Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

General Discussion

GD62

Appointment Cock Ups!

OMG went to community nurses clinic at 8am this morning to get picc line dressed and flushed, made the appointment three days ago before I go on holiday. No bloody clinic, unbelievable, caretaker said go to walk in clinic, told him they don't do that procedure there. Had my NHS security pass and saw a district nurse who said she would be me booked in at lunch time. Honestly, I am so bloody annoyed as going on holiday tomorrow and have to put dogs in kennels , just can't believe the crap we have to put up with is having a terminal illness and working full time was not bad enough. Only got later appointment because I know the system, it's shxt sometimes.

Rant over :x:

Bridget55

Hi @GD62. You are allowed to rant. Glad it’s now sorted after pushing. Focus your energy on having a fabulous time in Venice. If you get chance spoil yourself for a drink at the Gritti palace. Xxxxx enjoy enjoy xxx look forward to photos

WendySue

Sorry you have had all the hassle @GD62 and hope it is all sorted now. Have a fantastic holiday.
:x::x:

terri m

Hi @GD62.. How frustrating for you on the weekend of your holiday.. Hope this is sorted for you today. Have a fabulous time in Venice.. Safe journey.🍹✈️:x::x::x:

tigercub

Hi GD62 hope you got it sorted and enjoy your holiday :x:

Polly68

@GD62 oh dear, not again ( didn't you have something similar a short while ago?). At least you have managed to get things sorted and can hopefully relax and enjoy your holiday :x::x::x::x:

GD62

Well everyone @Bridget55 @Polly68 @tigerclub @terri m @WendySue . Went to DN clinic and the nurse was lovely and unfortunately she could not flush the line, so she phoned the hospital who said phone the oncology help line.

Anyway told my partner who is a nurse that they could not flush the picc line and said could he have a go at it. That said, he did manage to flush it, so good to have a nurse at home as it seems to come in useful, so oncology helpline did respond and were happy that the line had been flushed so avoided a lengthy visit to A&E.

I am happy as I did not lose my rag with anyone but had a little rant on line which vented my spleen, no point taking it out on folk who are trying to help. I am sure my life is like an episode of Victor Meldrew on 'one foot in the grave', whom funnily enough I met some years ago at a Labour Party fund raiser in Manchester.

I can't believe it... love all xx

penjay1902

Glad it is all sorted @GD62 . Have a great holiday.:x:

tigercub

GD62 glad you got it sorted .when I'm settled back in to my new chemo regime I would like start doing small breaks UK obviously in between treatments.im going ask chemo unit if it's possible to have line flushed at a unit near to where we decide stay .just an idea

Lizalou

Hi @GD62 @tigercub It sounds so simple!

We went away for a week mid chemo (mother in law's funeral to make things worse ) I made lots of phone calls, found a GP practice near where we were staying who promised they could flush my line. Waited my turn....no, not something they could do . Mad panic, lots more phone calls, finally sorted in the nearest hospital.

Everyone was so lovely and helpful.....But why is NHS life so complicated??

Enjoy your holiday GD :x::x:

tigercub
Quote from @Lizalou:
Hi @GD62 @tigercub It sounds so simple!

We went away for a week mid chemo (mother in law's funeral to make things worse ) I made lots of phone calls, found a GP practice near where we were staying who promised they could flush my line. Waited my turn....no, not something they could do . Mad panic, lots more phone calls, finally sorted in the nearest hospital.

Everyone was so lovely and helpful.....But why is NHS life so complicated??

Enjoy your holiday GD

Hi Lizalou
Oh my goodness that sounds far too complicated I try keep things as simple as possible as my poor little brain gets overload and very confused which dosnt take Lot now .will do few days in between when I feel up to it

Catlover

Have a great time @GD62 Venice is fabulous- although busy! Hope you get a break, @tigercub and everyone else on here. You all deserve it :x::x::x:

tigercub

Hi Catlover thanks for kind words .some days you just feel had enough crap deal with .but got my 2 grandaughter s staying tonight so that always cheers me and takes my mind off things bit .wish there was magic potion take your mind off things there all time .but I guess we're all in same sort boat :x:

Catlover

Enjoy the granddaughters- there’s nothing like youngsters to distract you and keep you on your toes :x::x::x::x:

tigercub

Yes they do .one is in bed quietly age 6 and 12 year old I've left downstairs bit longer as they sharing same bed like nice quiet bedtimes .scares me sometimes when my brain gos silly and worry may not see them grow up but then sure we all had these horrible thought s that shouldn't even enter our heads :x: