Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Ask the Nurse

Posts in this section can only be replied to by the nurses. If you wish other users to respond to your question you will need to post it in another topic on the forum as well.

CMB2018

Terrified I have colon cancer

I am 32 years old. Almost 2 years ago I began having constant diarrhea. I believed it was due to excessive drinking (it was summer and we spent a lot of days drinking on a boat.) I also started developing a lot of trapped gas. I had pain in my stomach and back. I then started having blood in the toilet. I’ve had blood in the toilet off and on for almost 2 years. I had a colonoscopy with biopsies a few weeks after the bleeding began. Clear colonoscopy, biopsies normal. I’ve had an upper scope with biopsies also clear. I’ve had 2 stomach and pelvic CT’s both clear. I also did a fecal test which was normal. My blood work is normal except elevated Neutrophils 7.2 *normal high is 4.8. WBC is normal. Not anemic. My iron was 1 point lower than normal. I suffer from anxiety and am terrified it’s colon cancer. Can anyone please help?

mem

Hi and a warm welcome @CMB2018
Thankyou for your post. Our nurse Charlotte is out of the office at the moment and will respond to your questions on her return next week.
Best wishes. Marie :x::x:

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @CMB2018,

Thank you for your post and I understand your anxiety about your symptoms.

The advice we give here for anyone with symptoms is to see their GP who can refer them for appropriate investigations. It appears from your history that you have had all the necessary investigations to rule out bowel cancer as a cause for your symptoms.

It also appears from the history you give that all this happened 2 years ago, is this correct?

If you are still experiencing symptoms I would advise you to see your GP again but try to be reassured by the fact that all of the tests your had done came back as normal.

With kind regards,

Charlotte

CMB2018

It started 2 years ago and is still happening. I went 5 months with no bleeding but then it started again and has been on and off for the last few months. What are the chances of cancer? I had my colonoscopy in August of 16. Could he have missed something? Or is colon cancer usually bigger by the time it is causing obvious blood? I had a Ct with contrast 6 months ago which showed no blocakage, swollen nodes, or anything. Is that a good sign? I have an appointment with a new Gastro in June and am trying not to freak out until then. I’ve been back to my old Gastro who preformed the colonoscopy and he stated “I do not have colon cancer.” However he can’t explain why I bleed.

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @CMB2018 ,

Thanks for the update. Having a clear colonoscopy in 2016 and a clear CT 6 months ago is very reassuring so try not to worry too much, although of course seeing blood is concerning.

You mention that you have seen gastroenterologists have you seen a colorectal surgeon? Often bleeding is related to haemorrhoids (piles) but you need to have a specific examination (proctoscopy) which is performed by a colorectal surgeon rather than a gastroenterologist to confirm this. Colonoscopy is not the ideal examination to diagnose haemorrhoids.

Kindest regards,

Charlotte

CMB2018

I just booked an appointment with a colorectal surgeon. Thank you so much for all your help. So I had one more question. Can hemorrhoids bleed enough to change the toilet water? Also would they bleed almost every other month for 2 years? I am concerned because of the amount of blood and the frequency. I did however go October-March with no bleeding.

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @CMB2018,

Bleeding from haemorrhoids can vary greatly. Some people experience just a bit of blood on wiping whilst others the blood can spray into the toilet and can certainly bleed enough to change the toilet water.

By their nature haemorrhoids often swell and subside so bleeding can be very intermittent. Even people with very large prolapsed haemorrhoids may not experience bleeding all the time.

It's good you have an appointment with the colorectal surgeon who is the most appropriate person to diagnose and treat haemorrhoids.

With kindest regards,

Charlotte

CMB2018

Hi Charlotte I had another question. I am meeting with a new Gastro tomorrow and hoping the will perform another colonoscopy. I had labs today because I’ve been tired but my labs showed no anemia. The only thing that has stayed consistently elevated since the bleeding began is my Neutrophils. They are at 8.7 (usually 7.2) but the reference high is 4.8. I’ve also noted that before I have a bleeding that I have diarrhea a couple of days prior. Are these symptoms and labs indicative of Colon Cancer? I’m so terrified I have cancer.

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Hi @CMB2018,

I hope your meeting with the gastroenterologist went well today. A raised neutrophil count really just indicates a possible infection or inflammation somewhere in the body. These results are not an indication of colon cancer.

The bleeding and diarrhoea are symptoms that should be investigated as you have previously had done but as I mentioned in my previous comment the fact that you had a normal colonoscopy in 2016 and a normal CT at the end of last year is very reassuring.

Your gastroenterologist may of course decide to repeat these investigations.

With kind regards,

Charlotte