Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

New to the forum?

nick.008

Narrow Stool - Should I be Worried?

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum from quite a some time now but this is the first time I am posting here.

Recently, my father, 72 years old was diagnosed with Ca Rectosigmoid, Stage 3B. He went for Colectomy and doing quite well now. But this whole episode disturbed me and I'm worried I might get it too. I'm 29 years old and other than my father no one in my close relation had Colon Cancer.

I never did but now I started checking my stool and I noticed that sometimes (not always) I pass narrow stool. I have 2 bowel movements each day (before and after the breakfast). My stool is bit narrow especially the second time when I go to the loo. Besides that, I'm not experiencing any other symptoms. I did the Fecal Occult Blood twice and both the times result was negative.

Should I go for any other screening like Colonoscopy/Virtual Colonoscopy? I would love to hear from you guys. Thank you.

mem

Hi and a warm welcome @nick.008.
It is great to hear your father is now doing well after a bowel cancer diagnosis and long may that continue for him. It certainly sounds like you have been put through the mill emotionally. A cancer diagnosis of a loved one can knock you for six can't it?
I am glad you have found this forum, however, I don't think any of us can advise whether you should have a colonoscopy or not, but I certainly would advise, if you haven't already, to discuss your fears, recent bowel habit change and Dad's cancer diagnosis thoroughly with your GP. And In the mean time, please bear in mind that there could be numerous other reasons why your bowel habits have changed, Including stress. It is reassuring that you don't have any other symptoms and that you've had a negative Fecal Occult Blood test, but still, it is always better discussing any concerns/symptons with a professional than not.
Try not to worry and please keep us posted.
Best wishes :x::x:

nick.008

Hi Mem, thanks for all the suggestions and good wishes. Well, apart from this occasional narrow stool thing, I didn't notice any other changes in my bowel habits. I've been pooping twice a day for a very long time now. But yeah, I am really scared after my father diagnosis.

nick.008

I don't even smoke (my father used to) or drink but i know that it is not always decrease your chances of getting Cancer.

mem

It's very understandable that you are scared @nick.008. The brain starts working over-time when cancer enters our lives, but like you say, there isn't that much of change with your bowel habits but I would still discuss with your GP even if its 'just' for reassurance and peace of mind. :x::x:

chris61

Hi @nick.008 and welcome to the forum. I agree with the advice above that it makes sense to discuss things through with your GP. If there is no blood or any of the other typical bowel cancer symptoms, then what you describe sounds normal according to the Bristol Stool Scale but it does no harm to be vigilant. Great to hear your Dad is doing well now too. Best wishes.

nick.008

@chris61 , I will get in touch with my GP. Best wishes to you. I hope side effects of your round 4 chemo subside soon. Take care!

@mem As advised, I would talk to my GP about this soon. Thanks again for all the help.

Btw, I was reading the "About Me" section of your profile and I was like "Wow, this lady is so tough." You've already beat cancer so many times. All the best for your upcoming scans. I'm going to pray for you.

sweetcheeks

Just a hello from me @nick.008 , it’s a dreadfully worrying time after a loved one gets a diagnosis, and I have very much learned that our Bowels are complicated beggars that play mind games with us when we are stressed, your doing all the right things getting checked and talking with your Gp so fingers crossed, it’s all good news for you , great to hear Dad is doing well , but also sorry to here anyone is going through this journey, keep us updated
Much love
Tracey
:x::x::x::x::x:

mem

Thankyou @nick.008 for your kind words and I am really pleased to hear you are seeking help from your GP.
Love to you and your father :x::x:

1234annie

I would say you have nothing to worry about but request a colonoscopy for your peace if mine. :x:

nick.008
Quote from @sweetcheeks:
Just a hello from me @nick.008 , it’s a dreadfully worrying time after a loved one gets a diagnosis, and I have very much learned that our Bowels are complicated beggars that play mind games with us when we are stressed, your doing all the right things getting checked and talking with your Gp so fingers crossed, it’s all good news for you , great to hear Dad is doing well , but also sorry to here anyone is going through this journey, keep us updated
Much love
Tracey

Hi Tracey, thanks for the reply. I'm already feeling much better. You guys are wonderful.

RosemaryA

@nick.008 - hello there. I have removed your photos as they may potentially be deemed offensive, thank you for understanding.
However, you may find it useful when talking to your doctor to describe your stools relative to the Bristol Stool Scale, which will help him or her understand more.

There is more information here https://www.gutsense.org/constipation/normal_stools.html

Please also take a look at the information on our website, where you cal also find useful information about talking to your doctor. https://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/understanding-bowel-cancer/symptoms/

I understand this is a worrying time for you but speaking to your doctor about your concerns sooner rather than later is definitely the best thing to do.

With best wishes

Rosemary

nick.008
Quote from @RosemaryA:
@nick.008 - hello there. I have removed your photos as they may potentially be deemed offensive, thank you for understanding.
However, you may find it useful when talking to your doctor to describe your stools relative to the Bristol Stool Scale, which will help him or her understand more.

There is more information here www.gutsense.org/constipation/normal_stools.html

Please also take a look at the information on our website, where you cal also find useful information about talking to your doctor. www.beatingbowelcancer.org/understanding-bowel-cancer/symptoms/

I understand this is a worrying time for you but speaking to your doctor about your concerns sooner rather than later is definitely the best thing to do.

With best wishes

Rosemary

I'm sorry. I will be more careful next time.

RosemaryA

Hi @nick.008, there's really no need to apologise - we fully understand why you posted the photos and that the intention was to inform rather than offend :)

Best of luck

Rosemary