Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Stage 4 bowel cancer

Bear G

Five years as Stage 4

HIGH FIVE!

Today I’m smashing the five year mark since I was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer!

I’m so grateful to my friends, family, medical team and of course Pippa for getting me to this major milestone. I certainly couldn't have done it without this amazing forum either.

I hope through Strive for Five and Beating Bowel Cancer / Bowel Cancer UK I can help others facing this disease. I aim to give hope to people diagnosed with advanced bowel cancer that you can still lead full and happy lives. Just take a look at the Strive website under 'Steve's story' to see some of the things I've done since diagnosis - this isn't a brag list, hopefully it'll be uplifting to see: www.striveforfive.org

I know I’ve got a ‘limited shelf-life’ but I’m definitely enjoying life and looking forward to many more anniversaries!

Big hugs
Bear
xx

Bear G
Quote from @Regalo:
@Bear G. Wonderful news for you. You have been here for so many of us....a beacon of sense and positivity in what is a very scary and sometimes lonely journey. We cannot thank you enough for all your love and support .....you must give over hours to this. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Much love.

That's so kind @Regalo, thank you so much!
I think this is the only place where people think I talk sense :)
:x::x:

Bear G
Quote from @Salgal:
Hey @Bear G, I am just starting to catch up with everyone as had my op last Thursday, which turned out to be a very difficult op and recovery has taken a while but I just read this and lifted my heart, just wonderful post to read, your support on here is just amazing, onwards and forwards big hugs

Thank you @Salgal, hope you're feeling better now and are home after the op

Bear G
Quote from @bogongbelle:
A bit late with the congrats @Bear G, but they are wholehearted nonetheless. I was in the depths of depression when I first stumbled upon this site, having just been "elevated" to Stage 4, with significant lung mets. I quickly came to realise, mostly due to your good self, that my life wasn't over and to just get on with things. Nowadays, I really only remember my diagnosis/prognosis when someone else mentions it - it's just part of life. Am very jealous of your safari plans, also one of my bucket list items, but only achievable if I have a lottery win or a decent return on the horses! Thank you again for all you do for the members of this group.

Hi @bogongbelle, I remember your first posts and am so glad I've been able to be of help together with everyone else on here. The forum is such a great place for all of us.
It really boosts me to hear how you're handling it all now.
Big hugs

Bear G
Quote from @Applejack:
Congratulations @Bear G ! Echoing the thanks of everyone else for all that you do on the forum. You've been a great support on my cancer journey and a fantastic positive inspiration.

Thank you @ applejack, so glad I can be of any help

Bear G
Quote from @Sarah-support and information:
@Bear G
Well done and what fantastic news! You are such an inspiration to all those that use the forum. Thank you for your support and all you do for the charity!
Best wishes
Sarah

Thank you @Sarah-support and information , really glad to be of help on here and proud to be associated with the charity

Bear G
Quote from @Sele2017:
@Bear G , you are amazing , well done. You have been very helpful to me and everyone in this forum. Thank you from r your support and well done.
Best wishes .

So glad to be able to help you @Sele2017 :x::x:

Wren17

Congrats @Bear G , an inspiration as ever and hoping to join you on this milestone in 4 years time :x::x::x:

Jo

@ Bear G
As a newbie to this cancer malarky - this has helped me enormously - and I haven't even clicked on your link yet! I only found out on Friday and it has taken 4 days for the absolute panic to subside. So when I woke up this morning feeling more in control and looked on this forum and read your post it lifted me. Thanks

Sparrow

@Bear G, biggest congratulations, Steve! You and Pippa are looking absolutely wonderful!! You definitely earned that SUPERMAN t-shirt! Yay!!! I'm so happy.. now to the next five years.... :x::x::x:

Bear G
Quote from @Wren17:
Congrats @Bear G , an inspiration as ever and hoping to join you on this milestone in 4 years time

Hoping to be here cheering you on @Wren17 !

Bear G
Quote from @Jo:
@ Bear G
As a newbie to this cancer malarky - this has helped me enormously - and I haven't even clicked on your link yet! I only found out on Friday and it has taken 4 days for the absolute panic to subside. So when I woke up this morning feeling more in control and looked on this forum and read your post it lifted me. Thanks

Hi @Jo
So glad to be able to help, you’ve given me a lift too, thank you.
How’re you doing now?

Bear G
Quote from @Sparrow:
@Bear G, biggest congratulations, Steve! You and Pippa are looking absolutely wonderful!! You definitely earned that SUPERMAN t-shirt! Yay!!! I'm so happy.. now to the next five years....

Ha ha. Thank you @Sparrow , I couldn’t resist the shirt 😃
Isn’t Pippa fab?

Highkaren

@Bear G ...I will hang on to your coat tails and inspirational journey and hope I can do the same.....here’s to life :x::x:

Jo

Hi @ Bear G
Got the bad news on thursday that I have managed to come in at the full on stage 4 (T4, N2, M1) with secondary tumours on both lobes of my liver. But they are talking treatment - chemo to shrink followed by surgery. So that knocked me flat for a bit but back up and smiling now. I am just trying to get the hang on using this forum. It is great!

Quote from @Bear G:
Hi @Jo
So glad to be able to help, you’ve given me a lift too, thank you.
How’re you doing now?

tigercub

Hi Jo sorry to hear your diagnosis it is lot get your head round .I'm also advanced bowel cancer secondary being a single metastatic tumour in liver I am starting chemo again on Monday to try shrink it again .I us this forum a lot for advice .good luck

Bear G
Quote from @Highkaren:
@Bear G ...I will hang on to your coat tails and inspirational journey and hope I can do the same.....here’s to life

It’s all about being positive and enjoying life @Highkaren !

Bear G
Quote from @Jo:
Hi @ Bear G
Got the bad news on thursday that I have managed to come in at the full on stage 4 (T4, N2, M1) with secondary tumours on both lobes of my liver. But they are talking treatment - chemo to shrink followed by surgery. So that knocked me flat for a bit but back up and smiling now. I am just trying to get the hang on using this forum. It is great!

Hi @Jo
I think all of us with stage 4 can relate to how you’re feeling. You can see our stories by clicking on our names on the forum. You’ll see I had fast growing mets in my liver and both lungs, yet here I am 5 years later.
It’s possible!
Treatment has advanced a lot in the five years I’ve been here so get ready for your chemo - it’s your friend and ally.
And we’re all here with you!

Jo

Thank you @Bear G :x::x::x:

Jo

Thank you @tigercub. I am very glad this forum is here

Quote from @tigercub:
Hi Jo sorry to hear your diagnosis it is lot get your head round .I'm also advanced bowel cancer secondary being a single metastatic tumour in liver I am starting chemo again on Monday to try shrink it again .I us this forum a lot for advice .good luck

1234annie

You look amazing ❤