Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Ask the Nurse

Posts in this section can only be replied to by the nurses. If you wish other users to respond to your question you will need to post it in another topic on the forum as well.

dondonsinspain

Pain

forgot to say The signs are positive as far as the cancer is concerned, now I just need to get my head sorted out... it’s just that every pain, twinge, bump, lump becomes magnified in your head and totally scary....For the last few days I’ve been having breast pain, and I had it three weeks ago to before the operation.... they sent me for an ultrasound (more for peace of mind I think) and all was clear, but when it came back on Monday I’ve gone into panic mode.

So I went to see the doctor yesterday who examined me and said all was fine with the boobies, but she said that the pain is coming from my rib underneath the right one breast... anyway mammogram done yesterday .... it was due next week anyway.... and she’s told me to take anti-inflammatory tablet for the pain..of course I know it’s all ok... and will still get aches and pains despite the cancer! It’s just so hard to control the worry...

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @dondonsinspain,

It is still very early days and it is quite natural to feel anxious with any ache, pain or twinge. The vast majority of these have absolutely nothing to do with the cancer but as you have done report them to your doctor who can request the appropriate test to check everything is OK and reassure you.

With kindest regards,

Charlotte

dondonsinspain

Thank you .. being a born worrier doesn’t help me! Anyway yesterday I had the appointment with the oncologist who was Lovely, he was very very thorough... we were in there for ages ... anyway he concurred with the surgeon (and my lil sister!) no chemo needed. But he wants me to have some more tumour marker blood tests done and another CAT scan to make sure (I think it’s because it’s another hospital and another doctor - they all need their own tests done). He said he doesn’t think there will be anything bad on them but we do need to get them done. Then i have another appointment with him in three weeks time on the 19 June to discuss those results... then if all ok the next appointment will be in three months time. I think I’ve been very lucky and apart from the pain in my right breast I feel better.

dondonsinspain

So I’d been have been having some pain in the right breast (ultrasound and mammography are fine), I have spoken with the doctor who thinks it is a contraction in my back that is causing reflex pain ... everything happens at the same time ! Anyway, I'm sure it’ll be fine just taking anti-inflammatory painkillers and tablets. Had the blood tests today and CAT is next Wednesday,,,, full MOT ! Thank you for your continued help and support it’s very much appreciated 😘

dondonsinspain

Hello- yes your right I’m sure it’s normal to be anxious, I’m just worried that they’ve missed something. The pain is still there - it radiates around the breast and into my shoulder, worse as the day goes on... I’m taking anti/inflammatory tablets and paracetamol but it’s still not getting any better. What should I do?

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @dondonsinspain,

Have you been back to your doctor about this? I think it extremely unlikely to be related to your bowel cancer however it could be related to the surgery. Some people do suffer with musculoskeletal problems after being positioned on the operating table for their surgery.

The CT scan will pick up anything important but often the cause of these sorts of pains is difficult to pin down.

I think if the CT shows no abnormality then it may be worth seeing either a physio or perhaps an osteopath or chiropractor?

Kindest regards,

Charlotte

dondonsinspain

Hi Charlotte, yes I spoke to my gynaecologist on Thursday who examined my breasts and said that she thinks it’s a muscular thing, and I went back to see my gp on Friday who was very understanding about my fears. So she advised me to see the Phyiso who was also so kind to me, anyway she did some gentle massage and manipulation for about an hour and said that the whole of my shoulder is in a contraction and the pain is being reflected into my breast from the nerves... they have given me traumel cream and tablets and a stronger pain killer... I think it’s a combination of a muscle issue and stress , both of which are causing me pain, which in turn creates more stress. It’s a vicious circle isn’t it...

The tumour marker blood tests have come back the C19.9 marker is showing at 7.59- the last one I had done on the 6 April was slightly lower at 5.43.. I see that the levels range from 0-37 so it seems very low is that right? The other one was CEA - last one was 0.5, this time it’s 0.58 which looks ok? I don’t want to google it... too much scary stuff!

The CAT scan is on Wednesday morning, which I’m understandably nervous about... and confused too because they’ve told me I have to do two self administered eanemas the day before."? Also follow a low residue diet for two days.... there seems to be some confusion about this too... can I eat fruit or not? I understand that I can’t eat vegetables or salads but some other things seem to be a bit ambiguous...

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Hi @dondonsinspain,

OK it does sound as if the pain is muscular and yes I am sure a combination of that and stress will certainly increase the pain. As well as the medication they have suggested it may well be worth exploring some relaxation exercises / classes i.e. Yoga as this could really help with both the physical and psychological stresses.

Your tumour markers (CA19-9 and CEA) are all well within normal limits which is very reassuring.

You will have had your CT by now so hopefully the preparation all went well.

Best wishes,

Charlotte

dondonsinspain

Thank you so much for answering me, yes the CR Sian was last Wednesday results due tomorrow. I’m a worry-puss I know

dondonsinspain

Hi, just to that the CT scan results were all normal.. thank goodness. It’s all so accessible here in Spain.. we can check blood results online, and they gave me the scan results, now I have to take them to the oncologist appointment next Tuesday to let him valuate them... there was one very scary moment , I collected the results from the radiology department on Monday morning and took then to my GP to read for me, I was too scared to read them myself, apart from the fact it’s sll in Spanish. Anyway she opened them and said, ok, well it appears that you have a nodule/tumour of 23 mm and two lymph nodes that are swollen.... my blood ran cold and I felt sick... then she said oh no sorry, that’s a copy of the previous scan that was done before the operation... apparently they put them in the same envelope to compare them! So we all had a shaky scary sort of giggle... but really not funny!

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Hi,

So glad to hear that all was well with the scan (despite the unfortunate mishap at the GPs)!
Hope things are beginning to settle with the pain.

Kindest regards,

Charlotte

dondonsinspain

Hi .. I took my results to the oncologist last week and he said come back in 4 months.. good news apart from the pain which has been a little better... he didn’t seem unduly worried about it.. but my doctor decided that I should get an MRI scan on the breast and back .. I think she’s trying to give me peace of mind... so of course now I’m just worrying about more tests and results again.. my mind just won’t settle...

dondonsinspain

I’ve had ultrasound, mammogram and a CT scan isn’t that enough? And blood tests too all ok... the problem is that if I don’t have them done I’ll worry about what if!!! Oh I am in a pickle