Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Younger people with bowel cancer

Chris82

Hello (...and updates from Chris82)

I just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm 32 (and male) and was diagnosed three and half weeks ago. The cancer has spread both to my liver (two places) and there are multiple deposits in the peritoneum. My oncologist has indicated an 'average' life expectancy of 2-3 years but has warned me that I could only have 6-9 months if I don't respond to treatment.

I'd been experiencing what I thought was IBS (mainly discomfort that has come and gone - it all still seems very mild) for about 7 months and had been to the doctor a few times. I was only recently referred for a colonoscopy after some blood tests showed the inflammation.

There isn't any surgical option at this point, unless it's necessary as an emergency due to blockage, which miraculously has not happened yet. I've so far had one cycle of FOLFOX and Avastin just over a week ago, with no major side effects so far. I barely have any symptoms at all right now in fact.

Obviously the whole thing has come as a massive shock. I only got married two months ago. My husband, family and friends are all being amazing and I think I'm coping well. But I also lack any connections with other people in a similar position, especially of my age - so I thought I would at least say hello (before I go to bed).

mem

Sending love to you too @Lauren5429 :x::x:

Dan-888
Quote from @Chris82:
I thought I would update this thread as I've just had a scan, and putting my news here means it's up to date for anyone reading through it.

Anyway, I had my regular CT (every three months) and got the results this morning. The disease in my lymph nodes remains stable on treatment and in fact my tumour markers have gone down very slightly.

I am continuing on my 'maintenance' chemotherapy, 5-FU and Avastin every two weeks.

As ever, a holiday is planned! Another Canary Islands trip, Tenerife in three weeks time.

I am working part time (2.5 days a week) and enjoying it, as well as keeping up with interests outside of work. I jogged a very slow 10k yesterday, just to prove I still can.

Chris

Wow! 10k Chris! !! That's utterly amazing!
On top of your great news!
I never could manage even 100 km never mind 10.000!
So nice to have meet you at a Marylebone high street meeting a year or so ago!
Dan
p/s tough using mobile screens sometimes! Sorry for the typos when 1st posted!

Dan-888
Quote from @Lauren5429:
Thanks @Baxter2 and @Lizalou - I’m still wandering around aimlessly and lost to be honest, don’t feel like I belong in this group anymore but it’s nice to read positive updates from everyone and just read comments from familiar people who understand this horrendous journey

I also don't feel I belong in this forum any longer Lauren. But you most definitely do. You are also giving support to others at the same time.
Big respect.

jinnyp

@Chris82 that’s great news, have a fab holiday ? :x::x::x:

@Lauren5429, sending you love, I think of you and your lovely Matthew often :x::x::x:

Sasa

Wow @GD1962 I hope you didn't run 10k in the high heels! Dress should be okay, but high heels ......

Sarah :x:

Gary not Gavin

Yes you do belong. I read your story so far felt like a dave lee travis moment all i needed was the theme music wow. life can be so cruel and shit some times but other times have greatness and loving moments. You keep strong, keep doing the 10k nacked at the thought and keep the love and keep being an amazing person.
Thank you for telling us your story to date.
Bravo xxx
What other word for story could i have used doesn't seem right word cannot think as another sleepless night.

ruthy

Brilliant news @Chris82, Im so pleased to hear your scan results were good :x::x:

Sean

Good stuff @Chris82 wondered how ya was getting on!

I want you too stick around @Lauren5429 !

Chris82

Thanks everyone!

How are you doing @Sean? Maybe see you at a Shine thing soon.

Sean

doing ok thanks @Chris82 . Had some good news Monday ;) Surgery next month

Chris82

@Sean That's great!

Chris82

Hello!

Scan time again. The results are in and I'm still stable on chemo.

The only thing to note is that my spleen is apparently a little enlarged, but this is a result of all the treatment rather than the cancer. Just something to keep an eye on apparently...

As I have been feeling the effects after each treatment a little bit more lately, we decided to reduce the dose slightly. I was and am still on a fairly significant dose.

I have decided to go ahead with running the Vitality London 10K at the end of May, for Beating Bowel Cancer. I feel fairly confident in being able to do it but know I will be slower (with more walking breaks) than I was when I did this run two years ago. But it's a really beautiful course through the centre of London and it's good to support the charity.

:x::x:

GD62

Hello @Chris82 Good to read that things are stable and best of luck with your run. :x:

Baxter2

Great news @Chris82 ! Good luck with the run!

K💙💜💛💚❤️

charleyb

Great results @Chris82, hope the dose reduction helps, and good luck with the run :x::x:

HH79

Brilliant news @Chris82! Well done!
I was struggling particularly feet so I’m taking 3 capes morning & night now instead of 4...so 1500 each time. I did the last 3 cycles on reduced dose so v relieved scan ok! Well done again and enjoy training! :x:

Lynette

Hi @Chris82 really pleased to read your positive update and hope you have a good run at the end of May. It feels so nice to be looking forward to some better days ahead after the long depressing winter we've just had. :x::x::x:

CD1966

Excellent set of results by the sound of things @Chris82

Sparrow

Hey @Chris82, lovely to read your update- well done!! Good luck for the 10k in May. Keep the stability stable!I hope your spleen recovers!
Love and hugs :x::x::x: