Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

When bowel cancer returns

Bob

Treatment Stopped

As I feared the Lonsurf hasn’t worked and all tumours have continued to grow. The Scan report only addressed the largest of the tumours this time and included the following… “the peritoneal deposits have increased in size (for example 6.7x3.6cm increased to 7.4x4.5cm; 6.5x5.5cm increased to 7.0x5.4cm) suggesting disease progression. The lesion in the liver porta area is more bulky, difficult to measure, clearly involving the anterior wall of the inferior vena cava.”
So, all treatment stopped; the inferior vena cava involvement is new and somewhat concerning, as this is the biggest and also the thinnest walled vein in the body, taking the deoxygenated blood back to the heart from the lower limbs.
My Oncologist suggested referral to The Royal Marsden for Phase 1 trials and I should hear something next week. I’m really in two minds about this. Half of me wants to grab at any option whilst the other says make the most of the remaining time whilst I’m currently still reasonably fit, the tumours aren’t causing any discomfort yet and it’s only the side effects of the numerous chemo’s that have made life difficult. I think I will see the Doctor conducting the trial and see what is involved before making a decision. The Royal Marsden is also some distance away, Gail doesn’t drive and the trials are usually all consuming time wise.
Whilst there will be no more Oncology appointments at Maidstone, both my Oncologist and Macmillan nurse have assured me that they are there for me if needed at any time. Other than that it’s down to my Community Nurse at the Heart of Kent Hospice, who is always at the end of the phone for help and advice and has already been to see me a couple of times over the past few months. Bob :x:

Flames

Sorry reading this. Sending love and thoughts to you and your family💕 You have often helped me and so many others, you are a true superstar :x::x:

desiderata

I have always read your posts @Bob, for their honesty and dignity. My heart reaches out to you and your family sending you love and peace. X❤:x:

Michela

Hi @Bob
I'm heartbroken to read your update Bob. Maybe I'm a dreamer but I never thought it would come to this. I thought with all the progress that's been made, that a cure would be found and you're so invincible.

You were one of the first to respond to me when I joined BBC and I don't know what I would have done without your support and good humour. You are a tower of strength for all of us.
Wishing you lots of love, hugs and prayers :x::x::x:

Mistyalpine

Hello @Bob ... I hope that you are feeling peaceful, im sure you are enjoying family and pets time to the fullest... blessings to you all :x::x:

Lauren5429

I’m so sorry to read this latest news @Bob - I don’t honestly know what to say, other than just sending love and strength to you and your family at this horribly difficult time. Enjoy every minute you have with each other :x::x::x:

John2628

Dear @Bob. you don’t know me directly, but I send my healing prayers and good wishes to you Sir. Please God fate will yet play a part, our journey is such an unpredictable one who really knows. God bless you.

springer michelle

Thinking of bob. Worrying we havent heard from anyone

CD1966

I was just thinking the same.

DianeS

Hope he is ok ❤️❤️❤️

Michele

Me too, when I pop into the forum I always look for bob. Thinking of you @Bob and Gail :x::x::x::x:

Sparrow

Thinking of you too @Bob 💜 and Gail :x::x::x:

sweetcheeks

My thoughts are with you @Bob :x::x:

jean

Thinking of you and sending prayers to you xxx @Bob

Jani

Has anyone heard anything about @Bob ? Can anyone get a message to him / his family letting them know we are thinking of him and them? I often find him in my thoughts.
Huge hugs if you see this Bob :x::x:

mem

I also think a lot about @Bob too, @Jani. More huge hugs from me Bob :x::x:

Michela

Hope you are ok Bob ?
Love, hugs and prayers :x::x::x: