Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

New to the forum?

kw1983

Just diagnosed

Hello. I’ve never posted on a forum before so this is completely new to me. I’m a 34 year old lady who has just been diagnosed within the last couple of days. I have my scans today for staging and get my results weds, gonna be a long wait. I just wanted to say hello really :x::x:

kw1983

Hello ? what lovely responses, already I feel like I have friends who I can talk to.. I’m keeping myself busy. I have a husband who is fantastic but not coping very well, and two children age 4 and 2 so I have to be positive for them. I have a close circle of friends too. I’m working as a nursing assistant so I’m not completely in the dark with certain things with regards to cancer etc. Obviously very different when I’m the patient.

I’m not sure how to work the forum ? so I hope you see my message :x::x::x::x:

Baxter2

Yes, your reply message is there for us to read @kw1983

It sounds like you have a great support network around you which is pretty crucial for this horrible business! Your hubby will no doubt be finding it difficult to process this news too. It’s a horrid time of ‘limbo’. Your little ones will keep you so busy I expect which will help you through each day ahead.

Handy hint: to alert the person/s whose message you are replying to type the @ symbol just before their forum name without leaving a space like this @kw1983 and they will see your reply ( as will others using the forum too)

If you want to send a private message to someone just click on their name and you’ll see a little message icon at the top right. Click on that and you can message privately. It’s all quite straightforward once you have a go. You can also view the forum users profile information and stories by clicking on their profile icon at the top. Just have a play around and you’ll soon get the hang of it!

Hoping you have a good enough day!

Love,

K????❤️

charleyb

And a very warm welcome from me too!!! I also have a 1.5 and 3.5 yr old. My husband was diagnosed last July aged 39yrs. He was diagnosed as stage 4 with one large lung met, but after 6 cycles of chemo, 1 week radio and two major open operations he is now classed as cancer free. There are amazing treatments out there, so once your team have all the info they will put together an awesome plan to attack this beast!!! Wishing you lots of luck with all your scans. :x::x::x:

kw1983

Thank you @Baxter2 I think I’m actually getting the hang of it now ?
Oh my goodness @charleyb ur reply just made me cry something I havnt done yet!! I just assumed that if I get told stage 4 that that’s pretty much it for me, u have given so much hope u wouldn’t believe!!!! I so glad I came across this forum and all you lovely people ❤️ :x::x::x::x:

charleyb

@kw1983 please hold tight to hope, get all the info from the scans and then go from there. Take a look at even a few profiles on here, there are some incredible stories! In 5/6 months my husband has gone from stage 4 to cancer free, i`m not saying we are out of the woods, but we are in a better place than we ever thought we would be. My husband has always been positive, so as hard as it is stay positive! You are young, and fit you can do this. By the way this bit before actual diagnosis is absolute hell!! I rem it well, look back at my first few posts to this forum, it was just utter despair!! But it gets better, and once on treatment you find a new normal. Your hubby may also like the relative to relative bit. Lots of love and hugs :x::x::x:

SheliasDaughterAngela

Welcome to the group @kw1983 , as everyone has said the wait leading to the prognosis appointment does feel so long and it is such a worrying time, once you know the plan and u start the journey then after a while it does become a normality you never thought was possible.
Mum is stage 3 and she goes to the gym still, is a social butterfly whenever she gets the chance and is so upbeat and positive :x::x:

GD62

Hello @kw1983

Sorry to read about a diagnosis particularly in a young person, that said, just a quick note to welcome you to the forum and you can be reassured of continued support through the coming months.

Good luck :x:

kw1983

Thank u all for ur kind words and positivity... I’m just gonna get on with things until weds comes and then go from there. My mind wanders sometimes thinking about the what ifs but then stop myself and make myself think about the here and now. I will let u all know what The outcome is :x::x:

1234annie

Hi @kw1983
Sorry you find yourself here. I was diagnosed last April 17 at 35 with stage 3 bowel cancer. I had my surgery first, it was quite high up so they could get to it. I then finished 11 sessions of folfox mop up chemo at the end of November. I was told my CT was clear and I was in remission in December. These early days are hard but take comfort that you are not alone. There are lots of us young ones on here.
Annie :x: :x: :x:

1234annie

Ps Dont Google!!!! Best bit of advise i was given. :x:

kw1983

Hello @1234annie lovely to hear that there is still hope there for me. I got my meeting tomorrow with the results to my scans so I will know staging and exactly where I’m at.... it’s been a long long wait.
I’m definitely not googling I done that the day of my diagnosis and it terrified me..
Thank you for your kind words :x::x::x:

charleyb

Good luck for tomo @kw1983 i`ll keep everything crossed for you :x::x:

mem

Hello from me too @kw1983 and good luck for tomorrow :x::x:

1234annie
Quote from @kw1983:
Hello @1234annie lovely to hear that there is still hope there for me. I got my meeting tomorrow with the results to my scans so I will know staging and exactly where I’m at.... it’s been a long long wait.
I’m definitely not googling I done that the day of my diagnosis and it terrified me..
Thank you for your kind words

Good luck with your meeting, we are all here for you. :x:

1234annie

How are you @kw1983? I just realised it's been a while, how are things? :x: :x: :x:

GD62

Hello @kw1983

So sorry you have had a bowel cancer diagnosis, but wanted to welcome you and wish you all the best and hope your team have a plan for you soon.

Hugs and positive healing thoughts :x:

kw1983

Hi there. I’m doing ok @1234annie. I have my first oncology appointment Friday but before that I have a CT colon or virtual colonoscopy which I have to take the dreaded bowel prep for tomorrow 😩 I’m dreading it with my new friend (stoma) but got to be done :x::x::x:

1234annie

Oh bless you at @kw1983 ❤ I'm glad to hear you are ok. The bowel prep is ok, I was just starving and thought tomato soup still counted as 'Liquid' it didn't and he had to wash my bowels though lol
I hope and pray it goes well tomorrow. Make sure you get the cheeky wines in when you can 😉

lizziejane

Hello sweetheart (@kw1983) though saying welcome seems a strange thing to say, you are most certainly among friends here. I shall be thinking about you tomorrow taking the prep 😝 and on Wednesday lots of love and positive thoughts will be heading your way. Please let us know how you get on.

Sending you and your family my love 💖 kisses 😘

Lisa :x::x::x:

kw1983

Thank u @1234annie @lizziejane I’ve taken the first dose just waiting for the explosion 🙈 :x::x::x::x::x: