Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

New to the forum?

lealea

Symptoms

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and haven't been diagnosed just having some odd Symptoms! I wanted to hear from others and their experiences.

I'm 33 and I had my little girl 20 months ago and since then I've been plagued with symptoms. During my pregnancy i suffered really badly with heart burn piles and fissures all common in pregnancy i know but once having my baby the fissures and heart burn continued with occasional upper stomach ache amd lower bacl ache (ive had the lower back ache on and off fpr a good few years). I visited my gp who treated my fissures and heart burn and I had a full blood count all came back fine except folate was slightly low but not classed as anemia.
In the past few months I've had a couple of bouts of diahhrea and stomach cramps and a little bit of weight loss and the heart burn has come back which I went back to my gp about once again he treated the heartburn and I had more blood tests all came back normal and he's given me a one month course of omaprazol to see if it helps with upper stomach pain and heartburn. I guess I'm just worrying that it could be something else....... I'm back again at the doctors next week to review how the medication is going and my weight. I'm 33, non smoker, non drinker I'm a little bit overweight and slightly inactive since starting the family as I have less time to gym etc but I know cancer doesn't discriminate and it can strike at any age.
Thanks for listening

:x:

1234annie

Hiya,
If your worried id ask for further investigation like a colonoscopy. Have they checked anemia (marker), inflamation and
Liver function?
Classic symptoms are blood in poo or when you wipe, abdo pain and weight loss. Some people have all they symptoms some have none. Gps are crap in my opinion, your never ever too young. I was 36 with stage 3. Annie :x:

Baxter2

Hi @lealea and a very warm welcome to the forum.

It's really difficult to offer an opinion on your symptoms to date based on what you're describing. Is sounds like your GP has been quite helpful too in treating your symptoms and sorting out some blood tests. I'll tag @Charlotte Nurse Advisor who may be able to advise you. I do know that some other young mums have had their bowel cancer symptoms put down to pregnancy related issues and this has caused significant delays to diagnosis and treatment. Also, I was diagnosed as stage 3 initially and had absolutely no symptoms up until a few weeks before my diagnosis. There seems to be no hard and fast rules.

I hope your next GP consultatoon goes well. Will you let us know how it goes?

Sending love and very best wishes,

K💙💜💛💚❤️

lealea

Thanks both all really helpful stuff, @1234annie I'm not 100% sure what the blood test checked for i just know it was a full blood count and the only thing it flagged was a slightly low folate level which was investigated further and it wasn't classed as anemia ( ive suffered with folate defficiency for a about 10 years) I will ask when i see my gp next week if they did the tests you mentioned. Thats so scary that you had no symptoms until a week or so before diagnosed!! It sounds a bit disgusting but I've started to be vigilant and check my poo no blood in it so far but I have noticed tiny amounts of clear/Brown mucas may be something or nothing. When it had the fissures I got bright read blood when I mentioned to my gp that he didn't seem worried and said bright red was common with them ( starting to worry it wasn't now)
@Baxter2 thanks for your comment yes I worry now it's been passed off as pregnancy related and it could be something else!

DMR700

Hi @lealea I also started experiencing symptoms whilst pregnant (constipation, bleeding) which didn’t clear up after I had my baby and later progressed to bouts of severe cramps. I was diagnosed within 6 months of having my baby but already stage 4! So whilst you will probably be absolutely fine I would definitely get a colonoscopy to be on the safe side and put your mind at ease.

My liver is riddled with cancer yet my LFT continue to be normal! So blood tests aren’t definitive.

Most people with these kind of symptoms don’t have cancer but for those of us that do, time is of the essence so don’t be put off pursuing your tests. Good luck I hope everything turns out well for you! :x::x:

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Thanks for the tag @Baxter2

Dear @lealea,

You have received some helpful advice from others and I would only reiterate that I think to be on the safe side you should discuss having a colonoscopy with your GP.

Whilst in the majority of cases these symptoms do not represent anything sinister, as others have said, it is sensible to get them checked out.

With kindest regards,

Charlotte

1234annie
Quote from @lealea:
Thanks both all really helpful stuff, @1234annie I'm not 100% sure what the blood test checked for i just know it was a full blood count and the only thing it flagged was a slightly low folate level which was investigated further and it wasn't classed as anemia ( ive suffered with folate defficiency for a about 10 years) I will ask when i see my gp next week if they did the tests you mentioned. Thats so scary that you had no symptoms until a week or so before diagnosed!! It sounds a bit disgusting but I've started to be vigilant and check my poo no blood in it so far but I have noticed tiny amounts of clear/Brown mucas may be something or nothing. When it had the fissures I got bright read blood when I mentioned to my gp that he didn't seem worried and said bright red was common with them ( starting to worry it wasn't now)
@Baxter2 thanks for your comment yes I worry now it's been passed off as pregnancy related and it could be something else!

If my gp had done a blood test they would have seen I was severly anemic which is a big red flag so that's good news your not. It does not matter if the blood is bright or dark. Mine was always bright!!! Get that and the mucas checked as that is a sign. :x: