Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

General Discussion

Daria27

Worried this might be bowel cancer

Hello all. Thank you for taking your time in reading my post.
I have finally visited GP with my sympthoms. Recently I lost a lot of weight (not sure if it might be because I stopped my contraception - implanon) 10 kg under 2 months, and lately people tell me that I'm getting even skinnier. I'm not on a diet, I am also not exercising much. I had blood when I wipe for a long time which was put down to my hemoroids, and mucus either yellow or brown. What started to worry me is pain under my belly bottom when I need to go to the toilet. The pain is so strong it pins me down to the floor and I can't move. It lasts around 15 seconds and it feels like I have thousands knives stabbing me. It comes back every few minutes until I go to the toilet.
My GP got terrified when he heard all that, and if I would be 60 he would be sure I have cancer, and that he really hopes he is wrong but giving me cancer referral for colonoscopy. He looked very worried and shock. It looked like he made his mind that I do have cancer...
I am just so worried. I can't sleep, I can't really talk with anyone about this. Is this pain normal ... ? I know I shouldn't think that until I'm diagnosed but I am so certain I will...

Baxter2

Good morning @Daria27 and a very warm welcome to the forum. I’m sure you’ll find lots of information, advice (if you want it) and support here.

I guess there’s nothing I can say to reassure you in this situation until you have the neccesary investigations done. Please take heart that your GP has taken your concerns seriously though since for many patients sadly, this isn’t the case and they need to make repeated visits to their GP with concerns.

In the meantime, it sounds like your going to have a challenging few weeks until you know what (if anything) your dealing with. There are lots of different conditions which have similar signs and symptoms to bowel cancer and it may well be that you are diagnosed with one of them. My advice would be to try and keep as busy and distracted as you can and perhaps have a look at some of the downloadable publications on this site. If you want to, you can call the Nurse helpline and have a chat with Charlotte. Do you have a trusted friend or relative whom you could lean on just now? It’s a lot to keep to yourself.

I hope you stick around on the forum as there will be lots of support here for you too.

Sending lots of good wishes,

K????❤️

mem

Hi @Daria27 and welcome to our forum.
I'm really not surprised you are feeling anxious but I am glad to hear you have quite rightly sought help from your GP and have already been referred for a colonoscopy. Hopefully, this will be happening sooner rather than later for you.
I can totally understand your fears but there may be other possibilities regarding your symptoms, and I know this is far easier said than done but try not think the worst at this stage. Stress will no doubt be making you feel more unwell.
If (and this is a big if) it is confirmed as bowel cancer, you will see on this forum that there are a lot of positive stories in regards to positive treatment for bowel cancer and people living-well in spite of a bowel cancer diagnosis
We will be here for you to offer support and understanding and please ask if there any questions you may have in regards to your upcoming colonoscopy, or perhaps guidance in discussing your fears with your loved ones, if that is what you choose.
Sending love and support :x::x::x:

mem

Me and the lovely @Baxter2 have replied at the same time @Daria27. As you can see, you're certainly not on your own and we will be right beside you :x::x::x:

Daria27

Thank you so much both, I really appreciate your words.
The only person I can speak to is my boyfriend but he only always says it's not cancer for sure, and I believe he is afraid himself to think it might be. All my family is in Poland same as all my friends, I don't have many people in England.
I'm really glad my GP didn't put this to IBS, but he did scare the sh** out of me!
I'm not sure what is the wait for colonoscopy but I hope it's not too long as I'm little ball of stress now.
I am sorry to put that in you, you have enough of worries yourself...
I was reading a little about colposcopy... can you choose if you want to be sedated? As I would prefer not to... Also would I need some days of work?
I am trying to keep busy with work, and we also bought our first house, we will be moving in few weeks ?? I try to focus on that, but right before going to sleep when I'm alone with my thoughts I get scared. I was looking forward to our new house, I still don't have children. I'm scared I won't be able to enjoy that. I hate night.

Baxter2

Hi @Daria27

I can see that both @mem and I said similar in our replies!

I’m sorry that you don’t have family here in the UK and I’m sure your boyfriend is trying his best to reassure you. We are all here anytime and if you prefer, you can also private message forum users if you wanted. Focusing on your first house sounds like a great diversion for you but I know exactly what you mean about the night time worries. It all seems to be much scarier and more worrying during the night for some reason. We can all identify with that I’m sure.

With regards to the colonoscopy, I’ve only had one done and opted to have it without sedation as I wanted to see the screen and hear what was being said. I just didn’t like the idea of being sedated. I do think most people have sedation though. It’s just a matter of choice. You would probably need.two days off work I’d suggest. The day before when you need to fast and drink a solution to empty your bowel and also the day of the procedure.

Hopefully you won’t have too long to wait for it.

Sending hugs,

K????❤️

mem

I can't add too what @Baxter2 has already advised @Daria27 but just to say, you're certainly not putting on us and please keep us posted with how you're getting on :x::x:

Daria27

Hello everyone.
So I got a phone call from the hospital. My appointment is tomorrow at 15.15. The part which I'm annoyed about is that I'm only having Flexible sigmoidoscopy not a full colonoscopy.
Certainly my sympthoms can indicate cancer can be anywhere in the bowel.
Is that test even good to diagnose bowel cancer?
I just know I won't be 100% satisfied as they won't check all the bowel.

Sally1963

@Daria27 how did you get on yesterday? Do let us know. Best wishes :x::x::x:

mem

Hi @Daria27. I was also wondering how you're getting on? I really do hope you received positive news from your recent sigmoidoscopy ?? :x::x:

jinnyp

Hi @Daria27 , I hope your sigmoidoscopy went ok?
I didn't have full colonoscopy when I was diagnosed, I had flexible sigmoidoscopy like you have had - I think which one you have may be determined by which part of the bowel they need to look at - at mine they took biopsies and removed polyps which they used to make the diagnosis.
Let us know how you got on
Take care, Jane :x::x::x:

Daria27

Hello my lovelies.
Thank you for your messages and for checking up on me. My flexi syg was extremely painful, unfortunately they weren't able to get as far as they wanted...
But from what they saw it all looked ok, just found some hemmoroids which I was aware of. Unfortunately this doesn't answer the pain im having, but that is little worry now. So fortunately it was nothing.
I had a follow up appointment with my GP yesterday, he gave me some medicine and advised to take it for a month to see if the pain goes away, if not we will keep trying to find the cause!
I can't stress enough how grateful I am for all the support. It's been hard couple of weeks but finally I can enjoy and focus on the move to our first house!
I wish you all the best and I will keep you in my prayers. I would also like you to know, even that I had all clear I am here for you and if anyone needs to talk please do not hesitate to message me!

Sending all my love :x::x:

Baxter2

Oh wow! This is just THE best news @Daria27!

Good luck with the new house!

K????❤️

mem

This is fantastic news @Daria27! So chuffed for you!
I hope the medicine helps with your pain and happy new home btw! ☺️
Take care, lots of love :x::x:

chris61

Great news @Daria27 and very best wishes for the future. :x::x:

jinnyp

@Daria27 that is brilliant news, so pleased for you!
Enjoy your new home, hope the move goes smoothly for you. Also hoping that you get the pain under control and you are sorted soon.
Take care, Jane :x::x::x:

Sally1963

@Daria27 so pleased that the sigmoidoscopy found nothing sinister. I hope that your symptoms subside with the medication. It is reassuring to know that your GP is on the case and committed to finding the cause of your pain if current treatment is not effective. In the meantime I really hope your move goes well and that you enjoy living in your lovely new house. Best wishes :x::x::x::x::x: