Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

General Discussion

ronjay

How big an operation for LAR Ileostomy reversal is it?

I had an LAR operation in May last year. Everything that could go wrong did! Without going into too much detail, I lost almost 3 stone in weight and I'm now just getting back on my feet. I can't put up with the Ileostomy bag for much longer. I would like to know how big an operation is and how much it takes out of people in general. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry to @Pallvi

ronjay

@palace1960 for not getting back to you. Hope you are keeping well. Best wishes to all. @ronjay. (Ron). Please delete my typing error: @Pallvi

palace1960

Hi @ronjay really great to hear from you, I often wondered how you are getting on. Sorry to hear that you’ve had problems since your op, I hope things are getting better for you. As you know I had APR surgery so permanent stoma, so can’t offer you and any advice on LAR reversal but I’m sure there are a few on the forum that have and they will be along shortly. Take care - Ron

sweetcheeks

Hi @ronjay , my husband had his reversed as a day case in November, tve actual surgery caused no problems and we had an emergency number available 24/7
Not going to lie the bowels have caused a few problems, but we were warned it takes a while to have any form of a new normal,
But answer to your question the actual surgery was no problem at all,
Geoff is 68 , not that I think that makes a difference
Best of luck
Tracey :x::x:

Lizalou

Hi @ronjay

The actual operation should be much quicker and more straightforward. I had no significant pain at all (and I refuse morphine) and was totally mobile straight away.

The issue was that my bowels didn't work for days, needed to be on a drip. Once that was resolved, I was home and back to normal very quickly, with my bowels working at a manageable level.

Best wishes :x:

ronjay

Thank you @Lizalou and @sweetcheeks. Both you comments have given me a better insight about the operation. I see the surgeon next Monday. Hopefully he will give me more information on having it done. As I've had a leak at the join since the operation, more checks will be required like scans etc. before a decision is made. Will post the outcome after my appointment.