Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

General Discussion

1234annie

Just out of interest....who drank & smoked?

Just because I'm so curious as to why we get cancer is it the norm that cancer patients drank or smoked? I started smoking at 15 and gave up by 23 but as you can have polips for 10 years before they become cancer it was potentially there from 22ish?!
I'm not going to lie and I did like a drink, my mum was an alcoholic so I've not had a great relationship with alcohol. She's always been a smoker too, at the ripe old age of 72 shes not got cancer.....
One thing I always had from childhood was stress, lots of stressful situations with my parents which carried on into my 20's.....maybe it was that....

1234annie

Mmm not that I know of but all this info is pointing towards the fact that wine is ok for me..... and relieving my guilt. Cheers

Baxter2

No we don’t @david watt. That’s really interesting though.

Cheers @1234annie!

Karen ????❤️

1234annie

I was saying to my hubby the other day that its something mundane!! We do it everyday.... interestingly my alcoholic mother didn't drink much water!! :x:

1234annie

Cheers Karen! :x:

Swan

Well he's in northern Spain ( notfar from where they make excellent rijoca) @Baxter2 and @StellieHB He tells me it's cold there at the moment, so we should head south for the sunshine, bur the wine is good! :x::x:

Baxter2

Costa del sol it is then @Swan and @StellieHB!

??? :x::x::x:

StellieHB

Water! Blimey - could it be???! Very interesting @david watt ! @Swan @Baxter - That’s settled then! A commune located in southern Spain serving a Mediterranean menu, @1234annie’s wine and bottled mountain water? Where do I sign? ?

Dan-888

Not wishing to nit pick ... but isn't that a bit small?

Quote from @1234annie:
Mmm not that I know of but all this info is pointing towards the fact that wine is ok for me..... and relieving my guilt. Cheers

1234annie
Quote from @Dan-888:
Not wishing to nit pick ... but isn't that a bit small?

Small? :x:

1234annie
Quote from @StellieHB:
Water! Blimey - could it be???! Very interesting @david watt ! @Swan @Baxter - That’s settled then! A commune located in southern Spain serving a Mediterranean menu, @1234annie’s wine and bottled mountain water? Where do I sign? ?

? yep.....that is the answer!

Dan-888
Quote from @1234annie:
Small?

Small bottle of Sauvignon blanc :P;);)

1234annie

???? - I know, it's the guilt @Dan-888

Baxter2

And me! Kxxx

jinnyp

Sounds wonderful- count me in too! :x::x::x:

SariDaffs

Interesting thread @1234annie and I am following but not put anything in the discussion so far. Might be interesting to see what is already 'out there' in terms of research although most is probably well known (e.g. academic.oup.com/ije/article-abstract/46/6/1786/4085768).

It is not just the lifestyle factors involved but the availability of screening to pick up the cancer in the early stages.

For myself I have always had a healthy diet with almost no cured meats, little red meat, tons of veg etc and very active (now completely vegetarian). I do drink alcohol and have smoked a bit in the past (party smoker). But one of my best friends died of this at the age of 48 and she was a vegetarian, never smoked and hardly drank and very active (was Italian). Likewise I have plenty of friends who fulfill all the 'bad' lifestyle criteria and don't seem to have developed any bowel problems.

I have been thinking though that this forum is a resource to collect information - although we are a rather self-selected bunch who may not be representative of the general population:)

1234annie

@SariDaffs I know I've found it so interesting. From what I've learnt we are not at all your typical stereotype drinker and smokers, I find it shocking and un fair that this is the case. I'm starting to wonder if @david watt is right and it's something as mundane as that....the water we drink!! Having read a little bit on line there are loads if chemicals they treat it with. Not to mention the state of the pipes it travels though before we drink it! It's the only thing we consume with dogs for instance who don't drink and smoke but still get cancer. My oncologist was quite adamant my type of cancer was a environmental/life style issue..... so if it's not stress maybe this is the answer. I'm still not convinced it's just 'bad lucky'...... I was talking to my hubby and we discussed that his nan was a generstion where they had to boil their water. Maybe I should start a thread....who drinks a lot of tap water????

SariDaffs

@1234annie, yes this makes fascinating reading! Also, there is the influence of genetics ... all the genes that may predispose someone to the cancer, but also the genes that may protect against it (and we may just be missing some of those).

I do wonder about all the processed food that we eat though and the plastics that are used to wrap it!

1234annie

Yes that's what my oncologist said @SariDaffs 'we all eat out of packets these days'
I definetly think diet is a factor but I didn't think my diet was bad. There is cancer on my father's side, although my dad and aunt haven't had cancer but family members before them did but not specific to bowel and later in life. My cancer wasn't genetic and I didnt carry a spacific gene which she said was on my side so there was less chance of recurrence. This makes me think it's definetly something I ate/drank and I've never been over weight and always very active. :x:

david watt

@1234annie to be fair, oncologists don't completely understand the genetics of any cancer yet. There are two known genetic causes, FAP and Lynch, with Genes, MLH1, PMS2, MSH2, MSH6, and faulty APC genes for FAP. They are discovering new genes and genetic issues as they go along, so some people who test negative for FAP and lynch may still have a genetic issue that the doctors don't understand yet. My primary tumor cancer cells were missing MLH1 and PMS2, but tested negative for lynch.
Other recent research has also said gut bacteria play a very crucial role in the development of polyps which in time develop into cancer.
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/02/180201173406.htm
So your diet and drinking habits effect which bacteria live in your gut. It is like a symbiotic relationship, and they help with the digestive system, but some can also do harm e.g. e coli and salmonella etc. I have been on probiotic tablets for a few months to try to increase the range of healthy gut bacteria, doctors at present have a limited understanding of the role gut bacteria play in our lives and immune systems function.
Best wishes David