Welcome, Guest. Please sign in or register.

Did you miss your activation email?

Talk to the Beating Bowel Cancer Nurses

Is bowel cancer successor???

Hi.My dad has had bowel cancer, and i've read on internet that bowel cancer is successor on family.Im still young but should i worry about getting bowel cancer cause my dad had it ?

Hi Visar and welcome to the forum, ik am sorry to hear that your dad has bowel cancer, it depends on your dad's age older people are more susceptible to having bowel cancer and it may not indicate that their offspring should have a problem. I was diagnosed at age 44 under fifty is considered very young and i ahve been told that my boys would need to go for scanning at an earlier age than normal at age 35.
I hope that helps and that the forum proves to be helpful and supportive for you!

wow i guess im to young then, im only 15 years old , thanks tongue

Vizar it is the age of your father that is important is he under fifty? You are around the same age as one of my son's he has only just turned 16. I am impressed with how positive you are and how you are trying to help other people on the forum with your advice! Have you found www.riprap.org.uk it is specifically for teens around your age whose paretns or family have cancer.

The general rule seems to be children start screening around 10 years earlier - my doctor said my kids will need to start at 18 (I've been diagnosed at 29).

That's interesting Anna i hadn't heard of that here, i was just told yes they need to be screened at age 35. Which would equate with what you were told as i was 44 when diagnosed and about to turn 45.

The NICE guidelines for England and Wales now clearly set out what people can reasonably expect to happen if a close member of their family is diagnosed with a bowel cancer, especially if there is a family or genetic link.

The 10 year rule is clearly written into these guidelines and can be used to speak to doctors if you are in the situation when this applies, so that screening commences at 10 years prior to the age of diagnosis of the immediate family member. The rules change a little if there is no strong established family link, or no genetic confirmation of risk, so it is worth asking to be referred to a genetic counselling service to find out more about risk to family members if you have any concerns.

Best wishes,

Thanks for making that clear Lilian i was just told 35 and didn't really think about the reasoning behind that. I have had genetic counselling myself and they couldn't determine a genetic cause in my case.