Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Wellness during and after treatment

at2017

Bowel habits after op...

Sorry but grim but I need to know if there is something wrong with me or if this is normal!
I had my op (left hemicolectomy) 2 weeks ago. Was in hosp for 6 days. For the past 4 days I have had a really bad stomach, everything is going straight through me, very urgently! I feel sick all the time and have little or no appetite. I look worse now than when I came out of hospital. I'm exhausted purely because I have no food in me. Did anyone else suffer like this? Will it pass? I don't know what to do :x:

Clarissa

Hello @at2017. Sorry to hear you’re suffering like this. I don’t have any experience of this happening, in fact after my surgery I had the opposite problem & was constipated for a few days. But I think if I was in your position at the moment, I’d be seeking medical advice. My hospital gave me very clear information that if I had any concerns for the first 2 weeks after discharge home, I was to contact a particular number that got me through to the post-surgery ward. If your hospital has a similar system, I think you should use it. If not, maybe your out-of-hours GP or similar. Being exhausted from lack of food is not what you need after surgery.

Bye for now,

Clarissa :x::x::x:

at2017

Thanks for your reply, yep I have my nurses details but they are only available office hours Monday-Friday, which is annoying :x:

Clancy

Yes @at2017, I was like that, nothing stayed in me very long, in fact still can't eat meat. It will settle, maybe not exactly as before, but something more manageable. Just contact your team for reassurance they may prescribe Imodium that is what I had. :x::x:

OFJ

What's your diet like @at2017 , if it's all going a bit fast you can go back to low residue white rice, bland chicken, mashed potato, green beans, apple sauce etc and stay away from spicy, fried food, broccoli, salad and any al dente veg for a few days. Your bowels don't like being messed about with and take a while to settle down. I had the same after my recent op :x::x:

at2017

This is reassuring thank you
I'll have a rummage in the cupboard and see if I have any Imodium.
I'm scared to leave the house at the mo!! I have to be back at hosp Monday to have a bladder stent removed, if this hasn't stopped it's not going to be a pleasant experience for anyone involved!!! Xx

Quote from @Clancy:
Yes @at2017, I was like that, nothing stayed in me very long, in fact still can't eat meat. It will settle, maybe not exactly as before, but something more manageable. Just contact your team for reassurance they may prescribe Imodium that is what I had.

at2017

To be honest it's still very bland, toast, chocolate, crisps, a pick of dinner and a good dose of multi vitamins!! I just don't fancy anything at the mo x

quote]Quote from @OFJ:
What's your diet like @at2017 , if it's all going a bit fast you can go back to low residue white rice, bland chicken, mashed potato, green beans, apple sauce etc and stay away from spicy, fried food, broccoli, salad and any al dente veg for a few days. Your bowels don't like being messed about with and take a while to settle down. I had the same after my recent op[/quote]

OFJ

Hope it gets better for you @at2017 , I still have days where I go to the loo about 4 times in an hour and a half but it is settling down. One in one out seems to be the norm for me with meals. Now 6 months on I can use loperamide to slow things downand can comfortably go out and about for the afternoon. Haven't gone out for a big meal yet, that might be pushing it but I am able to eat tikka masala's again. Chocolate, coffee and fresh fruit juice over stimulate my guts so I only have these when I am home and chilling out. Stress makes everything worse so try to relax, your tumour is in the bin and you are on the mend, hugs :x::x:

Claireb1978

@at2017 if you want to speak to someone over the weekend you should be able to call through to the ward you were in and ask for advice from them. In my layperson opinion it sounds like you aren’t getting enough food and your energy levels will be suffering a double whammy with that and the operation. Definately seek medical advice. I left the hospital with a big bag of those ensure protein milkshakes - I had about 3 per day for the first few weeks to make sure I was getting enough nutrition in me. Bowel habits weren’t as bad as you describe but I needed to go often and at little notice. As soon as I ate something then I usually had a bowel movement. Hope it get better soon for you. :x:

Bear G

Hi @at2017
Sorry to hear about all this, I can only imagine how it must feel but it’s also worth reflecting that behind this discomfort you’re healing from a very big op.
As some of the others have said, there should be someone you can call out of hours, if not please try your hospital ward or your GPs out of hours number.
In the meantime do try loperamide/ Imodium, it helps slow the bowel transit so should help. Be gentle with it though given that you’re healing - try one tablet and wait for a couple of hours to see how it feels. You could also speak to a pharmacist for advice on this.
Finally, I’ve attached a booklet from Beating Bowel Cancer about regaining bowel control which I hope will help.
Big hugs
Bear
Xx

www.beatingbowelcancer.org/...cer-Regaining-Control-Booklet.pdf

at2017

Thanks guys, I took an Imodium last night and today, it slowed things down and I managed to eat and actually fancy food! Hurrah!!

margaret ensor

I had the same as you after my op but I didn't know about this forum. I was too ashamed to talk to my husband. It does get better but it takes time. Don't go too far from home until things settle. As long as you do not have a medical problem taking something will help. I thought I was going to be like it for ever!!! Rice is boring but helps love margaret