Welcome, Guest. Please sign in or register.

Did you miss your activation email?

Life with bowel cancer

Brian

New booklet published this week!

Hello everyone! I just wanted to flag up this new booklet published by the charity this week. As many of you know, we have a Regaining Bowel Control leaflet, but this new booklet of the same name is much more detailed. Regaining bowel control after treatment can be a challenge. This booklet should certainly help those struggling with this! Happy reading. Hugs, B x

www.beatingbowelcancer.org/...ainingBowelControlBookletV1.0.pdf

Jon-T

Thank you @Brian, lots of good information in there.
Jon.

Lizalou

Very interesting, lots of useful information. And lots of new ideas so hopefully anyone who is struggling will be better prepared to ask for more advice and treatment.

Sparkles

Thanks @Brian for flagging this up .. Hopefully i will be having my reversal soon and will be needing all the help, tips etc i can get 😊 My only criticism *and i will probably be pulled up for this but im just being honest* is the photos they use, i found this to be the same on my practice ileostomy bags, Its always of the older generation, i feel that bowel cancer has no prejudice of age! And ive found as ive been going thru this process only being in my 30's constantly being referred to *and the pictures confirming this* to as an older persons disease is another punch in the gut reaffirming that i definitely shouldnt have bowel cancer being in my 30's and not my 60's (I am definitely NOT saying that its acceptable and ok to have this horrible disease when you are older)!!!! This probably seens silly and totally out of order to some people and to top it off im not the best at explaining what i mean ...... It would just be nice to see a different age range of people attached to Bowel Cancer, seeing a younger person *as well as older* wearing an ileostomy bag (or trying to regain control of your bowels) would make me feel more normal and not as self conscious about it .... You know me now, im not trying to offend, its just an opinion 🤔☺

Brian

@Sparkles No-one is going to be the least bit offended about you expressing your feelings on this matter, so put that thought to bed please! :D Thanks for the feedback. I'm copying @jogarnham into this thread as she will be really interested to hear your take on this. I hope that the information is useful to you as your treatment plan unfolds. Please do let us know of any other thoughts you have as time goes along. The charity are really open to patient feedback and have amended many of their publications over the years to keep things relevant. Thanks for taking the time to post! hugs, B :x:

springer michelle

Good point there @Sparkles :x:

Lady GT

I've already downloaded this, ready for His Lordship's reversals (fingers crossed). Lots of useful information.
You do make a good point @Sparkles and I bet you aren't the only person to feel that way. :x:

lindyloo

Hi @Brian thanks for this I've read it and has been a great help with Dave's recovery after his reversal because we were not given any advice what so ever before and after been left to do it on our own if it wasnt for this site don't know how we would have coped , yes nurses are on the other end of the phone but sometimes especially at weekend very hard to get hold of any way enough moaning ..... Oh and totally agree with you @Sparkles I've noticed that

Sparkles

Purely as an example! This is what i was sent home with and i also have lots of leaflets and booklets with the same images ..... I didnt feel like i had anything to relate to. It sort of reiterated "This cant be happening, im in my 30's for goodness sake" where as a photo of a younger person also wouldnt have lead to those thoughts and feelings ......... Also if the stigma and statistics where updated my cancer would have been picked up earlier and i wouldnt have been sent home with laxatives for 18 months because i was told i was "too young" to have Bowel Cancer!!

Baxter2

I agree with you 100% @Sparkles I've always thought this. Thank you for raising this ❤️💜💛💙💚

bexly33
Quote from @Sparkles:
Purely as an example! This is what i was sent home with and i also have lots of leaflets and booklets with the same images ..... I didnt feel like i had anything to relate to. It sort of reiterated "This cant be happening, im in my 30's for goodness sake" where as a photo of a younger person also wouldnt have lead to those thoughts and feelings ......... Also if the stigma and statistics where updated my cancer would have been picked up earlier and i wouldnt have been sent home with laxatives for 18 months because i was told i was "too young" to have Bowel Cancer!!

Hi Sparkled. I am 69 and went to see my GP well over 18 months ago with vague symptoms. She said I had constipation and was treated accordingly even tho there was a family history of bowel ca. I went back towards the end of last year as symptoms persisted but I was not overly worried. I had had screening year before. She referred me on the 2 week wait. I had a tel call 2 weeks later to say she was very sorry but had forgotten to refer me and she wd do it straight away! It is shocking especially as you are so young

Sparkles

Im so sorry to hear that @bexly33 its so sad! There needs to be some big changes! :x::x:

bexly33

It's happening to a lot of people I am afraid @Sparkles :x::x::x:

Chas

Thanks for highlighting the booklet Brian, I'm hoping for reversal later in year so the stories and advice are important to me. Ever the positive person I also liked to be prepared so it's very useful. Best wishes Charles

Cardiffgirl

This booklet is excellent, thank you for sharing. My husband is suffering with terrible diarrhoea. No one told us to reduce fibre. I've been thinking that I was feeding him healthy good stuff by giving him lots of vegetables and I've been making it worse