Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Life with bowel cancer

tigercub

Occupational health

Hi everyone . tomorrow I am going to get a call from occupational health my employer have asked them to contact me . anyone have any experience of this or any tips .

Baxter2

Hi @tigercub

I involved occ health at an early stage and the doc I saw was just nothing short of amazing! She handled my case so sensitively and also helped me through the process of early Ill health retirement. She still emails from time to time to ask how I'm doing. I think it helped as she had recovered from breast cancer herself but wasn't stage 4 like me. She was in tears at my story on two occasions. I had to pass the tissue to her! A true gem of a lady.

Hope all goes well,

K💛💜💙💚❤️

tigercub

Hi Baxter 2 that's encouraging to know I like most people have never had any dealings with them as this is taking place on phone shouldn't be too bad

mountainwoman

Hi @tigercub,
I have had two meetings with the OH and both have been very supportive. They are supposed to be there to support you and give advice to your employer. e.g. I work in schools so the OH advised my boss I couldn't work whilst on chemotherapy because of the high risk of infection from children. He has also been helpful suggesting a sensible phased return to work schedule for me.
The advice I was given was to make sure you tell the OH exactly how it is. i.e. if you are too ill to work or need to work in a different way then say so, don't make out everything is fine. Have a list of things you need to tell them before they call.
All the best

tigercub

Hi mountainwOman
Thanks for advice sounds encouraging .I have no desire to work while on chemo as I work in supermarket and dealing with public is risk of infection.they put money in there mouth then give it to us or sneeze and cough all over us .

tigercub
Quote from @Baxter2:
Hi @tigercub

I involved occ health at an early stage and the doc I saw was just nothing short of amazing! She handled my case so sensitively and also helped me through the process of early Ill health retirement. She still emails from time to time to ask how I'm doing. I think it helped as she had recovered from breast cancer herself but wasn't stage 4 like me. She was in tears at my story on two occasions. I had to pass the tissue to her! A true gem of a lady.

Hope all goes well,

K💛💜💙💚❤️

Hi Baxter 2
I just read your story wow you certainly have been through heck of a lot well done to you .I saw Mr Rees at Basingstoke 3 weeks ago a very nice man but he told me I'm still inoperable but if window of opportunity arises he will operate.but I don't think it will happen

Baxter2

Hi @tigercub

Please don't lose hope as if he thinks he can help you he certainly will! He really is my hero! I know it was him who took my case to the peritoneal team at Basingstoke as he said the liver wasn't my main issue, it was the peritoneal disease. Many months down the line they decided to operate and in doing so, prolonged my life! I was invited to attend a celebration of 30 years of liver surgery down there on 6th July but had to decline because my second grandbaby is due that day. @Chris82, are you going?

Hope things work out for you too! Please don't lose hope........I'm sure you'll make that surgery one of these days when that window of opportunity presents itself!

Lots of love,

Karen 💛💜💙💚❤️

tigercub

Hi Baxter2
Thanks for your kind words .how lovely a celebration of 30 years .I have watched a video of Mr Rees on YouTube recieving a honorary doctorate and he talks about when he first started liver Resections and older surgeons said it couldn't be done thank goodness he took no notice.no I don't give up hope .he said surgery is too dangerous can't be done but as we know things are always changing when we least expect it

Baxter2

You're absolutely right @tigercub! Just keep your eye on the ball!

He is a pretty special man indeed! I hope he can help you too one day!

Lots of love,

K💛💜💙💚❤️

tigercub

Thankyou .

Chris82

@Baxter2 I didn’t know about that, but perhaps as I wasn’t actually operated on by Mr Rees but by one of his team and the peritoneal team.

Baxter2

@Chris,

I think also you had both liver resection and CRS and HIPEC all in one surgery maybe? I had mine separately so that's maybe why. :x::x:

Clancy

@tigercub, occy health were really good with me, very sympathetic and on the ball. They always look for reasonable adjustments if you want to return to work. I have since retired and felt it was the right move for me. Best of luck.:x::x:

tigercub

Hi Clancy
Thanks for advice .I feel I would like to return work for short while on part time basis so to earn bit money and also I will know I'm better or getting better if I can work.I don't feel I can give them realistic return date at moment .I would consider taking early retirement on medical grounds but don't suppose they pay me to go

Baxter2

Hi @tigercub,

If you feel you may want to pursue early retirement on health grounds you will hopefully gain the full support of your oncologist, GP and occupational health doctor. It will depend on your health status and prognosis. It was very easy for me as I was given less than a year to live at the beginning of 2016 so I got my full pension as if I'd worked until 60. I'm very happy to say, I LOVE retirement and keep very well on the whole (apart from the usual annoying chemo side effects!) I get out and about as I please and look after my little 20 month grandson some days too. I have another two grand babies on the way so loads to look forward to!

Good luck in your decision!

Love from K💛💜💙💚❤️

tigercub

Hi Baxter2
Thanks for advice .I've been in touch in touch with my works pension provider and they have given me some info .great that you 2 babies to look forward to .I am keeping fairly busy. But I've also become very slow at everything where as when I was working I was rushing around everywhere trying get things done now I'm like a snail.