Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Younger people with bowel cancer

caz81

33 years old with peritoneal mets

Hi,

I've been reading this forum on and off for over a year now, and have found it very helpful, but felt that it was time to join and introduce myself in the hope of some extra help, advice and support following my latest cancer curve ball.

I'm female, 33, and was diagnosed with stage 3 bowel cancer in August 2013 after being admitted for emergency surgery after my bowel became obstructed by my tumour. Prior to this, I was being investigated for IBS / coeliac disease following some mild symptoms, but the cancer diagnosis was a shock - I hadn't appreciated that it is possible to feel almost perfectly well and have advanced cancer. My bowel surgery was successful, and the only sign of further spread was to 3/23 surrounding lymph nodes which were removed during the op. I had 4 cycles of capox chemotherapy, then thought I was done with cancer - I went back to work (I chose not to work through chemo) and got on with life.

A few months ago my routine 1 year CT scan showed a new tumour in my liver. The follow-up PET scan showed another tumour in my spleen and some dodgy looking spots in my peritoneum. Three weeks ago a surgeon resected my liver, removed my spleen and removed the lining of my diaphragm. They went ahead even though they could see numerous cancerous deposits around my abdomen. I'm enormously grateful that they removed the tumours they could, but there's still lots more cancerous rubbish inside my abdomen to deal with. I've just found out that the next step is 3 cycles of chemo (capox + avastin) to see whether they can get the cancer under control. If they can, HIPEC at Basingstoke might become a possibility, but there are no guarantees.

Throughout all of this, I've been fortunate enough to barely feel ill, which makes it really hard to get my head around the fact that I have this disease. I'm recovering well from the latest operation and have fantastic support from family, friends and work. However, today I'm having a gloomy day, having heard that a cure is now a very remote possibility. It feels that my prognosis, which was initially ok, is getting more and more grim by the day. No doubt in a few days, once I've readjusted to the latest news, things will look brighter, but right now I'm very sick of hearing bad news.

On the bright side, I already feel a little better for having read some of the recent posts on this forum, and reminding myself that I'm not the only 30-something going through this.

Caz

tumbleweed

I am so sorry to read this @mil but am also glad to hear that Caz's last days were peaceful. Wishing you and your family all the best.
:x::x:

Mandy

So very sorry to hear of your loss.:x:

Clancy

So sorry Miller to hear of Caz passing, and I am very shocked. @mil, look after yourself and hank you for letting us know.:x::x:

DianeS

So sorry and feeling very sad @mil that your dear wife and our dear friend Can has passed away. At times like this there are no words that can express how we feel. Lots of love to you and your family :x::x::x::x::x:

Ally13

So sorry to read this @mil . Condolences to you and your family. RIP Caz. :x:

Lauren5429

Just sending you and your family love @mil , I’m so sorry :x::x::x:

CD1966

So terribly sad to re this news. @caz81 was such a brave lady.

fnkyf8

So saddened to hear this news. She was an amazing person and a great support to so many of us on here. Sending love and support to you and your family :x::x::x:

Michela

Dear Caz, may the heavens open to greet you, RIP
Sincere condolences to Miller and all the family.
Hugs and prayers :x::x::x:

Trinity

@mil so sorry to read the sad news of dear Caz, condolences to you & all the family

mil

Thank you so much everyone for your kind posts, well wishes and tributes to Caz. It's really heartening to see how well loved she was on your forum, and to know she was able to help other people here as well. It's been a long and hectic and sad week, but me, Caz and I's families and our friends have been focusing on the good times and fond memories.

Sparkles

@mil 💗

Alwyn

@mil I am so saddened by this news Caz often replied to my posts and was always so supportive. Love and hugs to all of you :x::x::x::x:

Sean

Thanks for letting us know @mil she was a lovely women. Rest well Caz.:x:

El Ivan

I’ve been away and just catching up and was really saddened to read about Caz. So very sorry @mil .
Rest in Peace Caz. ☹️ :x:

Jacey Connell 74

@mil So sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time :x::x:

Bridget55

Hi @mil. Just caught up with this. Thanks for sharing. Very sad news indeed. She was a fighter. Big hugs and strength :x:

Freckles50

@mil My deepest sympathy to you all at this very sad time. :x::x:

Sussex34

I am so terribly sorry to hear this. May she Rest in Peace. :x::x:

Sparrow

@mil, thank you for your beautiful words and for letting us know about Caz. I am so very sad and shocked. Caz will be sadly missed., she was just lovely. My deepest sympathy to you and your family. Sending you much love and hugs :x::x::x: