Welcome, Guest. Please sign in or register.

Did you miss your activation email?

Talk to the Beating Bowel Cancer Nurses

Claire76

Do I need to get this checked out yet?

Hi,

I'm 35 years old, and have had a couple of random changes in bowel habits for around the last three weeks. the first thing I noticed was that I was a bit constipated, lasting a few days. More recently, I have noticed my stools are looser, and thinner. I also have a feeling of constantly wanting to go to the toilet, as if there's a stool there, but then nothing happens when I try to go. I have also noticed that I have been passing mucus the last few days.

These symptoms are all very recent, and I know bowel cancer is rare in those under 50, but am wondering if I should go to my doctor. What investigations would he do?

My nan had bowel cancer twice, and died of it at the ripe old age of 91. My Dad died from cancer of the oesophagus which spread to his stomach at age 49 - I don't know if this increases my risk or not.

I'm hoping I'm over reacting. I have not noticed any blood - is this always a symptom?

Would really appreciate any advice or information on the first symptoms others noticed.

Thank you,

Claire

Claire76

He is particularly rubbish when dealing with emotional situations, so I think I'm thinking if I can avoid it I will! I had a miscarriage 4 months ago, and life has just been one big roller coaster since then really! If I can avoid any more drama in our life it would be good. But yes, if the boot was on the other foot, I would kill him!!! wink

I will tell him after Doctor on Tuesday though, if I need to......

I am happy to go on my own. If it comes to it and I have to have further investigations, I think I will need some company, but am ok to do this initial one.

Claire x

alisonhelen

That sounds fine Claire! I know exactly where you're coming from. My husband is absolutely no use at hospital appts, he gets bored waiting, never adds to the conversation in the consulting room, but I usually make him come when I get the results of MRI or CT scans as I feel he needs to know the truth from the horses mouth so to speak and he is usually more supportive after these visits. I on the other hand have to go with him to his as I need to know chapter and verse and he forgets to mention so many things, never prepares beforehand...... guess I'm just a control freak!

So sorry to hear about your miscarriage, you don't think this has anything to do with your symptoms do you? It depends how far along you were, if you had a D&C after etc. I'm sure Lilian will know if there could be any connection. Your GP will consider it though I'm sure.

Anyway, make sure you keep that appointment!

Hugs, Alison

Hazel

So Sorry Claire to hear about your miscarriage, i can't imagine how difficult that must be. Write down all your symptoms down when you go and any questions that have been on your mind, i never do and always end up leaving and half way home thinking damn i forgert to ask that!.....i never learn so please you learn from my mistakes smile Good luck Hazel

Claire76

Well, I was a bit rubbish! She felt my tummy, and said all felt fine. My family history should not be related and due to my age it would be extremely rare to have bowel cancer. She said that she could do a rectal examination but didn't feel it necessary at the moment and I didn't push it!

So, I'm going for blood tests next week and have to take a fecal occult blood test into the surgery and they'll let me know if anything untoward comes back.

Feeling a bit relieved, and thinking whilst I'm waiting for results to come back i'll just be really aware of my symptoms and if they persist/get worse I'll go back again.

Thanks for all your support folks

Claire

Hazel

Claire that is great, at least you weren't sent away with paracetamol. You are having blood tests and a fecal occult blood test, she is right due to your age it is rare.....but not impossible so it is good that she has still sent for tests to check things out for sure.
And you are right keep aware, hopefully the results will be clear......we are all here in the meantime, this waiting bit is! the worst.

Hazel

suze

Fingers crossed you are ok, claire! Well done for getting yourself on the GP's radar .. just make sure you stay on it if your symptoms do persist!

wink

Claire76

Thanks, I was thinking you were all gonna shout at me for not insisting on a referral/rectal examination!! But yes, am happy that she is looking into it.

Claire

Hazel

Noooo a rectal examination is pants! excuse the pun, and it isn't the important thing in terms of the first visit. I have only had it done once or twice....not nice the important thing is that tests are being done.

alisonhelen

Yes agree with the others, you are on the radar should symptoms persist and if they do then certainly get yourself seen again and perhaps the next time you may need an examination. Unfortunately it is becoming increasingly more common for young people to be diagnosed, I was at an event with my colo-rectal nurse yesterday and she was telling me of young people presenting with bowel cancer cases are soaring because of our increasingly indolent lifestyle and she was talking about people in their 20's!

Do hope your results come back clear, do you have a follow up appointment?

Well done Claire!

Best wishes, Alison

Claire76

Ok, so if the blood tests and fecal test comes back ok, can I be pretty much certain all is well? I haven't got a follow up appointment, she just said that they would contact me if any probs with test.

It's so weird, have just spent the afternoon/early evening baking with my little boy, and it's probably the first day for two weeks I haven't thought about it all too much. Sort of feels out of my hands now, relieved that tests are being done, and I'll just wait and see what they show.

This forum is fantastic, and the support and information you guys give out is amazing. thank you!

Claire

Hazel

Well the tests are there to determine if anything is wrong and if they don't pick anything up then voila!, but there have been occasions where the screening hasn't picked up, i think this is one for the nurses to put the definitive answer to.
Can't think of anything better to keep your mind off things than baking with your boy! smile...apart from baking without! mine ....so messy smile

Claire76

Thanks so much Hazel. Yes, the kitchen is covered and we now have a ton of fattening cakes to eat lol

Even if tests come back ok, I really will keep pushing if I feel symptoms are still there. Have had personal experience of family members being diagnosed too late......and loads through my job. Bizarrely I sat in a 'breaking bad news' mtg with macmillan nurses and a client yesterday, and of course pushed for all the answers/options...... we just don't do it for ourselves do we!

alisonhelen

Yes, agree with Hazel.... BUT keep vigilant! Go back if anything else happens or symptoms return, you now know the value of getting things checked out if only for your peace of mind. The fact that you've been before with symptoms should be flagged on your records, but don't quote me on that! Lol! So your GP should be more concerned and take the appropriate actions.

Enjoy your baking and other activities you will now feel more like doing!

Alison

PS Just tried posting this and you posted your reply to Hazel while I was writing, guess with your job you knew all along you should be isiting your GP, just needed a shove in the right direction! Here's hoping you won't need another one!

Hazel

Yup physician heal thyself! You sound very grounded Claire and you know what you have to do, you are spot on, just be mindful.

alisonhelen

I think we're all the same Claire! I post on here and advise people and then do something silly myself. After an op a few months ago I was still getting pain and feeling very fed up and down..... phoned the nurses here about it and they said, "Alison you are still taking your painkillers aren't you?"....... Doh! How stupid did I feel! We live and learn!

Your job sounds very interesting, will keep your mind off your own problems for some of the time!

Alison

Hazel

Oh i work with people with learning disabilities, we work a lot with capacity and with best interests. I was asking advice tonight of the lovely Alison via Facebook tonight myself and i know what i would tell someone else but somehow in your own head it isn't quite the same!

alisonhelen

Flattery will get you everywhere Hazel! Lol!

Hazel

Lol if it gets me to a post before you at some point the number of times tonight that i have gone to post only to be told someone...you! got there before me smile It's good though the site is getting busy hopefully that is because people are getting the message, not because they have joined the club!!

louisah

Hi, in answer to Claire's question, a clear faecal occult blood test and blood test don't guarantee that you don't have bowel cancer, and that's why we recommend that if your symptoms persist you do need to keep going back to the GP, as Alison and Hazel have suggested.

Regards,
Louisa

Claire76

Many thanks Louisah.