Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

jogarnham

SIRT - access to this treatment is under threat

We've been advised that SIRT will no longer be available from 31 March 2017, as the period when it was funded through Commissioning Through Evaluation is coming to an end. SIRT will then be evaluated by NICE in a process that could last up to a year and there is no guarantee that it will become available on the NHS again. We've written to the NHS to express our real concern at this decision - this is an extract from our letter:

"There is already considerable data on SIRT, from clinical trials and in particular the SIRFLOX study, to show significant improvements in liver control and that this treatment is safe. A further reduction in treatment options post-Cancer Drugs Fund would be devastating news for the bowel cancer patients and relatives that our charities support."

The NHS have replied that they are sticking to this decision. If you or the patient that you care for would like to support us in this campaign, please direct message me. Also if anyone would like to share their story of SIRT treatment, that would be really useful.

Chris82

Thanks for alerting us to this. Another very disappointing decision on NHS access to treatment.

Juliem1969

Cancer treatments seem to be taking the brunt of cuts, I only asked my oncologist about this last week and he said he didn't think it was funded!

haich

Ive had a chat recently with an intervention radiologist about having thus treatment - he confirmed that it will be taken off, but the reason being that so far it has not shown to improve overall survival - perhaps as there have not been sufficient numbers nor double blind control studies. It has shown to improve the liver condition ie effect on lesions. Ive decided due to the tumultuous year ive had and wishing to enjoy xmas to postpone treatment till January next year.

Alwyn

Although It hasn't been shown to improve survival, it is another treatment option for those who can't have surgery and have run out of chemo options. So it seems very wrong that it is being removed, makes me very angry.

Juliem1969

Me too @Alwyn , there's plenty of other areas they could cut instead of cancer treatments... We didn't invite cancer into our bodies!

SarahF

I do not live in the UK so I am not sure if my contribution in helpful, but I had two rounds of SIRT last year in Ireland and I have had a very successful outcome.
Briefly, I was diagnosed with multiple liver mets in Nov 2014, and the primary was found in my sigmoid colon. I had FOLFOX which reduced the tumour volume, but I still had approx 16 areas of metastases in both lobes of my liver. I was assessed for SIRT and they decided to go ahead, although they would have to do it in two stages which they had not tried here before. I had the first round in March, and the second in May. I had very little side effects.
I had a PET scan in August 2015 which showed that all areas except 1 in my liver were now "cold". I was able to have my primary removed in October, followed by FOLFIRI, then a liver resection in April 2016. I have had another round of FOLFIRI, and while I still have one met around my portal vein, it is calcified and hasn't grown in 12 months.
The chemos I have had made some difference, but the treatment that brought me from having a liver crammed with cancer, to a liver that had one quiet but unmoving met, is without doubt the SIRT.
Today is the two year anniversary of my diagnosis, and my prognosis today is vastly better than it was on that day in 2014.

Alwyn

Thank you for sharing that @SarahF and so pleased to hear how well it worked for you. I have never had SIRT but it has been mentioned to me as a possible treatment option more than once. The thought that this option , both for myself and others, may be taken away is appalling. I think I might have to start a petition!! :x::x:

Baloo

Hi Sarah, thank you for sharing your story. My partner is waiting for results of his SIRT treatment this week.

Can you tell me if a "cold" tumour is non cancerous now? Also if the remaining tumour that is calcified is operable?

Thank you, Maxine

Quote from @SarahF:
I do not live in the UK so I am not sure if my contribution in helpful, but I had two rounds of SIRT last year in Ireland and I have had a very successful outcome.
Briefly, I was diagnosed with multiple liver mets in Nov 2014, and the primary was found in my sigmoid colon. I had FOLFOX which reduced the tumour volume, but I still had approx 16 areas of metastases in both lobes of my liver. I was assessed for SIRT and they decided to go ahead, although they would have to do it in two stages which they had not tried here before. I had the first round in March, and the second in May. I had very little side effects.
I had a PET scan in August 2015 which showed that all areas except 1 in my liver were now "cold". I was able to have my primary removed in October, followed by FOLFIRI, then a liver resection in April 2016. I have had another round of FOLFIRI, and while I still have one met around my portal vein, it is calcified and hasn't grown in 12 months.
The chemos I have had made some difference, but the treatment that brought me from having a liver crammed with cancer, to a liver that had one quiet but unmoving met, is without doubt the SIRT.
Today is the two year anniversary of my diagnosis, and my prognosis today is vastly better than it was on that day in 2014.

SarahF

Hi @Baloo,
When a tumour comes up as cold it means that there is no detectable overactive cell division going on, so whatever is in there is not growing, or growing at a normal rate. This does not mean that there is definitely no cancer there, just that it is currently inactive. When you have had cancer in a tissue or organ, no one can ever really say it is fully gone unless they can cut it all out, including a ring of normal tissue from around it. Even then, if cancer has already spread in the body, it is unlikely anyone will ever say you are "cured", even if there is no visible cancer on scans.
My remaining bit of tumour is not operable as it is stuck to two main blood vessels in my liver.
I am being considered for stereotactic radiotherapy, electroporation or intra-arterial chemotherapy, hopefully one of those will be suitable for me and will get rid of the last visible tumour. And fingers crossed nothing new grows!
Good luck to your partner with his results :x:

Cakey68

Cakey68

There always seems to be a spot that is difficult to treat . I hope we all get to the operating / cured stage :x:

Billie

Hi @jogarnham After reading that SIRT has had the funding taken away I was very devastated. My husband was due to have SIRT & just wanted to inform you that we were very lucky as the Consultant pushed for the SIRT to be done once the 3rd line chemo stopped working. Luckily we had seen him in September for a second opinion as our Oncologist at another hospital didn't rate anything above chemo and 3 had failed! My hubbie had the SIRT this wednesday and is home. He feels like he's had a huge dose of chemo, and is sleeping alot. He has nausea, fatigue & diahorrea but no more than with the folfiri, folfox and Lonsurf. Will keep you informed as to how he is & IF it works.

Jaynesr

Just FYI, my Onc tells me there's something coming 'online' shortly that's not dissimilar to SIRT. That's all I know at present though! 🤞

Juliem1969

Sounds interesting @Jaynesr please let us know if you find anything more :x::x::x:

Jaynesr

@Juliem1969 - am having some down time from forum to help keep me sane but you asked about this so wanted to update you. It's not exactly like SIRT at all really but is likely to become available soon for liver dominant metastasis - If you look up the following, it should explain. Hope it's of some help!
Hepatic arterial infusion pump chemotherapy for colorectal liver metastases:
💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼

Juliem1969

Thanks @Jaynesr I understand x I'll have a look, thanks for sharing :x::x::x::x::x:

Swan

Has the funding for this stoped now does anyone know? Thanks Swan

lynn collier

Hi swan my hubby consultant told as yes end of march 2017 this is so unfair for people :x::x: