Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Life beyond bowel cancer

Rach

Hello

I don’t comment on the forum much any more and I must admit to keeping away for a while as I try to move on with my life and get to know the new me.

I faced the real possibility almost 2 years ago after being told I was inoperable, of not seeing my boys grow into the men they are destined to become. I had written my will and planned my funeral. The songs I wanted played and the words I wanted read. I talked to my husband about senior schools for our youngest son, my thoughts for our eldest and how to remember that it was their lives to live and to chose how to live them.

Now as I sit here watching my youngest and his friend laugh and joke in the garden I’m reminded hugely of that time and how my life and the life of those around me has changed.

Last week I had a colonoscopy. The first since they found a friendly 26cm sigmoid tumour. The anaesthetist was so kind and held and stroked my hand throughout. Putting me at ease and making me laugh.

The results from my colonoscopy - all clear.
This week I had a pet/ct and the results - all clear.

After being given the news in February 2016 that I was inoperable i sought a second opinion and I have now been NED for 18 months.

My oncologist scans me every 12 weeks to keep a very close eye on me. I find it a comfort but also rather stressful.

I hope you are all enjoying this lovely weather (my menopause and 29 degrees don’t seem to mix well!) and send you all much love :x::x::x:

Rach

@Elmac I’ve never heard of wild yam but looking online it seems to have had great reviews and results. I might give it a try :x::x:

Elmac

@Rach - make sure that you buy one that has a hight % of the wild yam in it - I did try one from Holland & Barrett but not nearly as effective as that from other suppliers as had low |%. Initially my sister in Australia would buy it there and send it to me - but postage became a bit expensive. All I can say, it worked for me and seems to have done so for some of my friends.

Karen17

@Rach What a lovely heart-warming update ... thank you :x:

1234annie

Amazing news @Rach. 18 months is a huge huge milestone and so pleased for you and you are an inspirstion to us all. :x: :x: :x:

Freckles50

Another wonderful and moving post @Rach, thank you so much for sharing. I have a friend with skin cancer that doesn’t want to share with her friends and definitely not a forum. But I read posts like this and feel utterly grateful to have found you all. Keep up the good work :x::x::x:

mem

It's great to hear from you @Rach, with such a fantastic update too!
You've come such a long way, lovely lady and I am so happy for you and you're lovely family 😘 :x::x::x:

Wren17

Good @Rach, many of us in similar situation hope we too get to where you are :x::x:

determinedjoan

V well done 👍 you Rach ! Thanks 4 sharing your good news - most inspiring :x:

GD62

Marvellous news :)

DianeS

Hi @Rach this is fantastic news and I’m so happy for you and your boys. Hope you have found a way of celebrating? I’m just 3 months ahead of you and my scan is on Wednesday. Colonoscopy was clear so I’m praying the scan will be too. Lots of love D :x::x::x::x:

lynn collier

So pleased for you Rachael :x::x:

Ally13

Wonderful news @Rach
:x::x::x::x::x:

El Ivan

Great news @Rach 😃 :x::x:

Gypsy

Fantastic news @Rach

Lizalou

Thanks so much for your lovely update @Rach. And I totally relate to your change in attitude to life. In many ways I am much happier with my post-cancer life although it is not the ideal way to be forced into having a lifestyle rethink! :x::x:

CD1966

Such great news @Rach - congratulations!