Welcome, Guest. Please sign in or register.

Did you miss your activation email?

General Discussion

Ex crinkly bag

Unsettled bowels after reversal

Hi, I had my stoma reversal last August and thought I was doing really well. Going to loo mostly only once a day. I haven't been able to drink milk, eat onions or eggs, a small price to pay I thought. However, for the last couple of weeks I've been unable to eat most vegetables or fruit without spending the next hour in the loo. I've been trying to avoid medication but has anyone else suffered these symptoms. Without being too graphic it almost seems like I don't empty out at the first visit to the loo and then all the nerves in my rectum just keep telling me I have to go again. It's becoming both annoying and embarrassing, especially if I'm in company.

suze

Why are you trying to avoid drugs?
My life is unbearable without loperamide!

Ex crinkly bag

Hi suze, I just.wanted to feel like my life isn't ruled by medication but after another disastrous weekend and more days off work I now realise I might have to give in and start taking loperamide . Don't you just hate what cancer does to people. I guess we just have to be glad that we are still here to be moaning about it. Have a good day

Jon-T

Hi @Ex crinkly bag, I am using loperamide every day and it helps most of the days when I avoid fat ( I had the gallbladder removed too).
Hi @suze nice to see you her again :)
Jon.

Juliem1969

Hi @Ex crinkly bag I think whatever operation we have our insides are never the same! I don't have a stoma but 2 years on from op and on chemo I still rely on immodium, I have episodes of having to rush to the loo especially I find after eating, I guess it's the treatment I'm on for part but also the effects of op xxx I would suggest immodium to make things more manageable for you :x::x:

suze
Quote from @Ex crinkly bag:
Hi suze, I just.wanted to feel like my life isn't ruled by medication
. I guess we just have to be glad that we are still here to be moaning about it. Have a good day

Exactly - I really don't think of it as cancer ruling me .. at all. I think of it as me ruling my life and I take it alongside a few other things like my calcium tablet and joint stuff which are more about getting old. And "getting old" feels great compared to getting dead. I am now more than ten years on from diagnosis and I was never predicted this life expectancy, so it's all good. Loperamide has no significant side-effects and it does a good job. Love yer Loppers.

:D

suze
Quote from @Jon-T:
Hi @Ex crinkly bag, I am using loperamide every day and it helps most of the days when I avoid fat ( I had the gallbladder removed too).
Hi @suze nice to see you her again
Jon.

HI Jon - good to see you too

I seem to be being sucked back in!

Tho I still dont like the format of this new forum design, so I guess I wont be sucked in to browsing very much!
:x:

suze

And that big red Cross - yuck - it's meant to be a casual nod of affection and it looks like a teacher's condemnation ..

<< sigh >> so I might not care about loppers but poor internet design stil bugs the hell out of me! haha

Terrish

Hi @Ex crinkly bag - I get the same feeling as you and it is very annoying!

I don't get it during the day but always at night, and it then keeps me awake. One thing that helps me to get rid of the feeling is doing pelvic floor lifts - when you tighten every thing up and pull those muscles upwards. I think I over stimulate my bowel at night by trying to empty everything out so I don't have to get up in the night and then the nerves carry on sending the signal - might be worth a try?

No idea why you can't suddenly eat certain foods but I found I couldn't eat wheat/gluten foods after six months. I wonder if for me it caused IBS and inflamed my bowels, and for a while after my reversal my bowels were not inflamed having not been used for a while. So perhaps it took that long before they started playing up. I am having a test for IBS/celiac having mentioned it to the surgeon but I think it is just an intolerance. :x:

Ex crinkly bag

Thank you everyone for your comments, it's nice to know that life isn't back to normal for other people too. Appointment with colorectal nurses tomorrow so will discuss with them. As is always the way though I've actually been feeling a bit better this week. Wishing you all well .

Lizalou

Hi @Ex crinkly bag
I say my surgeon 2 days ago, hopefully for the last time, so I asked lots of questions. Apparently it is standard to remove about 18 inches of bowel.....bound to have a huge effect on its performance. If we then need medical help or a careful diet, it is not surprising. Hope you get some help from your nurse.