Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

rigbycf

Waiting for surgery.

Hi everyone. I hope you are all enjoying the lovely weather. I had my latest staging CT/MRI a couple of weeks ago. Very good response to the Chemoradiation. My Consultant is very pleased, I’m waiting to have my APR operation on the 16th of this month. It will leave me with a permanent Stoma. I will be in hospital for a few days afterwards. I will update my progress then when I’m bored!!! Until then keep your spirits up.

GentleWhisper

Good news about your Chemoradiotherapy response. Good luck with your surgery 😊 Sending lots of positive thoughts your way! :x:

kitti

Hi @rigbycf Dont get too hung up on being home a few days post surgery, i was told 5 days and yet was discharged 21 days later. It made me feel really low as felt i was letting everyone down, there obviously is every chance you will only be in a few days but id honestly just take one day at a time, my children were heartbroken as they expected me home as staying in longer hadnt been part of the plan. I was really nervous prior to surgery but i neednt of been, the last thing you know is being put to sleep, and next thing your awake in recovery and its all done! Recovering has been harder than i expected but im quite a impatient person so having to rest ive found quite hard. My life was busy busy prior to diagnosis, but now i have to try and go easy on myself rest when i need to, and make sure i eat regularly. I went to my childrens sports day then summer fayre on thursday, by 8pm i was well and truly ready for my bed. Im nearly 6 weeks post op now so things are slowly getting back to normal but the tiredness remains, ive been told thats normal for me at this point in time. Good luck with your surgery and remember to take peppermint tea to hospital with you, it really does help with the trapped wind you get after surgery, i also took a hand held fan which was fab!. Will be thinking of you and look forward to reading your updates. Hugs :x::x::x:

rigbycf

Hi kitti. I’m so glad that you are beginning to feel better. I’ve just done an online shopping order. Prppermint tea is on the list. Think a fan is a must in this heat. It’s really so heartening to have this forum and the support of you all. Take care. I will update again soon. :x::x::x:

Salgal

Hi @rigbycf that’s great news you had a really good response to the chemradiation now for the next stage. I am almost 7 weeks post op with permanent stoma (colostomy) I was in hospital 8 days as they won’t let you home until you are confident in changing your bag and you have output from it, so don’t be disheartened if you are in a little longer than you expected. My best tip I can give you is to take an eye mask, it was a god send, helps you sleep in the day bit most important at night, the wards are so busy and sometimes our lights never went off until the early hours. Good luck you will be fine big hugs :x::x::x:

Baxter2

Great to hear of your very positive response so far @rigbycf! Well done!

Now for the next bit! As @kitti says, a good positive and open mind is probably the way to go and take things a day at a time. Not long to wait now!

Sending all my very best wishes to you!

K💚💛💜💙❤️

rigbycf

Thankyou for your kind words and great advice. It’s much appreciated
:x::x: