Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

General Discussion

Carole B

Ketogenic diet

I’ve been reading a bit about how a ketogenic diet which is low in sugar is being trialled to help kill off cancer cells. Has anyone any experience of this diet and can suggest the best books? I’ll try anything!

jeangenie

Have a look on Youtube - here is one

While I think there is a lot of truth in these ideas I think it is dangerous to promote the idea that diet can replace chemotherapy. There is no reason why we shouldn't combine both.

RosemaryA

Good afternoon @Carole B and @jeangenie - interesting topic! There are lots of discussions on the forum about diet and lots of different perspectives too. The charity's advice is to ALWAYS consult your medical team if you are thinking of trying a specific diet to complement your treatment plan. We also have some booklets that give diet and lifestyle advice for patients living with and beyond bowel cancer, which you can download here https://bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/P601%20BOW%20Diet%20and%20Lifestyle%20Guide_LRFinal.pdf and here www.beatingbowelcancer.org/...2016/03/Living-Well-Booklet-1.pdf

jeangenie

Thank you, Rosemary.

Carole B

Hi Jean genie. I agree with you that it can work alongside chemo. I wouldn’t advocate it as an alternative. I remember Prof John Yudkin’s book on sugar in the 1960s - ‘Pure, white and deadly’ abou t sugar. I finished chemo 13 months ago, having had to stop after the 9th cycle because of an allergic reaction. Last August we moved and so I am now being reviewed by a different hospital and don’t really have a medical team. I am going to continue wit( trying a ketogenic diet, if only to see if it will reduce the large hump of fat/tissue which I have under my rib cage at the front as a result of the operation. A fellow sufferer suggested it was where the intestines were pushed around after removal of the affected part of the bowel! But wouldn’t you think that would make more room in there?!
Now lookin* for a booklet to give me some 8dea of carb content of foods so I don’t overdo things.
Many thanks for the link to YouTube. Watched it and convinced even more about sugar.
Hope all is going well for you.

Carole B

Thanks for the advice Rosemary. I’ve got those booklets.

Sasa

Hi @Carole B , I think the ketogenic diet has its place in a diverse approach to cancer treatment which includes chemo, but would always stress the importance of an all round approach that ticks lots of boxes.

I do think there’s a lot to be said for this diet, but it has to feel right for the individual and if you don’t fancy the food, it’s probably not the right thing for someone. Please let us know how you get along with it if you try it!

Good luck

Sarah :x:

Carole B

Hi Sarah. Been trying it for a week or two and feel fine. Also lost a little weight and body fat. The hard part is the willpower and keeping off sugar and carbs but if it starves cancer cells in the long term then it is worth it. Actually made a chocolate mousse with organic cocoa, almond milk and a ripe avocado, plus a little Stevia today. Really nice with some fresh raspberries. Next it is the Nordic Walking! Onwards and upwards. I just wondered if anyone else had tried a ketogenic regime.
Carole :x:

Sasa

Hi @Carole B , sounds yum, have you tried muffins?

One egg, ground almonds (same volume) and whatever takes your fancy ..... 85% chocolate, grated apples, chopped date, banana etc. Even grated cheese is nice. Microwaved for one minute.

Very low carb 👊

Sarah :x:

Carole B

Hi Sarah. Where did you find that recipe idea? Sounds nice.

Sasa

Oh it’s the Atkins “muffin in a minute” @Carole B there are lots of similarities between ketogenic and other low carb brands - they are all basically low carb.

On the Atkins website are lots of recipe ideas 😊

Sarah x

Ps if you want someone to see your reply you can put an @ in front of their “name” and it will send a private message to them which is your post....

Carole B

Hi @Sarah,
As they say here in Derbyshire - ta me duck!