Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

General Discussion

Scardycat

Yes I saw that too. But I’ve been told no scans after 3 years! Going to contact my onc.

Gg k

I think I'm lucky. Where I am it's scans at 1 ,2 and 5 years . Colonoscopy every year up to and including year 5 . Then colonoscopy every 3 years unless a nasty is found of course. . Tho I think the fact that I've had 37 polyps removed post op may play a part with the continued colonoscopies after 5 years.

tisme
Quote from @Gg k:
I think I'm lucky. Where I am it's scans at 1 ,2 and 5 years . Colonoscopy every year up to and including year 5 . Then colonoscopy every 3 years unless a nasty is found of course. . Tho I think the fact that I've had 37 polyps removed post op may play a part with the continued colonoscopies after 5 years.

You must be under a different health trust. There is a yearly scan for me then not another one or a colonoscopy for 5 years which I did say is ridiculous. Cea tests every 3 month up to the year point then every 6 month.

crispy

I think I must be lucky too. I had 6 monthly scans for 2 years and now have yearly scans for another 3 years all being well. That’s 5 years in all. Colonoscopy at 18 months then further one at 5 years it seems as though Trusts must vary. I don’t have CEA tests . My surgeon says he feels they are often misleading.

SariDaffs

Thank you @belinda66, this is interesting! I had a surgery follow up appointment with the consultant on Friday and think he said CT scans 6 monthly for 2 years and annual colonoscopy till 5 years - but I am going to re-check that with the nurses as my brain is a bit foggy still and it may have been different. It does seem that there is a postcode element to this as to other aspects of treatment!