Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service ā€“ 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Life with bowel cancer

terri m

Holiday booked šŸ–ļø what about Insurance?

Hi all my knowledgeable friends.
Hubbie & I booked our holiday today to majorca the 25th september. I am still having chemotherapy at the moment. (cape pills only) Due to finish treatment in early august...
We didn't book insurance, has I wanted your advice.šŸ˜‰.. Do I wait until after chemotherapy finishes to get our holiday insurance, or should I get it asap.?? Also any ideas on reasonable insurance companies??. All your advice would be grateful.. Soo excited about this trip.šŸ¤—šŸ–ļø
:x::x::x::x:

Polly68

@terri m I saw Martin Lewis on TV talking about holiday insurance, his advice was to take out insurance when you booked the holiday, then if anything happened between booking and going you were covered. :x::x::x:

Mrs2017

Hi , we used Insurewith for my husband for our upcoming cruise, I booked it when he was on chemo a few months ago as @Polly68 says if we had to cancel for any reasons then we would be covered for the cancellation. Chris :x:

KatieR

Yes I watched the Martin Lewis (? ? Called the Money Program). too All I know is that you must tell the absolute truth and make sure your insurance includes ā€˜ repatriation ā€˜ It can cost a fortune to be flown home in a private jet with all the medical equipment etc
And never rely on a EHIC or whatever an E111 is called nowadays
Cath :x::x:

steve707

Hi @terri m if you put travel insurance in the search box you will see there is more information for you. hope this helps have a great holiday

Bridget55

Hi @terri m. Agree with Steves suggestion above. I used allclear insurance who were very good. They paid out in full on a holiday i was due to go on but wasnt quite up to it. :x:

Baxter2

Hi @terri m

I've just been shopping for insurance and like the others mentioned, I took it out 2 days before we booked our holiday to Majorca as that way, I'd be covered if for some reason, I had to cancel. (I also saw a wee bit on Martin Lewis advice and discussion on tv.) It took me hours with some companies just refusing to insure me. Insurancewith were stalling and referring me to their medical underwriters. Still not heard back! I used them previously for a cruise and was very reasonable at Ā£78 or so for us both. I think I must have mentioned something that concerned them šŸ˜±

This time I've gone with MIA 'clear 2 go' for Ā£143 for us both for a weeks holiday. I know of some people who travel without cancer cover but I'd never be happy to take that chance especially outside Europe. I'm covered for repatriation if required.

Good luck!

KšŸ’›šŸ’œšŸ’™šŸ’šā¤ļø

Elmac

Hi @terri m and all - if you or your husband have ever been a civil servant of any sort - police, teacher etc (my husband worked for Business Link which was a quango but was still accepted) and your are retired then you can join CSPA - Civil Servant's Pension Association and take out their travel insurance which is run by AXA PPP -and covers you world wide - there are no medical histories required - you just have to be mentally fit to travel! If you join before you are 80 you can take the travel insurance each year for life. it costs us Ā£325 pa but it lets us travel to USA without any problems and it is worth that alone. Before we took it out a few years ago, and were going to Australia for more than 30 days, it cost my husband Ā£650 because he has a heart condition and me Ā£35 because at that stage I wasn't in this club of ours.!

Because we are going to Australia in November I renewed my Australian passport and with it came a little booklet on travel, in which it said "it you can't afford insurance, you can't afford to travel"

Lee1974

Have used Eurotunnel for insurance, declared all conditions etc and they gave 12 month cover within europe for me & wife for Ā£79.00