Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Jim3rg

Capecitabine trip so far

Hello all you good people, I am now on day 5 of the Capecitabine trail, nothing to report on the side effects. I had some diarrhea last weekend but this started before my first dose, so probably due to something I ate. A quick call to the helpline to. make sure it was ok to take imodium followed by one dose, took care of it.

I have had aching feet the last couple of. nights and I have made a note of it in the diary, however this could just be due to me being in my feet most of the day.

I know its early days, but just thought I would report in.

Take care folks

Jim

Stillme

I've had cycle six last Monday and my feet are much worse this time, like many others I'm scared of having the treatment cut back but also now realise the risks of long term neuropathy (but still not so bad as the alternative....) they stopped my tablets for one week last time but I really don't want a gap I the chemo as I just want to see an end in sight :x::x:

Elmac

Hi @Jim3rg and @Stillme - my feet are now turning red and the soles feel as though they are sunburnt - even my slippers feel very rough and the soft carpet feels prickly. The Moo cream that my sister-in-law sent me from Australia seems to relieve them the best. Only 3 more days of this cycle and then a week off so hope they improve as i am shuffling around like a really old lady and have had to curtain my daily walks, although it is a bit too hot to be out at the moment. I spent a very lazy quiet day yesterday reading the papers and snoozing with ice packs on the couch!
Elaine

Jim3rg

@Stillme @Elmac Sorry to hear of your suffering like this, hopefully they will be able find something that will ease your symptoms.

I find that this week for me, is a queasy stomach, I have tried everything I can think of but nothing seams to help. I am already on Metoclopramide twice per day, I am unsure if i can take an extra one during the day.

Take care of yourselves and keep in touch.
Jim

Elmac

Just been to our chiropractor, and he suggested instead of ice packs, which can be too cold, to soak feet in a dish of cold water. Just done that for half an hour and it has helped a lot as it cools the whole foot and not just the soles.

Sorry to hear about your queasy stomach @Jim3rg - have you tried ginger ale, ginger beer, ginger biscuits, stem ginger even chocolate ginger all known to help - ginger is great for sea sickness too.
Elaine

Jim3rg

Thanks @Elmac, havent got any ginger in at the moment. I will grab some later

Cheers
Jim

Jim3rg

OK, went to see my surgeon today as a follow-up, I have had a worry about a rectal protrusion which Dr Google said it could be a prolapse, after an examination, he said it was a hemorrhoid. He said we should wait till the chemo is done before we address it and that it might resolve itself.
Quite a relief that it's not what dr google said it was... When will I learn not to consult Dr Google.

Anyway everything is fine and 3 months for the next appointment.

Take care folks
Jim

Elmac

Good news Jim - needless worry for you!
I start my 3rd cycle tomorrow - hands, feet and eye problems gone down a little this rest week, so hope they don't flare up again in the coming two weeks.
Elaine

Jim3rg

Good Luck Elaine hope you get a break from the hand and feet problem. I don't know if it's me, but i seem to have different side effect thats. dominant each cycle.

Jim

Elmac

Thanks for the good wishes Jim. The chemo nurse was a bit worried about the red skin rash on my arms and chest and asked a Dr to look at them this afternoon - he has prescribed hydrocortisone cream to be applied after factor 50 has been rubbed in and before applying the Pliazon cream - so will be well creamed up morning and night! Need to keep hydrated, out of the sun and lots of moisturiser during the day. Off to Scotland on Monday and meeting up next Thursday with @Baxter2 and @Highkaren at Loch Leven's Larder for lunch. Looking forward to it.
Elaine

Jim3rg

@Elmac its funny you should say that about the rash, I have what looks like tiny blisters on the back of my hands and up my arms, will show my oncologist tomorrow when I see him.

Have fun in Scotland

Jim

Baxter2

And I can't wait to meet you next Thursday @Elmac!

Lots of love,

K💚💛💜💙❤️

Baxter2

I'm all set for our meet up on Thursday at Loch Leven Larder @Elmac! @Highkaren, are you still coming too?

:x::x::x::x::x:

Elmac

We have now arrived in Edinburgh and looking forward to meeting you both @Baxter2 & @Highkaren on Thursday - table booked for 12.00 noon under the name MacGregor

Baxter2

Excellent! Can't wait to See you both tomorrow @Elmac and @Highkaren

K💜💚💙❤️💛

Highkaren

@Elmac ...I can still do tomorrow if you want to meet up :x:

Jim3rg

Started cycle 4 last Saturday, I woke that morning with partial hearing loss in left ear, thoight it was wax so used olive oil drops which didnt work. I went to the GP this moring and he confirmed there was no wax in the ear. After talking to the ENT casualty ar Newcastle Freeman Hospital, he prescribed Prednisolone along with an appointment for ENT casualty dept on Tuesday.
As a precaution I called the helpline and they said to stop the Capecitabine until I see the ENT guy on Tuesday. Will this alter my chemo shedule at all?

Jim

Elmac

Hi @Highkaren - thanks for thinking of this, but now my husband wants to spend more time with our grand-daughter, and there would be problems with getting me back to Edinburgh in time to meet our Australian friends if he goes off with Abi for the afternoon, so can we leave it until I come up to Scotland again in October - I will be house, horse and dog sitting between the 5th and 23rd Oct.Our problem is we are only here this time for a few days to meet up with old friends from Australia who are arriving late tomorrow afternoon and we go back home on Monday.

Really disappointed that we have had to cancel was so looking forward to meeting you and @Baxter2, but will definitely have more time in October and there will only be me to organise (rather than husband and family) Thought it was all working out nicely but understand Karen's chemo can't be changed. Oh well, that's one of the problems of this C-journey of ours, plans made have to be changed all the time.

Elaine

Baxter2

I'm so disappointed too @Elmac! I hadn't realised how much it's mucked up my social diary! Obviously meeting you was the highlight but I was also supposed to be starting a fitness class with a friend tomorrow afternoon. As my pump is being disconnected sat afternoon, it's scuppered our plans to have lunch with 2 other couples on Sat too!! Grrrrr! I'm hoping lunch can be changed to tea on sat so that's omething I suppose! I just hope it all happens tomorrow! Very frustrating!!!

Hope you have a nice time for the remainder of your stay and I'm looking forward to meeting in October!!!

Lots of love,

Karen 💜💚💛💙❤️

Highkaren

No worries @Baxter2 @Elmac , if we go for October, before the 9th would be good for me as hoping to go to South Africa for 2 weeks from the 10th :x: