Welcome, Guest. Please sign in or register.

Did you miss your activation email?

Life with bowel cancer

chools

What did you do today?

I'm not sure what other folk are like, but I still have some days when I feel completely 'whacked' from the moment I get up, and others where I manage to achieve quite a lot (by my standards). I try and do something everyday though even if it's just a walk.

Today wasn't a great day in that I felt really tired when I got up and spent the early part of the morning surfing, but then went on to bake some oatcakes, and started gardening before the rain drove me back inside - divided up the pots of mint we have with the idea of making a lot more fresh tea this summer.
Managed to make the tea and light the fire in time for my wife coming in, but I'm now exhausted and am slumped in a chair with my last cup of herb tea before bed

What did you manage to do today?

wikey

ccc by the way is an american group , cyclist combating cancer

i joined their email forum some time ago...
wikey

tumbleweed

I managed to do.... almost nothing yesterday. Not very inspiring, I know, but that's how it goes........up and down but at least increasingly with more ups. So a mixed bag really. unsure

Elainej

I have many frustrating days like that too! Today I officially retire from work after 23 years in the same place. My lovely colleagues have organised a 'do' this afternoon feels very strange not to be involved in the organisation. I keep asking if there is anything I can do but they are consistent in their refusal. Could be a very bad day for my diabetes because there are some seriously good bakers. So to all my fellow bbc fighters enjoy what you do today (for anyone on treatment today that will be endure). Today is the day we have. Hugs to all. xxxxxxxxx

Ivan

Managed to tear up some of the old rotten decking and with the help of my nephew got 50% of the new supports and decking replaced. It was a lovely day so reckon I'll have caught a few spring rays from space. ☺️
Just going to hospital in a few minutes to see the surgeon about getting a portacath fitted next Monday ready for chemo restarting Tuesday.
I hope everybody has had a smashing day whatever you did.
Ivan πŸ˜ƒ

lindsaycharles

I've been recovering from my colonoscopy which I had yesterday - a fair number of biopsies were taken so things are taking a while to 'settle down'. Been to visit someone - they were out, went to the tip and did some shopping, never wandering far from the loo!!

chelle73

I have spent my day kitten weak and sulky. I am going for ice cream never mind the elvis top lip and burning cold so there smile

itfc1959

Went into Norwich, did some shopping, had a coffee in Starbucks and then lunch in Ask Italian (seafood risotto). Lovely. Ah, the joys of relative normality that is week 3!

chelle73

I am jealous of week three smile

itfc1959

Not long now, Chelle. Get your table booked! In other news I will be seeing Dr Happy the Oncologist on Thursday. Can't wait!

suttons

Going to be painting today bit of a rush on to get our investment property finished, may be moving in there for a while before moving on to a larger property, we have 5 acres here but we have been looking at places with 40, Idea is to build a few houses on there for the family and use it as a small holding, we all work in the area we have been looking.

Off to see the oncologist on Thursday for the results of my CT scans last week, got the eeby jeebys going all ready so keeping busy is a good tactic. My Gold Coast daughter and grandkids are arriving on Friday in time for my 60th birthday bash on Saturday. We are having a rock and roll theme and I have a Karaoke machine with about six hundred songs and we are taking amps and guitars down for a jam session, we have lots of talented musicians in the family ( I am not one of them)

(((Hugs from the rainforest)))

Sheila

LesleyT

This morning I fell downstairs and while I was bumping down the top 4 stairs on my bottom, I didn't think about the laptop that was bouncing down the stairs too. No, I was thinking "I can't injure myself, Bryan has to go to his consultant review meeting on Wednesday and I have to drive."

Luckily I managed to stop and just stumble down the rest of the stairs. Now I ache all over, no bruises yet but I'll probably feel it tomorrow. It really made me realise how we "carers" really have to make sure we stay well - including not falling down the stairs.

I've finished writing out our questions for the review tomorrow. Holly the BBC nurse really empowered me this week when she told us to ask all the questions we wanted and not to hold back.

Best wishes to all and to all the carers - take care.

Lesley

Brian

Lesley, what a start to your day! Get the Arnica cream on those bruises. It's excellent stuff and a natural plant extract. I'm so pleased you've given feedback on here about the support and advice you received from the nurse helpline. It will encourage others who maybe feel nervous about making a call to seek professional support in this way. Big cheer for Holly! Hope all goes well at the review and that you feel confident afterwards. Hugs, B x

wikey

i have an email saying Nancy tagged me i a thread and it takes me to this thread , but i cant see where i have been mentioned ?? any thoughts? is it my failing eye sight ??

mikey wikey crikey

Mary HB
Quote from @LesleyT:
This morning I fell downstairs and while I was bumping down the top 4 stairs on my bottom, I didn't think about the laptop that was bouncing down the stairs too. No, I was thinking "I can't injure myself, Bryan has to go to his consultant review meeting on Wednesday and I have to drive."

