Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Stage 4 bowel cancer

Jacey Connell 74

Constant infections

Hi All

I am on Oxy but only managed 2 cycles out of 6 so far from February. It’s really knocked me. I keep getting chest infections which ends up so bad I have to take steroids. I am under the hospice due to my progression and chemo hasn’t worked since last year. I was going to give up As I felt so I’ll but Thankfully the hospice have been great and put me on meditation to help every symptom which I was feeling great so I was feeling better and ready to fight until I had my bloods and assessment at the unit. Received a call say no chemo another infection. I can’t seem to get over it. Anything I can do to help my immune system? I already eat superfoods and have done since the beginning of my journey. I have a positive attitude even thou I do get anxious at times.

Any advice would be grateful?

mem

Hi @Jacey Connell 74. Sorry, I haven't got any advice, just wanted to send a huge hug your way and I really do hope you/they find a solution to help with the infections, it must be so frustrating for you. Lots and lots love :x::x:

Lizalou

Hi @Jacey Connell 74

I'm glad that the hospice team is working its usual magic and that you are feeling more comfortable. I don't think you can do any more for yourself with the infections, just concentrate on your overall well being.

Love and hugs :x::x:

kim74

Hi @Jacey Connell 74 I am sorry to hear that you are having chest infections I had pneumonia in September of last year and had to have my chemo stopped for 8 weeks so I know how you feel I had the flu and pneumonia jabs not sure that would help you. I hope your team will come up with something to help you get over this chest infections so you can start back on chemo.
Best wishes
Kim :x::x:

Jacey Connell 74

@kim74 Thank you. I am due for bloods next week but see what oncologist says on Monday as Dr says takes 2 - 3 weeks to clear up. Fingers and toes crossed :x::x:

Alwyn

Hi @Jacey Connell 74 sorry to hear you are still suffering with infections, I don't really know what to suggest. I've been taken off oxy due to bad reactions so just waiting for trials now. Are you eligible for any trials?Hope they can sort out your infections soon. :x::x::x:

Jacey Connell 74

@Alwyn Thanks Hun. What reactions did you have with Oxy? I have only managed 2 cycles so far. Haven’t had chemo for two months due to infections. Seeing oncologist on the 1st May. I know I can have a third line chemo which is tablets but don’t know if this still an option. Going to ask Oncologist if maybe I can stay on antibiotics to try and give me a chance to have chemo once my chest clear. :x::x:

Alwyn

Hi @Jacey Connell 74 I started vomiting during the infusion non stop for half an hour then my blood pressure dropped drastically and I couldn't breathe properly. I had to be given oxygen and bags of fluids to rehydrate me. The oncologist said it's too risky to have it again and yet when I had oxy four years ago I managed 8 sessions without a problem.
I think the tablets you mention will be Lonsurf, I had them for about six months but then they stopped working so only trials for me now. I really hope your infections clear up and you can get back on with dealing with this, what a horrible disease this is. :x::x::x::x:

Jacey Connell 74

@Alwyn Omg Hun that must of been scary. Yes fingers crossed I can get back to chemo. The hospice have been great in sorting out medication and support. I have everything crossed for you for trials. :x::x::x: