Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Jim3rg

Capecitabine trip so far

Hello all you good people, I am now on day 5 of the Capecitabine trail, nothing to report on the side effects. I had some diarrhea last weekend but this started before my first dose, so probably due to something I ate. A quick call to the helpline to. make sure it was ok to take imodium followed by one dose, took care of it.

I have had aching feet the last couple of. nights and I have made a note of it in the diary, however this could just be due to me being in my feet most of the day.

I know its early days, but just thought I would report in.

Take care folks

Jim

Lynne0426

Hi @Jim3rg

I was on the capecitabine (can you pronounce it yet or spell it without looking it up? I can't!!) tablets for a couple of months. I had no ill effects on my first dose. Gradually the diarrhea got worse and my worst mistake was not getting in touch with the chemo unit soon enough. I didn't want "to make a fuss". Silly me. I ended up in hospital. My dose was reduced to 80% eventually which was then tolerable. I was eventually moved onto the 5fu infusion (the liquid form of the tablet) when my chemo got changed.

I never suffered achy feet whilst on that chemo. I'm glad it's all ok for you...I know of many people have not had any ill effects from it. Just remember if you do feel poorly don't be a brave soldier but ring the chemo unit as you've done.

Hope all goes ok for you.

Lynne

Jim3rg

@Lynne0426 I can spell it fine, pronouncing it is another matter 😊 I know its early days so I will just have to wait and see how it goes. I was warned by my Chemo nurse not to put off calling them and I wiil do as I am told cause she was quite scary, in fact while she was talking to me I kept thinking of @AlanH aggressive recovery nurse.

Thanks for replying Lynne and sharing your experience, hope everything is going well for you.

Jim

Wren17

Hi@Jim3rg, glad to read you appear to be tolerating chemo well so far and may it continue

AlanH

Hi @Jim3rg, me and my aggressive recovery nurse on your mind, I’ll see if she’ll pop up and see you 😂 I saw her today funnily enough this morning when I saw my consultant about the jaundice (which has gladly gone for the moment). Almost a week done and no real side effects not too shabby, I guess it’s suck it and see! I see my oncologist for the first time on 22nd 😩 Alan

Baxter2

Sounds like a pretty good initial progress report @Jim3rg!

Keep up the good work!

Lots of love,

K💛💙💜💚❤️

Baxter2

Not sure why ive changed from moderator to staff btw! 😂😂

KatieR

John has three days of radiotherapy plus Capecitabine tablets and he is ok I’m assuming the side effects will increase as the weeks go on So I have booked us into the MCN Fectival of Motorcycling this weekend. ! Woooooooo

Jim3rg

I have sore dry eyes tonight, I am wondering if this could be a side effect or if its something else?

Jim

charly

Hi there @Jim3rg. I’ve just finished 6 months of capecitabine and it did affect my eyes, nose and mouth making everything feel dry - the oncologist confirmed that this was a side effect - it tends To dry up all the mucus membranes. It should all resolve once you are finished the treatment - I’m 4 weeks on and already notice a difference. All the best, Charlotte

Jim3rg

@charly Thanks for the reply, its i my diary and I have a meeting with my Oncologist on 24th, if it gets worse I will see about getting some drops or something, otherwise I will let my oncologist know when I see him.

Jim

Jim3rg

Just a quick update so far, Friday will see the end of the first cycle of Capecitabine, the first week was fairly uneventful, this week however is a little different. I am finding it more difficulty to face swallowing the tablets, more psychological I think, if I am like this now, how am I going to get through the next 7 cycles. I am getting a lot of headaches, not my usual migraines, but rather dull ache in the background kind of way.. difficult to explain properly, acid and queasy stomach is an ongoing problem and last but probably not least, I had sore dry eyes and dry throat for a couple of days.

I have an appointment to see my oncologist on Thursday see what he says. The above symptoms are quite mild and probably down to me being a wuss lol.

Anyway folks, good luck to you all and take care.

Jim

Stillme

Hi @Jim3rg I am on cycle 4 now and stuggle with the tablets, the same as you I think it is psychological, I've found that instead of trying to take two at a time I just take one at a time and a bite of food inbetween each. I also have the headaches, last time was pretty bad and nothing seemed to help. With regard to the tablets and the next 7 cycles, the week you have off of them does really help as you can go into the next lot with more determination at least for a few days :x::x:

Jim3rg

@Stillme Its my own fault really, I have them a pill organiser, i empty each dose into a small plastic cup and take them all at once, might try 2 helpings instead of one serving and see how that goes.

tace care

Jim

Bear G

Hi @Jim3rg

I’ve been on capcitabine for almost 5 years now. It helps me to think of all the good the tablets are doing me, therefore taking them isn’t a chore, rather it’s me doing something positive to help.

Do make sure you’re drinking lots of fluids, I found my headaches were mainly due to dehydration, when I’m feeling one come on I take a dioralyte and that seems to help.

Do you take the tablets after food? That could be what’s causing the grassiness / queasiness. I do get excess stomach acid on treatment so have been prescribed lansoprazole which has helped.

Definitely write all these effects down and chat through them with your doc.

Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

Jim3rg

@Bear G Thanks for the reply I will try to drink more water and see how that goes, about 15 minutes after eating I take them. The acid is pretty bad at times, all I have in the house at the moment is good old bicarb mixed with water, it works for a while but then comes back. I see the oncologist at 3pm on Thursday so I will see if he can help.

Take care.

Jim

AlanH

I have suffered with reflux pre and post operation, not so much now but will ask for some omeprazole or lansoprazole when I see my oncologist next in readiness for my chemo. The Gaviscon liquid sachets worked great for me too Jim 👍🏻

Jim3rg

@AlanH Thanks for that, I am in town tomorrow for my annual diabetic test, so I will pick up some gaviscon. I am also going to asm my oncologist for something too.

Jim

chris61

@Jim3rg . I had lansoprazole too but get your GP to prescribe you a liquid indigestion remedy too (the one I had was similar to Gaviscon but a cheaper equivalent) for the acid. Had a choice of peppermint or aniseed. Hate aniseed 😠! Chose the former but only aniseed available in every pharmacy I tried, due to peppermint production problems at thevtime apparently! BTW, have you claimed for free prescriptions?

Jim3rg

@chris61 I am at my GP surgery tomorrow for my annual Diabetic review so I will see if they can squeeze me in to see the GP. I do get free prescription as I gave up work a couple of years ago to care for an elderly parent so there isnt a huge amount of income. I dont mind aniseed, reminds me of dinnertimes at school and the small sweet shop across the road, a quarter of aniseed balls, was a regular purchase.

Take care.

Jim

KatieR

Hello fellow travelers John is mid way through the second week of his Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy ( Capecitabine )... no complaints other than fatigue
We have had a telephone appt with the chemo nurse on monday and are going for a review tomorrow after his treatment and hope to get some blood results from last Friday
No problems with the bag etc
I just wish it was over and he could have his Operation and be cured as I wish for you all
Cath :x::x: