Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

General Discussion

1234annie

Just out of interest....who drank & smoked?

Just because I'm so curious as to why we get cancer is it the norm that cancer patients drank or smoked? I started smoking at 15 and gave up by 23 but as you can have polips for 10 years before they become cancer it was potentially there from 22ish?!
I'm not going to lie and I did like a drink, my mum was an alcoholic so I've not had a great relationship with alcohol. She's always been a smoker too, at the ripe old age of 72 shes not got cancer.....
One thing I always had from childhood was stress, lots of stressful situations with my parents which carried on into my 20's.....maybe it was that....

GD1962

I think we are being poisoned by environmental pollutant toxins in the food chain and the full impact of Chernobyl blowing winds over the UK have never been fully investigated.

Stillme

This thread has been so interesting and forgive me but I can't remember all the different names of people who have such valid points but I certainly categorically blame myself (apart from things I have done in the past that I think this is payback, but that's another story......) I too have always done slimming world especially years ago with the red days, but even without that if you look back to the 80's and 90's there was more and more convenience foods that seemed to make life so easy especially with young children. I mostly have always cooked my own food but all the foods I would have had in the past now terrify me with the amount of chemicals in them. I also have had a huge amount of stress over the past few years. Therefore, to read of people who have always eaten healthily, excercise etc that still get bowel cancer do make me think that maybe it isn't all my own fault.

Sasa

And don’t forget that with all the factory farmed produce that is genetically modified to be sweeter or less bitter, we are selecting vital nutrients out of our food, so even if we cook ‘proper’ meals, they’re not as healthy as they would have been for our grandparents.

Who remembers grapes with a bitter skin and actual pips? And lettuce grown in soil is heading towards being a thing of the past.

It scares me for my kids and they seem so blasé about their health.....

Sarah :x:

Baxter2

@Soarkles....you’re hilarious!

@GD1962 I think you’re probably right!

@Stillme You are absolutely not in any way to blame for your cancer and neither is it payback! Nobody deserboves this cruel disease and we all do the best we can to love a good enough life most of the time! What else can we do?

@Sasa I agree with your point too.

K💚💜💙💛❤️

at2017

We officially have a gang!!!! High five to the stabby bum painers!!
I am def going to ask my non cancer friends if they also get this.
Literally 30 seconds of being knifed up the bum, then gone! Odd!
Any men with this or just a lady thing???

Quote from @Sparkles:
*throws both arms in the air* ooh ooh ooh Add me to the stabby bum pain gang!! @1234annie @at2017 .... It could be so embarrassing in public when suddenly youd grab onto something, cross your legs meanwhile holding your breath, painting a odd smile on your face looking around with your eyes whispering "nothing to see here!!" Then suddenly like nothing happened return to normal!! 😂

eyeofthetiger

@at2017 @1234annie I am also part of the stabby bum pain gang and have had it since I was a teenager. I haven't had it recently since my tumor has been removed . I asked my GP about it and he said he didn't know but he said he sometimes got it as well. I have just googled it and it seems that there are a lot of us out there. Its also referred to as 'shooty arse' or 'javelin arse' but I couldn't find anything convincing that could be the cause.

1234annie
Quote from @Baxter2:
This is always an interesting question @1234annie and one I ponder now and again. I’ve recently been thinking about it more recently.

I don’t smoke but enjoyed drinks socially. I’ve exercised (although in the last few years before diagnosis, due to workload etc, my work life balance and stress levels were all to pot! My diet was good I’d say including plenty fruit and veg and limited processed foods.

I was thinking of my dogs. One was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and died prematurely within days in Sept 2017. My other dog has just been diagnosed with low grade stage 4 Lymphoma in late December affecting her GI tract and is now on chemotherapy. Obviously, none of the dogs smoked, drank or ate a rubbish diet. They didn’t consume sugar. They exercised every day and from what I could see, were certainly not stressed! With the three of us in the same boat, I wondered if there was any possible link or just simple rotten bad luck! Who knows?!

K💚💜💙💛❤️

Thats a good point, the only possible link there would be food! :x:

Chas

Gave up smoking sbout 30 yearscago, and alcohol about 20 years ago. My only lifetime issue is my inability to manage anxieties. Showed itself frequently in my job in the NHS. I’m leaning towards influences of mental health and indeed things of a spiritual nature (not religious) as possible neagative influences on my physical health. However no clear cut reasons for bowel cancer in research. No point for me thinking why.

1234annie
Quote from @eyeofthetiger:
@at2017 I am also part of the stabby bum pain gang and have had it since I was a teenager. I haven't had it recently since my tumor has been removed . I asked my GP about it and he said he didn't know but he said he sometimes got it as well. I have just googled it and it seems that there are a lot of us out there. Its also referred to as 'shooty arse' or 'javelin arse' but I couldn't find anything convincing that could be the cause.

Maybe what ever gives us this pain has caused long term infamation and subsequent cancer.....seems too many of us to be coincidence???? I will ask about too....

1234annie

I've just put it out on FB to poll my friends for stabby bum pain..... let's see what they say... or defriend me!! 😂

at2017

Love this!!! Keep us posted!

I've just messaged a few of friends, the two that have answered said they do and always when they are on their period. I think it must just be an unspoken thing!!

Quote from @1234annie:
I've just put it out on FB to poll my friends for stabby bum pain..... let's see what they say... or defriend me!! 😂

Baxter2

I think diet is an interesting one @1234annie. I’m sure there’s a lot of c**p goes into pet foods. Either that or environmental like pesticides/weed killers.

It’s an interesting thread!

K💚💜💙💛❤️

P.s think I know what you mean re the SBP 😂😂

1234annie

Well so far 4 have, 3 of these have krones &(1 bowel cancer at 18 too) and colitis diagnosed from colonoscopy....

Gill

I'm a non-smoker and seldom drink anything other than water these days! However, I had a stressful job and was bringing up teenagers as a single parent. I really believe that stress was the major cause of my cancer. I have now taken ill health retirement and the teenagers are grown and flown. Only stress in my life now is the husband! xxx p.s. don't have SBP :D

tisme

I smoked years ago but stopped. I don't drink alcohol accept maybe a glass of baileys at Christmas. I rarely eat red meat. I don't tick all the boxes so to speak. Fit healthy and active and in the too young catagory for bowel cancer. I am a firm believer it's genetics that play a role. There is a lot of cancer in my family.

Seashells

This is really interesting. I can tick mum and 2 aunties on the maternal side of my family having breast or stomach cancer much later in life (80s) and paternal grandma with pancreatic cancer at 67 but apart from her all my grandparents and half my great grandparents lived into their 90s which gave me a false sense of security!
I was in Scotland at the time of Chernobyl @GD1962 and I remember being out hill walking in the rain and coming home to see the news, which they'd kept quiet for a week or two if I remember correctly. They then tracked the weather and there were maps on TV showing Scotland had received a lot of the fallout. It gave me the tingles at the time.
I wonder if this could have contributed to what seems to be a high number of young people being diagnosed now? It would be interesting to find out if an event in 1986 correlates with unexpected peaks in different types of cancer in those who were very young then.
If we need something to blame, environmental factors have to be somewhere in the mix. There's nothing we can do about a nuclear accident in the past and I do think attitudes towards human impact on the environment are improving which is all we can hope for, I guess.

angepange

I want to be in the stabby bum
Pain gang, but can’t because I’ve never had it! Oh dear!:x::x:

Dan-888

I ticked all the boxes;
drank, smoked, loved steaks, full English with processed meats in sausages, bacon, black pudding, as well as BBQs.
Didn't exercised and have a pretty full on job, which some would find immensely stressful.
My body (& mind) stopped needing to smoke & I haven't had any urge nor smoked since before my surgery almost 6 years ago.
I still like a drink but real ales as well as too much alcohol upsets my bowels so that has been reduced. Although I never drank regularly, only once or at most twice a month. I never liked drinking alone.
I've moderated my intake of red meat and hardly ever have processed meat now.
I've also started exercising and eating more vegetables etc.

But a couple at my hospital-based Cancer support group are both vegetarians for religious & cultural reasons and never smoked. The wife never drank and the husband only drank a little at social occasions.
None of the boxes ticked. Yet both had bowel cancer.

1234annie

There is clearly no rhym or reason to it
There is a lady who writes for the sun and had stage 4 bowel. She's a vegitarian....she still got cancer!! As my post started my mum now 73 has always been an alcoholic and smoked 40 a day and still does!! She doesn't have cancer....as far as we know!! It's just crazy...the whole thing! I'm starting to think it is 'bad luck' if it's not genetic. Stress seems the only thing we have in common. :x: