Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Just Diagnosed

michael

Bit of a shocker!

Apparently its Stage C/T3/N2/M0.

Hey ho.

Mandy

Fantastic news so pleased :x:

Brian

@michael Heartwarming new to start my day. Thanks so much for posting.We need more stories like this to balance the challenges that we all face. Hope the bottles were popping well and that you can now step forward with confidence. Hugs, b :x:

GD1962

@michael
marvellous news :) !!!

Lady GT

What a great outcome @michael , congratulations! I hope you both gave that Babycham a good seeing to last night. It really IS encouraging to all of us, to hear positive stories like yours, so thank you for posting.
Onwards and upwards ....
:D

michael

Firstly many thanks to everyone for all your kind wishes.

I have to say that I was not aware such a downward reclassification (sic) could be made and, notwithstanding I'm a glass half full sort of cove, am completely reconciled to being reclassified back up again just when I'm not expecting it (I still have the chemo to address).

If there's a lesson learned, especially for newly diagnosed patients, the reference to historic datasets is useful as a guide to treatment regimes, but completely fatuous as an extrapolative tool for predicting outcomes.

Sorry to say that Nicola rather abused the hospitality last night and fired off an email to the surgeon asking to be put back on the right hand. Civil partnership discussions are suspended.

Best

Michael
:x::x::x::x:

sweetcheeks

@micheal , you do have a way with words 😊, best wishes you and Nicola , it really is fab news
:x::x:

Baxter2

@michael 😂😂😂

Rach

@michael wonderful news :x::x:

Meezermum

@michael this is such positive news and certainly gives us hope 👍👍👍. Have you considered asking Nicola to talk to a counsellor about changing sides 😀

CD1966

That is fabulous news @michael !

Polly 1

Great news :x::x:

steve707

Great news @michael, you need to keep that Nicola under control, sending emails like that to the surgeon. good luck and all the best to you both. ( had better not leave Nicola out )

Clancy

@michael, I do hope you sipped your babycham out of the authentic babycham glasses.:x::x:

Lori

@michael that's great news. Go mad and crack open another Babycham I say 🍸🍸🍸 :x::x:

Wendywood

Fab news @michael ..... am delighted for you! Uplifting to hear your great news :x::x::x:

michael

Good evening everyone, Nicola (Michael’s stoma) here.

Firstly, many thanks again for all the encouragement to celebrate recent events, which we did, and our best wishes go out to everyone as always, meanwhile as Michael is watching the Dambusters (yet again) I’ve grabbed the laptop.

Having been told by the chief oncologist in Edinburgh that we would not require Xelox, we were surprised to be told by our local oncologist that our treatment plan comprised the full Xelox dosage over 4 cycles. A short discussion followed, statistics were discussed, the opinion revised and a Capecitabine course prescribed.

This volte-face seems worth sharing.

Michael and I would stress that we have the highest admiration for the technical abilities of the health professionals and sympathise with their caseloads, however we detect that this systematic approach to treatment, or the “gold standard” as it is usually referred to, is over-formulaic and litigious based allowing only limited scope for professional judgement. It seems curious to embark on a treatment plan forearmed simply with a range of amendments to address anticipated side effects; surely it would be preferable to tailor the treatment to the patient’s individual lifestyle rather than to a matrix.

We share this not as evidence of any kind of triumph over expert opinion as we have no expert knowledge, furthermore, Michael and I are well aware that we may live (or not) to regret it.

Moral of the story? Today’s patient must also adopt the role of personal physician.

Incidentally, following my reversal, Michael reckons I now resemble a slice of salami slapped on a piece of rather mouldy white bread. This seems both cruel and tactless. Relations remain frosty.

Best,
Nicola
:x::x::x::x:

Lady GT

Dear Nicola,

Thank you for taking time out to keep us updated, even though @michael had nothing better to do than watch yet another re-run. I don't know how you put up with him!
I'm glad you persuaded him to think clearly about the treatment options offered, and that you were able to guide him to a decision which suits you both, rather than slipping into the one-size-fits-all 'gold standard'.
It's a reminder that we DO have choices, if only we are brave (and informed) enough to exercise them.
Watch out for those Cap tablets though, if you protest loudly enough, you may force him to change his diet. It will be an interesting battle.
I will close by wishing you all the best and hoping that your switch to the 'other side' isn't causing you too many problems.
Slice of salami indeed ... the cheek of the man!
:)

Lizalou

Hi Nicola and @michael
I hope this is going to turn into a book, it will be a best seller. @Lady GT can help you write it. Enjoy sharing the royalties with each other!

Tell Michael I was only advised 5fu, the equivalent of cap and, 2 years after diagnosis, I am fitter than I have been for ages.
Best wishes to you both :x::x:

lindyloo

Hi @michael just come across you love the way you write your upbeat sense of humour good luck with your treatment :x:

LABluebell

Dear Nicola
Delighted to hear that you are soldiering on cheerily in your new residence - I hope that you are enjoying the new vista.
Pleased too to hear that you have made it clear to Michael who is boss,
So sorry that he has been so nasty about your complexion - hope you don't have to apply further sanctions to persuade him of your unique beauty. :x::x: