Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

General Discussion

lorraine grant

Tumour tattoo

Just a brief question but I might be too late to ask.
Has anyone had a flexible sigmoidoscopy at Aberdeen to have their (rectal) tumour tattood? My info leaflet with the appt said that if I have sedation then nothing to eat from midnight but to continue with medications. So I take my chemo tabs after breakfast and have to take them within 30 mins of food. I want sedation as somewhat worried about the procedure but have to take my tabs too. Just wondered what might happen tomorrow.
Thanks

Karen17

I haven't had a flexible sigmoidoscopy but did have tumour tattooed (sigmoid colon) during colonoscopy with sedation in Aberdeen. I thought that the no food rule was so you have an empty bowel not for the sedation, but I could be wrong.
If you have an early morning appointment could you perhaps delay your morning dose till after the procedure?
Sorry I can't be of more help. Hopefully others on here will have been through similar and will reply soon.

lorraine grant

That’s kind for that. Been and done and all went swimmingly well. Got to see the tumour and that tattooing. He wrote tumour with stigmata which I believe is a bleeding tumour which I knew. I also think the prognosis is less favourable with this kind of thing but I’m still not going to let the bugger get to me! It’s just not happening......ggggrrrr

Karen17

At least that's it done and they can move on with whatever's next. Out of interest, what did you decide about tablets with food in the morning?

Tinkletot

@lorraine grant i am just finished all my treatment at aberdeen ..i found them to be first class ...radiotherapy staff were fab....it is scarey at first when your told u hav ur tumour but they will look after you very well....i was diagnosed last sept had my chemo and radio for 5 weeks nov/dec ...surgery end of march and everything is gone. good luck :x::x:

lorraine grant

Cheers for that @Tinkletot . I was due to get 5 week chemo radio therapy but after doing a PET/CT scan they noticed 2 tiny wee bits in my liver, so plan changed to chemo first for 3 cycles (xelox). I have a ct scan on the 16th July to see if the damn things have shrunk..I’m in for a radiotherapy planning scan in August. Anyway, the tattoo thing went well today and I finally got to see the cause of all the problems. My tumour is a “he” and I reckon I can take him nae bother!! Lol glad you have had a good result. Long may this continue for you :x::x:

Tinkletot

best wishes keep us updated :x::x: