Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Younger people with bowel cancer

Ben81

Good Morning!

Hi,

I've been reading the forum for a while now and thought I should introduce myself.....

I was diagnosed with stage 4 rectal cancer last August and subsequently underwent 5 weeks Chemo/Radiotherapy to get the primary tumor under control. In December last year I underwent a liver resection during which 5 tumors were removed. The op was successful and achieved clear margins but I did end up with a nasty bile leak resulting in a 16 day hospital stay (A bile drain and endoscopy to place a stent sorted it out in the end). Having recovered from that I had an Abdominoperineal Resection 8 weeks ago to remove the rectal tumor. Again the op was a success and achieved clear margins. 3/22 lymph nodes were involved and there was evidence of vascular invasion. The end staging was T2N1M1.

I've got a permanent colostomy as a result of this op but look at that as a small price to pay if they have been able to give me a chance of beating this thing. Unfortunately there was also some bladder nerve damage and I currently have to self-catheterize to urinate. I'm told this may also be permanent but only time will tell!

I've just completed round 1 of 8 Capox sessions lined up over the next six months and am feeling pretty good all things considered. I've had a post op CT scan and am awaiting the results. Hopefully all clear and i can get on with the business of completing the chemo regime.

I've found reading about everyone's stories and experiences immensely helpful since I was diagnosed and was much better prepared for what was coming as a result.

I'm now concentrating my efforts on maintaining my fitness as much as possible during chemo and have been pleased to be able to get back in the gym over the last fortnight (even if I can't use the exercise bikes just yet). I thought that having benefitted so much from all your advice I should add my experiences to the forum and hopefully be of some help to anyone else about to tackle these challenges themselves.

All the best,

Ben

Baxter2

Oh wow! What wonderful news @Ben81! .......and don’t you look amazing!

Well done on the charity paddle!

sending all my very best wishes,

K 💚💛💙💜❤️

chrissie

Great news @Ben81 you’re looking great :x:

charleyb

Amazing amazing!! i grab hold of stories like yours, keep up the good work xxx @Ben81

Lizalou

Fantastic news @Ben81 and well done with the charity work.

palace1960

That is great news @Ben81 and very well done on the paddling for charity - cheers Ron

GD1962

Great news @Ben81 all the best :)

mem

Fantastic news @Ben81! And well done to you all for raising money for CR. Fab pic 🎅🏻! :x::x:

Lawsey

Well done you are most definitely up stream with a paddle. Best to you - stay Lucky

rebeccao

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Fantastic news , love stories like yours it gives us all hope. Keep on keeping on and live life to the full, looks like you do. Have a fantastic Christmas 🎄

Pam

Great news gives us all hope @Ben81 :x::x:

jinnyp

@Ben81 stories like yours give me hope for the future - so lovely to hear you are doing so brilliantly. :x::x:

1234annie

Fab news Ben!! You look great!! :x: :x:

CD1966

What absolutely great news @Ben81 - exactly the sort of thing we love hearing on here.

Bear G

Fab news and fab pic @Ben81
:x::x:

Clancy

Gosh@Ben81, looking really well Santa. Great photo.:x::x:

Polly 1

Great news @Ben81 thanks for keeping us up to date, you are looking really well

Michele

Fantastic news @Ben81 , you look great and well done for the paddle too :x::x::x:

LABluebell

Marvellous stuff @Ben81 Keep on paddling! Literally and metaphorically!! :x::x:

DianeS

Fantastic news @Ben81 :x::x: