followed by a blood transfusion. 6 sessions of 5FU start on 25th and they may add other things into the mix along the way. Seems to be taking a long time to get going but I have faith my medical team know what's best. Hope you are doing OK. Maggie :x::x:

eyeofthetiger

Hi @MaggieMae Glad to hear you are all booked in and ready for the chemo. I started my 6 sessions of 5fu/folfox 2 weeks ago and it went well with minimal side effects so I made the most of it just in case things change. :x::x::x::x:

MaggieMae

@eyeofthetiger Pleased to hear things are going well for you. I hope it continues that way. :x::x::x::x:

Bridget55

Hi @MaggieMae I was diagnosed with similar with spread to piroteneum. There was a big delay post surgery to start chemo. Very frustrating as just want to get started on it. Had 8 rounds. 5fu and irinotecan. You will find once you are on the chemo you will establish a good routine. enjoy the wait time as much as you can.. I was always anxious to get started and the drs kept mentioning it wouldn't matter although ohyschologically it feels like it does. Sounds like you have a good plan. We are here for you to support. Bridget :x::x:

MaggieMae

Hello @Bridget55 thank you for sharing your experiences. I just keep thinking that the time delay will affect the outcome of the treatment. I'm sure my medical team know what they are doing but when you are told the cancer is incurable you just want to give yourself the best possible chances of staying alive for as long as possible. I'm sure I'll feel better after the PICC line is fitted tomorrow- at least I will feel like things are moving ahead. Thank you for your support. Maggie :x::x::x:

Bridget55

Hi @MaggieMae I felt exactly the same way from the same logic point of view. I had a portacath fitted and they told me it would be 10 days healing after that. My surgery was 28th July and eventually started chemo 19th Oct. I remember the wait being a difficult time. You will feel better after picc line in ..just push them for a start date. Good luck with everything tomorrow. A bit bitter sweet as in the sense of a step on the plan to chemo. Keep us posted. :x:

MaggieMae

Thank you @Briget55 - my chemo starts on 25th June so just over a week to wait. :x::x:

Bridget55
Quote from @MaggieMae:
Thank you @Briget55 - my chemo starts on 25th June so just over a week to wait.

Ok thanks @MaggieMae. Relax and do some nice things this coming week. Where are you based?

MaggieMae

@Briget55 - I'm in St Ives Cornwall. Beautiful part of the country and the weather is lovely at the moment. Going to spend some of the weekend with my 1 year old granddaughter so that should help take my mind off things! :x::x:

Beck R

Good to hear things are being put in place. I had to wait around eight weeks after surgery to have my chemo. The first three months the consultant only expected to slow the spread but it did actually work to shrink the tumours which was good news. I'm now three weeks into a three month break and have a scan on Friday and results from that at the beginning of July. Fingers crossed everything is still going in the right direction, however he did say that the first 3months show the best results and it may plateau, which is ok with me as long as the buggers don't grow back...!
Enjoy your time with your granddaughter :x:

MaggieMae

Thank you @Beck R. I hope your scan goes well on Friday. I'm going to make the most of this weekend in case I don't feel up to for a while. Just hope the beautiful weather we are having here in Cornwall lasts until then. Maggie :x::x:

Bridget55
Quote from @MaggieMae:
@Briget55 - I'm in St Ives Cornwall. Beautiful part of the country and the weather is lovely at the moment. Going to spend some of the weekend with my 1 year old granddaughter so that should help take my mind off things!

Lovely @MaggieMae love it down there. Did the walk to Zennor. Enjoy every moment B s

Beck R

Thank you @MaggieMae, everything crossed but I'm going to make the most of this summer come what may! :)
Enjoy the few more days in the sunshine, I personally found the first few chemo sessions not too bad, but got far more tired after the second round :x:

MaggieMae

Yes it is lovely a lovely walk to Zennor @ Bridget55 - I'm really privileged to live here. Maggie xx@Bridget55:
Lovely @MaggieMae love it down there. Did the walk to Zennor. Enjoy every moment B s[/quote]

MaggieMae

Enjoy the good weather while it's here @Beck R. I'm prepared for the tiredness. I just know that I'll have to give in and rest. xx
Thank you @MaggieMae, everything crossed but I'm going to make the most of this summer come what may!
Enjoy the few more days in the sunshine, I personally found the first few chemo sessions not too bad, but got far more tired after the second round[/quote]