Luckily I managed to stop and just stumble down the rest of the stairs. Now I ache all over, no bruises yet but I'll probably feel it tomorrow. It really made me realise how we "carers" really have to make sure we stay well - including not falling down the stairs.

I've finished writing out our questions for the review tomorrow. Holly the BBC nurse really empowered me this week when she told us to ask all the questions we wanted and not to hold back.

Best wishes to all and to all the carers - take care.

Lesley

Hi Lesley,

You're absolutely right about looking after yourself as a 'carer', I do hope your bruises aren't too uncomfortable for the next few days. Lots of soothing warmth on them, - if they are particularly painful, ice is an option and I agree with Brian lots of Arnica, although sometimes I use witch-Hazel instead.

In my locality, there are a few 'keep healthy' initiatives which 'carers' are encouraged to attend such as walking groups, - I help out at an exercise session at the swimming pool which is reserved for an hour for just the disabled/elderly/carers. It is so worth setting aside some time for yourself, perhaps you could see what's on in your area

All the best to you both, hope all goes well today

Love
Mary x

tumbleweed

Ouch Lesley, that sounds painful and I know exactly what you mean about the carer's health.

Sorry you've had a rough day or two, Chelle; hope the ice cream helped smile

wikey mikey crikey, your tagging problem made me laugh, so thanks for that! smile

Today is the end of week 2/start of week 3 for me, and that's always a psychological boost if nothing else. Washed fingertips briefly under cold running water and they didn't shriek at me! Also had a plum today (the ice cream craving has vanished - poof! just like that); thoroughly washed and trying to peel away as much of the 'dirty' skin as I could with my teeth. No photos taken for anyone's viewing entertainment.

tumbleweed

Woke up to snow today! Seems to be some settling on the higher ground but not down in the valley. Cleared to blue sky with clouds and blustering winds. Started a new blog yesterday which unfortunately is quite a sedentary activity so I may have to get the fit ball out and rock away with an electronic device perched on my lap - oh yeah, do I still have any working abs?

Also, tardiness on my part - only just rang up GP to book an appointment for blood tests next week. Guess what? No morning appointments on my pre-chemo day BUT when they offered me the next day and I refused it because that was my chemo day, they said "oh ok, we'll fit you in because you have to have it". Go NHS but sorry to have put you under pressure. Must say, my GP surgery has been rather splendid with appointments for this medical condition.

wikey

just ordered some more loperamide from the GP surgery...knees moaning at me after huge bike ride yesterday, 45 miles and nearly 4000 feet of climbing, wondered why i was feleing tired towards the end ! . Sue and i have been out for lunch , then to Cauldwells mill and bought 6kg of flour for my whole meal bread making , then ambled round a garden centre, then done the weeks shopping in Matlock and now catching up on tinternet before tea this evening and off to cheltenham tomorrow to see family once more.
wikey

Brian

You need some down time my friend. Hope the family are bearing up and that you have a good rest tonight before round two! hugs, B x

Ivan

Recovering from yesterday's deck laying shenanigans this morning. Few things sorted with regard to having to leave work again, had the sheepys for a walk for a couple of hours in the fields and just finished helping oldest daughter get her accommodation choices made for University later this year. Will really miss her..
Also just been watching the first free practice for MotoGP live from Qatar as the season starts again this weekend πŸ˜ƒ
Was going to pop to hospital and see a young friend of mine who I received a text off this morning stating "Local hero crashes badly and punctures lung" hahaha! Great sense of humour! he fell off his motocross bike yesterday apparently. He's Got lots of visitors going so I'll go see him when he's home as I don't want to catch an infection with op on Monday and chemo starting Tuesday. His Mum and Dad live up the street from me and he's worried sick that his mum is going to give him a right shouting at in front of his mates while laid up in hospital!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Hope everybody is OK and Mikey Wikey are you in practice for the upcoming Tour de Yorkshire!!
Ivan πŸ˜ƒ

wikey

hi Ivan

best wishes for all your treatment etc.
i thought my winter cycling might keep the weight off, but as usual i have put on 8 pounds or so over the winter, salads etc being stepped up now. i am all suited and booted this morning to head off to cheltenham again to go to another funeral, my cousins' mother see one brother over from ireland for next week and see my dear old mother and head back tomorrow, going to national memorial arboretum on way back and meeting sue and lucy there for a tour and lunch... cycling again sunday perhaps..we had snow yesterday morning sunshine later and very windy and cold in evening...! crazy
wikey