Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Jim3rg

Capecitabine and tired eyes

Hey Folks
Just a quick question.
Does any one get tired eyes?
Last few days I can hardly keep my eyes open. I am not feeling tired, however my eyes seem to be, no dryness just cant seem to keep my eyes open. All suggestions are very welcome. You all are making this trip a lot more tolerable, thank you very much.

Jim

Elmac

Same with me Jim @Jim3rg - my eyes are smarting today and I would love to be able to close them,but am in the middle of doing some much needed accounting on the computer!
Elaine

Jim3rg

Thanks for the reply @Elmac, by the way, the ginger worked for me, thank you.

Jim

lorraine grant

Can’t say I have tired eyes but they are constantly wet and like stingy as if I were really tired. Maybe it’s the same thing?

Elmac

Glad the ginger worked @Jim3rg - great for travel sickness as well
Elaine

Lizalou

Hi @Jim3rg @lorraine grant @Elmac

Try some basic eyedrops for dry eyes. Sometimes the tears just get too watery and run away down your cheeks leaving the eyes feeling dry,itchy and sore. They should be more viscous and stay on the eye.
I don't think the hot weather helps.

Best wishes :x::x::x:

terri m

Hi @Jim3rg . I woke up this mornibg with very watery tired eyes.. I could hardly open them. I have experienced this a few weeks ago. And did buy myself some eyedrops.. I am almost sure its the capecitibine. I had a 3 week break last month due to my feet, but have restarted it again. Its strange my eyes are playing up again now, so must be chemo.. I have 1 more cycle left after this.. Yey!!!! Hope you are feeling okay today?? How many cycles do you have left. :x::x::x::x:

Jim3rg

@terri m Congratulations on getting to that stage
Today I have little energy, just washing the dishes tired me out lol. My next cycle which starts Saturday will be my fourth of eight, so almost at the half way point.

Jim

Elmac

Hi @Jim3rg and @terri m - my eyes are smarting today even though I'm on my free week of cycle 2. Isn't it odd that different oncologists prescribe different regimes for Capecitabine - mine is giving me just 4 cycles whilst Jim you are getting 8 and I think we had virtually same operation etc.

terri m
Quote from @Elmac:
Hi @Jim3rg and @terri m - my eyes are smarting today even though I'm on my free week of cycle 2. Isn't it odd that different oncologists prescribe different regimes for Capecitabine - mine is giving me just 4 cycles whilst Jim you are getting 8 and I think we had virtually same operation etc.

Hi @Elmac . it is quite odd that different oncologists vary with chemo regime.. If yiu are high risk like myself which is 4 lymphnodes positive & EMVI, im8 cycles shoukd be the protocol providing our tolerance of course. However on this forum there are i have noticed others with no pisituve lymph nodes still having 8 cycles.. All abit confusing to me🤔.. Has long has we are all coontent with our treatment plans, thats the main thibg.. Good luck in your treatment :x::x::x::x:

Jim3rg

@Elmac @terri m Whilst my tumor was T3N0M0, they did find cancer cells in the tissue surrounding the tumor, also the only managed to harvest 5 lymph nodes, so I think its cause they are being extra cautious. I have complete trust in my oncology team. I have a surgeon follow up appointment tomorrow and i may have sn issue that needs addressing, its probably nothing but I better to err on the side of caution.
My chemo bloods are due Thursday with a visit to the oncologist straight after. Friday is a chemo unit visit and the collection of my meds for cycle 4.

take care folks

Jim

Elmac

Hi @Jim3rg & @terri m - mine was classed as a T4 because it had penetrated the bowel wall into the peritenium but only 1 lymph node out of 27 with cancer cells, Oncologist has said recent results show 4 cycles of Capecitabine are apparently just as good as 8. Hope he is right!
Elaine :x::x:

lorraine grant

I’m confused now. Easy done actually. When I saw the chemo nurse yesterday for bloods she said I was T3 N2 and VO or V0. She was not sure what the V stood for and there was no note of the M, but I know I have two little liver mets. I think I am T3 N2 M1 but have no idea what the V stands for? As for eyes, omg mine are driving me potty.

Jim3rg

I was taken off Capecitabine yesterday due to hearing loss in my left ear, went to GP who checked for wax etc, in the end he phoned the ENT dept who advised him to prescribe Prednisolone and gave me an appointment for Tuesday 24th. Don't know what will happen to my chemo schedule though. Will let you know what happens on Tuesday.

Take care.
Jim