Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Younger people with bowel cancer

Sean

Hey Everyone!

Hey guys!

I'm a 32 yr old male and I have recently been diagnosed with colo-rectal and liver cancer, of which there is a fair bit :( I havn't actually been told my staging, tho i can tell by the way I have been rushed onto chemo (fol-fori) it's very advanced.

My bowels had been very erractic for the past 8-12 months, at the start of the year I became very constipated, GP prescriped Laxido, which eventually started to help things along.

Forward to the last week of April, when I started developing a very heavy, and severe pain in my liver. Which led me bringing myself into A&E. I told the docs I had a bad pain in my liver, tho they were certain it was my appendix/gallstone. Was too young, apparently, to have Liver problems. Few days later an MRi revealed I had several large liver lesions, largest being 8.2x8x8 CM another of similar size and others dotted around the liver. Let home and scheduled for the biopsy 3 weeks later. Done the biopsy and went of holiday happy as larry, as one of the registers said I was fine to drink. Given I thought it was drink related, i figured it wasn't anything serious. Had a few beers on holidays, which mainly resulted in me violently spewing my guts every where. I came home severely drained of energy/strength, knowing something was in fact, seriously wrong with me.

Was first told on the 16th of May that my lesions were in fact malignant tumours, suspected of being secondary. A further colonscopy revealed the primary to be colo-rectal, still waiting on the biopsy results of this, tho its pretty certain.

Started my first treatment Monday (fol-fori).

This was all pretty devastating to hear first of, but I am absolutely determined to beat this thing back to where it came from!

Look forward to engaging with you all on this journey!

Sean.:x:

Lizalou

Really pleased to read your update @Sean. Onwards and upwards!

Sean

Thank you ladies @eyeofthetiger @Lizalou. Im still doing folfori & cetuximab. Bit confusing, as i was under the impression, that combo had run it's course. I didn't see the main onc. Registrar said it was the best available for me :-/ Think im gonna skip the face rash pills for a few days - see how it get's on, as i believe that's a good indicator of how it's working for me.:x:

mem

That's a really positive round-up of things @Sean and it's great to hear ☺️ :x::x:

GD1962

Hi @Sean pleased to hear you got funding sorted and good luck with the rest :)

Brian

@Sean So glad to read such a great update on your situation fella! Is it wise to drop the rash pills? They take a while to build up in your system. Whatever your decision, I hope it all works out for you. You're doing brilliantly bud. hugs, B :x:

Alan C

@Sean Well done mate :)your progress is fantastic.

Sean

What it is @Brian is that if i don't get the rash, or a minimal amount - it's a good indication that the treatment isn't doing the desired job. So why continue ? Just gonna do a small experiment with it for a few days. Don't really see the point, when it impairs life quality. I sure don't want to switch chemos, as i'm used to this one and it's play. I'd like to know its having an effect before the next scan. I should be seeing the main onc next time, so hopefully get some reassurences that this is the right track.

Bear G

Great update @Sean , especially that the funding has been sorted.
:x::x:

DianeS

Morning @Sean just catching up with everyone's updates and wanted to say how pleased Iam that you got your funding for cetuximab, and hope it's working for you. Keeping everything crossed for a great outcome ❤️❤️

Rach

@Sean great to hear that the funding has at last been sorted. I hope it works wonders :x::x::x:

kdan

@Sean good luck with it all. Nice one for spelling "craic" the right way! :)
Sounds like you've done great since the diagnosis, so wishing you the best with rest of journey.

Sean

It's the only way @kdan!

Met with the liver surgeon on Monday. Say's my liver has grown back 'reasonably well' which i interpret as, not so great. Reckons i have 75% of it back. The kicker of this meeting was finding out they didn't actually remove all the tumours! One was left in, due to its awkward position. Will have to be done open surgery. He thinking was to not leave me too drained, with a view to removing when i have the bowel op. We were all under the impression the liver was cleared. Still waiting to see the bowel surgeon, to see what he thinks. For the time being im to craic on with chemo till next scan.
In the middle of rd22 and it's going ok

P.s im back on the face tabs, as there has been a definite reaction @Brian

Baxter2

Hi @Sean. This sounds pretty positive although I wonder why they didn't convert to open surgery during your liver op?? Anyhow, as you say, crack on with the chemo. Glad you're back on the rash/spot tablets! I tried same once and quickly realised they are a good idea!! Take care! 💚💜💛💙❤️

Brian

@Sean Thanks for the update. Glad you know the tabs are serving a purpose as it makes taking them less irritating. Hope healing continues. Build up your strength, eat well, do light exercise when you can. It will all help get you ready for the next round. You ARE doing well given your starting points. Just hang in there; little steps remember? Hugs, B :x:

John2628

Hi @Sean fingers firmly crossed it all comes together for you. You are young to have already been through so much Mate, but you've clearly got a fighting attitude which will get you through this journey. Good luck Sean :x:

Clancy

Hi @Sean, your liver surgery was end of June? It seems to have grown back pretty well. The surgeon told me the volume grows back but not the exact shape, mine is like a blob. Not all my lesions were removed, 3 appeared where the chemo and Panitumumab had shrunk them away. I think mine just woke up again. They will go in and get it when you have your bowel resected. Good luck with everything.:x::x:

CD1966

Hi Sean, hope you're not feeling disheartened as it sounds as if your liver has grown back pretty well in a couple of months! My brother's also grew back well too, which stood him in good stead when he had to have some liver recurrence removed about 18 months later. I'm sure your team will do just as well for you too, when they do your bowel op, but in the meantime your chemo will shrink what's there anyway. Your positive attitude will get you through this!

Sean

@Baxter2 i can only think it was with him assuming im to have the bowel op fairly soon. Was told before the op, it was possible that it could be converted to open - if needed. They didn't.

Im not down about any of this guys, just baffled as to how we were led to believe it was all cleared. Quite confusing.

@Clancy mid June it was. He showed the shape of it, and it's definitely not the same shape as before. Bit of a blob like you say.

Thanks for the kind words @CD1966 @John2628

Hope you're all keeping well out there.:x:

John2628

@Sean when I had my robotic keyhole Bowel surgery(TME), they had to convert to open surgery midway through. Take care Buddy you are doing good :x:

GD1962

Hi @Sean

Glad to hear your just baffled, hope it works out for the best :)