Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

General Discussion

LWJ81

MRI - Update Results Clear

Hi everyone,

I had an Anterior Resection on the 18th April and results came back as stage 1 T2N0M0. No chemo.
I had my follow up last Monday and after a confusing appointment with the surgeon (which a phone call from my colorectal nurse cleared up) I'm feeling better about the appointment.
Because of my age (37) they said that they are going to keep a close eye on me. I'm having an MRI scan on the 2nd July. I'm feeling really nervous, not about having the scan but getting the results. I don't have an appointment for results, do I get a phone call? What normally happens? I don't know if I'm being rational about how scared I am. I feel like I should be happy after the results I had but find everything going round in a loop in my head and then I start feeling guilty. I have counselling starting on the 6th July. :x::x::x::x:

LWJ81

Forgot to say it's a pelvic MRI :x::x:

Hollyhock

Hi @LWJ81, scanxiety is an awful thing, I feel your pain!
I didn't have an appointment for my scan results last time either. I was told that if I hadn't heard anything in about 2 weeks to call the colorectal nurses and they would chase it up. I called up after 2 weeks (it took about 3 hours to pluck up the courage!) and they gave me the results over the phone. Do you have the number of the colorectal nurse who called you this week?

LWJ81

Thanks @Hollyhock, yes I do have her number. I didn't realise quite how scared I was going to be with follow ups.
Scanxiety is such a good description!
Is 2 weeks about average waiting time? :x::x::x::x:

Hollyhock

Hi @LWJ81, yes, from my own experience I would say 2 weeks is pretty average. Please don't feel worried about calling the colorectal nurses to check though as that is exactly what they are there for. Good luck and let us know how you get on :x::x::x::x:

1234annie

Yes very normal to worry, remember you are stage 1. They are keeping a close eye as your are young which is a good thing. Your cancer was caught so early, it's not spead so it's highly unlikely to find anything. Plus they are only doing pelvis, us stage 3 & 4 get lungs and liver scanned too from neck down. I had my scan and of may and the follow up was something like July!! There was obvs no way I could wait that long and got resukts end of the 2nd week. I'm pretty sure if they saw something to worry about youd know straight away. :x: :x:

LWJ81

Thanks @1234annie, the logical part of me knows this but the anxiety just takes over doesn't it? I'm grateful that they are keeping a close eye on me. I think going back to the hospital and having these tests takes you back to the scary time of diagnosis. Im hopeful that the counselling will help with these feelings. Hope you're doing ok :x::x::x::x:

1234annie
Quote from @LWJ81:
Thanks @1234annie, the logical part of me knows this but the anxiety just takes over doesn't it? I'm grateful that they are keeping a close eye on me. I think going back to the hospital and having these tests takes you back to the scary time of diagnosis. Im hopeful that the counselling will help with these feelings. Hope you're doing ok

Yes it does!! You still had cancer and you can't change that fact!! But like me you 'had' it and we are very lucky we are not to be on on going treatment. Obvs your chances of recurrence are teeny tiny and mine quite a bit more in my face but we are here today living and breathing. Nothing can change your feelings so I've learnt thought talking therapy, but we can change how we react to them. Certain behaviours feed the anxiety and it's these we need to learn to switch off. It all takes time hun, it's early days. Scans and blood test magnify the anxiety as well, you have to let it wash over you, accept it happened and this is your 'new life'. :x: :x: :x: :x: :x:

LWJ81

You're so right. You have such a good attitude. I think accepting it all is what I need to do. Sometimes I think I have, but I don't think I have - not fully.
Thank you so much for your messages :x::x::x::x:

1234annie
Quote from @LWJ81:
You're so right. You have such a good attitude. I think accepting it all is what I need to do. Sometimes I think I have, but I don't think I have - not fully.
Thank you so much for your messages

I wish I spoke to myself as I would a friend. We tend to be much harsher on ourselves and ours rules are much stricter than for others. My therapist always says "would you speak to your friend like that". Last time I saw her she told me it was me who was holding onto all the pain and not letting go and she was right. I felt like she was blaming me for my own pain but I am the only one blaming me. ❤❤❤

LWJ81

It's true @1234annie . Some of the things going on in my head I know are ridiculous thoughts, and I would tell a friend that they are not true and not to think that way. We are hard on ourselves for sure. :x::x::x::x:

willow1265
Quote from @1234annie:
Yes very normal to worry, remember you are stage 1. They are keeping a close eye as your are young which is a good thing. Your cancer was caught so early, it's not spead so it's highly unlikely to find anything. Plus they are only doing pelvis, us stage 3 & 4 get lungs and liver scanned too from neck down. I had my scan and of may and the follow up was something like July!! There was obvs no way I could wait that long and got resukts end of the 2nd week. I'm pretty sure if they saw something to worry about youd know straight away.

@1234annie - I was stage 1, had surgery in April, not due to have another MRI scan, but have a CT scan of chest, abdomen and pelvis in September,, a 6 month wait, im already dreading it!

LWJ81

Hi!

@willow1265, Also stage 1 had my anterior resection in April.
I think I will also have CT scan Chest, Abdomen and Pelvis and a colonoscopy at 12 months. The MDT decided on the pelvic MRI as part of surveillance due to my age (37). The Consultant rang last night to say MRI was clear and the colorectal nurse called today with the same news. I think they know that I'm extra anxious. Relief for the time being. I was assessed for counselling today and the counsellor decided on an anxiety management course. Have to wait a couple of months, so he recommend an app to use in the meantime. :x::x::x: