Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Stage 4 bowel cancer

Wren17

Taking a leap of faith Updated 6th June 18

Hello all, thank you for your kind words and support since i started my journey last April 2017. I have been deemed both incurable and inoperable. I have been on a gruelling 2-weekly chemo cycle for 9 months which has left me hospitalised on many occasions.
However, despite several rejections for hipec including from the Christies I have now been offered surgery with the potential of hipec. Basically im being opened up to see if hipec is possible and if so they will perform it there and then and if not they will close me up again. However, i have been advised that i could potentially end up with a worse prognosis after surgery than before. However, im hoping that the surgery will give a positive outcome with hipec and give me a few years instead of months. As a single parent i need to be around for as long as possible for my children and really hope this surgery will give me this.
Ill have surgery at the end of next week and hope my gamble and leap of faith leave me with a better prognosis after surgery than the one i have been afforded before surgery.
I am scared but trying to be brave and above all hoping that all works out . I would welcome any encouragement and positivity. Thank you

UPDATE: Operation has been bought forward to this Thursday 17th May. Very much in shock as was hoping to spend some more quality time with my children. Instead start the dreaded prep tomorrow and Admission 7am Thursday - mind gone blank which i dont know is a good or bad thing . What is worse is that i have also found out that both my children under age for the wards and ICU's visiting rules so dont know how ill or they will cope as its just been me and my children for last 7 years. Didnt think anything could feel worse than op but hopefully facetime might be the answer reception pending
:x::x::x:
Update 6th June
Just to let you all know that I am home now and on slow path of recovery. Really struggling with keeping anything down.
Will not know outcome until 6 weeks so got everything crossed .
I would like to thank @HH79 for updating you all whilst i was in hospital and most importantly can i say i am truly amazed and most humbled by all your messages of support. Your are such a wonderful forum of people and i cannot express my gratitude enough for all your kind words and encouragement. Thank you all :x::x::x:

Wren17

Hi @Baxter2 , I am home now thanks. Wound physically healing well but just trying manage the sickness and fatigue but glad to be home :x::x::x:

Wren17

Thank you @KatieR and @Smu2 for your kind words :x::x::x:

HH79

Well done @Wren17! Keep going, one day at a time. Is maintenance an option long term?? Here I am having cuddle on beach protecting those Capecitabine hands!! Lots of love and rest up xx

WendySue

Great news @Wren17 and best wishes for your recovery.

What a lovely photo @HH79!
:x::x:

GD62

Hello @Wren17 glad you’re home speedy reco ey 👍😁

penjay1902

Hi @Wren17 . Glad to hear you are home. Wishing you well. :x:

george1960

Hope your recovery is amazing and quick and you get to do everything with your children. :x::x:

margaret ensor

Hope you are doing well with your recovery. Fingers crossed for the futur. Thinking of you. Margaret

Bridget55

Go gently with the recovery @Wren17. Hope you will start to keep things down. Big hugs. Well done. Bridget. Think positive thoughts for a good outcome in 6 weeks :x::x::x::x:

KatieR

Hello @Wren17 My Mum was a nurse and she always advised people who had problems keeping food down to try eating tiny spoonfuls of ginger jam or the jars of chopped ginger in syrup
It sounds ridiculous I know but it works especially for pregnancy nausea and vomiting
Cath :x::x:

Jane39

Hi @Wren17 . Good to hear that you are home . Hope the nausea settles . Best wishes for your ongoing recovery :x::x:

mem

Lovely to hear from you @Wren17, I hope your recovery is going smoothly for you. Sending love :x::x:

Wren17

Hi@HH79, gorgeous picture. Dont know what happens in regards to treatment until get those results :x::x:

gemmabaggies

Great to hear from you @Wren17. I hope you are recovering well.

Wren17

Thank you @gemmabaggies. Hope all is well your end :x::x::x:

Wren17

Thanks @KatieR, ill check out my nearest Aldi :x::x::x:

GD62

Oh @KatieR and @Wren17 using my ginger and honey herbal tea does help settle my tummy during chemotherapy :x::x::x:

Wren17

Glad its helped you @GD62 thanks for tip @KatieR