Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Applejack

First IV Capox - any tips?

Heading into hospital to start Capox today - the infusion. Any tips on things I should bring with me? Am I imagining it or did I read it could make you very cold?

Mrs2017

Hi, my husband was advised to take in hat and scarf for when you leave , you should not be cold when having the IV but going back outside again the cold can effect you, and remember not to try cold drinks after , everything needs to be warm, all the best Chris

terri m

Hello. I just had my 3rd capox.. People will react differently, however I found my arm very painful afterwards. So brought myself a heatpad which has been wonderful to wrap round my arm, when I get home... Remember to have plenty of gloves has touching cold things can be very unpleasant, for a few days... Good luck :x::x::x:

Stillme

On my second infusion a different nurse asked me about pain in my arm and then brought me a heat pad which he changed twice for new ones to keep them hot, to keep on my arm actually during the infusion and I must admit I've hardly had any pain whereas I still have pain from the first infusion in the other arm.
I would advise cotton gloves which making touching or picking things up much easier, non alcohol mouthwash for sore mouthes, a variety of drinks to hand as your taste varies from day to day.
Hope it has gone ok for you. :x::x:

chris61

Hi @Applejack, yes cold was one of the worst things with me too so oven gloves for taking things out of the fridge/freezer are a good idea. Trying to shred cold lettuce in silicone gloves was a novel experience!! I found the Oxy really knocked me out so by day 5 the fatigue really set in. And in the first few days you may experience 'lock-jaw' when trying to eat which I found passed quite quickly but was a bit unnerving. Keep a chemo diary as subsequent cycles are likely to follow a similar pattern. All the best.:x::x:

Applejack

Went ok. Threw up afterwards but suspect largely due to avocado and banana smoothie I had (not a good combo!). Very pins and needles hands as expected. Also tremors in hands - did anyone else have these? Feel largely ok though and not sick anymore.

Applejack

@Stillme and @terri m I'll watch out for arm soreness. I have a picc line in so hoping that will help. Were you via picc?

Jane39

@Applejack . Definitely had the tremors the day of treatment with Capox. . Hope you feel ok this morning . With a PICC you hopefully won’t have the arm soreness ( I had Capox with a cannula and a PICC - much better with PICC !) :x:

jinnyp

Hi @Applejack, I have oxalaplatin as part of Folfox via a PICC line and have never had pain in my arm - I think that can sometimes happen when it is given through a cannula.
I get the ‘first bite’ thing occasionally now and that seems to have reduced as time has gone on; I am due cycle 10 tomorrow and it rarely happens.
The dexamethasone given prior to the infusion sometimes keeps me awake the first night although Nytol ( the blue one) helps with that. Take all of the antisickness you are offered; you’ll find a combination that works for you.
The wearing of gloves is good advice, I keep some attached to the fridge with a magnet to try and remind me, it makes a difference, avoid the freezer for the first few days and try not to 😢- I find that really hurts at the beginning. Keep a note of your side effects though, the dose can be modified if they are too severe, I think my oxi dose will be reduced this week as the neuropathy isn’t going away between cycles any more.
Good luck with everything :x::x::x:

Applejack

Thanks @Jane39 and @jinnyp. Good to know I am not the only one with tremors - it wasn't listed as a usual side effect on my drug sheet. Ditto the not sleeping (I'm up at 3am here!). Hope they sort out your neuropathy @jinnyp. How long did it last in early cycles?

jinnyp

Hi @Applejack, the steroids are beasts for keeping you awake but they do work well as an anti emetic! If you have them for 3 days afterwards at home then just try not to be too late with the second dose - I found as long as iI had it before 3 it didn't affect my sleep - I do go to bed very late though :)
The neuropathy and sensitivity to cold used to wear off over the first 5 days or so, the cold sensitivity was the last to go and I avoid cold drinks for at least the first week. Now it doesn't really go away completely hence the dose reduction.
:x::x:

Applejack

Thanks @jinnyp. Hoping for the five day end. I just had the one dose of steroids before the oxy' IV. I now have a twitchy eye but just saw another post on here and looks like a lot of people do. Keeping bits to tell Dr.

Jane39

@Applejack ... yes twitching eyes , altered sensation over face , try not to cry as it burns ! Promise that you get familar to these side effects albeit not nice but all manageable..... I remember it was all quite scary on the first cycle , but you will be fine ! As said by @jinnyp the dexamethsone is great to prevent sickness and I figure it’s bettter to be awake and not vomiting , than being awake vomiting !!!! Just had chemo and biological today and accept I’ll be up all night ! All the best :x:

Applejack

Thanks @Jane39. Ironic it hurts to cry when could really do with a good bawl sometimes! I couldn't cry in hospital either as hurt too much with Ng tube. Hands still bad and mild nausea but otherwise not too bad so far (touch wood!). Tired but think due to anaemia - going to agree to the blood transfusion they wanted to give me I think (Hb was just over 7 so above threshold where I had to have one for treatment).

Jane39

Hi @Applejack . How are things going ... no wonder you are tired with that low Hb ! Are you going to have a transfusion? Hope the oxy is treating you well :x::x:

Applejack

Thanks @Jane39. I phoned up this morning and said I will agree to one now (had been offerred before but I didn't feel too bad so declined) had blood test today and if indicated they can sort me out tomorrow hopefully. Still oxy pins and needles - had to abandon walk today as too cold. Hope you are ok after your treatments and managed to get some sleep.