Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Trunky

Operation tomorrow UPDATE

Just an update:
Following my op I spent a day and a half in ITU/critical care from the 29th of May and then the rest on ECU.
Made quite a quick initial recovery but the last 2 days were pretty challenging.
Ward was very hot, noisy and the food was bad almost inedible.
I really needed to go home for my sanity but a mixture of a high temperature and elevated blood results meant I stayed in an extra 2 days, however in the end I would have self discharged no matter what as I felt the environment was impacting so greatly on my health.
I was discharged on the 3rd of June.
I'm at home feeling stronger each day.
From my perspective the liver resection was a little bit tougher on me than the bowel resection but once again the pain management was faultless.
Overall Completely "doable". I'm very grateful for everything the staff have done for me. I'm alive!
The staff on ITU particularly were amazing.
Such dedication and focus over their 12 hour shifts left me in awe and very proud of our NHS.
They are certainly cut from some special cloth.
My tips following this experience:
1. Get someone to bring you something nutritious and fresh to eat each day; twice if at all feasible.
2. Group your visitors as much as possible; multiple visits can really take it out of you.
3. Be kind to yourself and get the balance right, post operation, of your rest and activity.
4. Use the resources you have to help you such as family and friends, don't be too proud to ask for help.
5. Have some pencilled in plans in the not too distant future which give you something to look forward to but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't run to plan.
6. Your emotions post op may go between the poles of happiness and being very teary. This, in my opinion is very normal. You've been through a lot.
Best wishes
Steve :x::x:

Well it's the eve of my liver resection.
It all has that surreal feel and I know that it won't sink in until I'm gowned up tomorrow.
I got quite emotional the last time I was gowned up and waiting to go.
I didn't and don't feel that scared I think that it's at that stage the reality hits you. This is what you've got and this is what is happening.
I've just said cheerio to my little boy who doesn't know anything at the moment; my youngest daughter has come back from university to be with me; my eldest daughter is in Cambodia travelling and we are video calling most days. It's the hardest thing in some respects seeing how this affects your family who are spectators in this journey.
I had great care last time and had no pain. I hope that experience repeats itself this week and I hope I get clear margins too!
See you on the other side of the operation and I hope you've had a good bank holiday weekend :x::x:

Kareno62

Hope everything goes well @Trunky :x:

Lizalou

Thinking of you today @Trunky :x::x:

Jon-T

Hi @Trunky, I whish you well, the people doing the job does know how to do it.
Jon.

Trunky

Thank everyone for your best wishes.
So far it's all gone well. No pain at all so far.
First class nursing care, makes me feel very proud of our NHS.
Just hoping now that they tell me they got clear margins.
Currently in critical care; it's quite sobering being in here and seeing what other folk are going through.
Best wishes :x::x:

mem

Great to hear your op is now done and dusted and has gone well @Trunky . Take it easy and smooth recovery wishes your way. Lots of love :x::x:

Polly 1

Great to hear that all is OK - take it easy :x::x:

Jane39

@Trunky . Speedy recovery :x:

Bear G

So glad it’s all gone well @Trunky
I know critical care / HDU isn’t the most restful place but it’s great to hear they’re taking such good care of you
Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

KarenE

Good to hear your op went well @Trunky. Best wishes for a speedy recovery :x::x:

eyeofthetiger

@Trunky Brilliant news that the surgery finally went ahead and it went well and even better that you aren't in pain. I am sure you will be at home very soon. Take it easy :x::x::x:

Jim3rg

@Trunky Excellent new that your op went well, you will be out of icu and onto the ward in no time. Good luck and hope you have a quick recovery.

Jim

kim74

Hi @Trinity Good to hear all went well, time to recover now hopefully it won't be to long and once you get home to your own bed you will feel better. Take care.
Kim :x::x:

GD62

Hello @Trunky glad to hear operation went well, hope you have a swift recovery...

Hugs and positive healing :x:

Zara

Wishing you all the very best :x::x:

Trunky

Just an update:
Following my op I spent a day and a half in ITU/critical care from the 29th of May and then the rest on ECU.
Made quite a quick initial recovery but the last 2 days were pretty challenging.
Ward was very hot, noisy and the food was bad almost inedible.
I really needed to go home for my sanity but a mixture of a high temperature and elevated blood results meant I stayed in an extra 2 days, however in the end I would have self discharged no matter what as I felt the environment was impacting so greatly on my health.
I was discharged on the 3rd of June.
I'm at home feeling stronger each day.
From my perspective the liver resection was a little bit tougher on me than the bowel resection but once again the pain management was faultless.
Overall Completely "doable". I'm very grateful for everything the staff have done for me. I'm alive!
The staff on ITU particularly were amazing.
Such dedication and focus over their 12 hour shifts left me in awe and very proud of our NHS.
They are certainly cut from some special cloth.

My tips following this experience:
1. Get someone to bring you something nutritious and fresh to eat each day; twice if at all feasible.
2. Group your visitors as much as possible; multiple visits can really take it out of you.
3. Be kind to yourself and get the balance right, post operation, of your rest and activity.
4. Use the resources you have to help you such as family and friends, don't be too proud to ask for help.
5. Have some pencilled in plans in the not too distant future which give you something to look forward to but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't run to plan.
6. Your emotions post op may go between the poles of happiness and being very teary. This, in my opinion is very normal. You've been through a lot.
Best wishes
Steve :x::x:

terri m

Hi @Trunky. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Glad to hear you are now back in the comforts of your own home now... Take things easy, and plan nice days out when your better :x::x::x::x:

KatieR

Thank You @Trunky for the Update I apologise for not seeing it till now
Im pleased you are home and on the mend John really enjoyed his food in hospital which must be a reflection on my cooking !
I have more problems getting him to drink more He likes coffee and coke which I am not happy about
I make him drinks and find them abandoned all ove the house !
Anyway you keep on getting better and keep in touch too
Cath :x::x:

Gypsy

Dear @Trunky,
You had a time of it, that's for sure but so glad that you are home now recovering and that all the cancer is gone!
:x::x:

penjay1902

Hi @Trunky. Glad to hear you are home and making a good recovery. :x::x:

Jim3rg

@Trunky Good that you're home, I found recovery was quicker at home, that first night in your own bed is bliss.

Good luck and take care.

Jim