Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Scarlett the Bulldog

Diet before colonoscopy

... Bit boring, isn't it? ?
Everything is white!! And eggs only boiled or poached, I won't be able to make any omelettes.... Potatoes, only boiled or mashed, no chips! Thank goodness its only for 3 days

Clarissa

Hi @Scarlett the Bulldog, yes I did have sedation, it’s nothing too drastic, I was awake & aware of what was happening but felt very comfortable throughout the procedure. However there are restrictions on what you can & can’t do for 12 hours afterwards. @Mags54 - interesting that your instructions just involve fasting. Mine (from North Tees health trust) involved a very restricted diet on Saturday & on Sunday up until 2pm, then no more food until after the procedure which was on Monday early afternoon. I thought this approach was fairly standard but obviously it must vary.

Clarissa :x::x::x:

Scarlett the Bulldog

Mines similar @Clarissa, white diet for two days, then nothing 24 hours before procedure. I'm going to be starving!!!

Mags54

My daughter said she’d love to try the Moviprep. She’s always been fascinated by colonic irrigation. @Scarlett the Bulldog, that diet sounds like the low residue one I was put on after my diagnosis. I quite enjoyed it!
I’ll ring the dept (I’ll be back in work next week so I can just walk round!) and check but I’ve just checked everything again and there’s no mention of diet other than the Movi day and obviously THE day.
Yes, Scarlett, I’m at Salford Royal- aka work!
:x::x::x:

Wendywood

I was never given any strict diet recommendations.... though the white fluffy food (that I would never normally eat) rings a bell. I ate eggs in preparation. What I do remember were the helpful words about food intake from my colorectal nurse: 'what goes in has to come out'. Said it all!

In some weirdly wonderful way part of me actually enjoyed the whole process :) So impressed with the smooth professional way it all happened.

Fond memories: saying to my husband the night of drinking the prep 'there must be something wrong, nothing's happening'. Then spending the next 2 hours laughing at myself because I couldn't actually risk getting off the loo! Take a book or a Kindle in the loo with you!

My colonoscopy took place over the Glastonbury weekend. Lying there with a camera being manipulated around inside me, the consultant, the two accompanying nurses and I all shared an interesting conversation. Festival toilets, mud, and personal camping experiences were some topics we covered. At one point I did break into a very untuneful rendition of 'Oh, Jeremy Corbyn' but I think that was the gas and air kicking in! Hahaha.

@Mags54 and @Scarlett the Bulldog hope your colonoscopies go well......enjoy!

Smiles - Wendy :x:

Mags54

Thank you @Wendywood! Good luck with your treatment, too.
:x::x::x::x::x:

tisme

I empathise with you. I had to do the low residue diet but I didn't mind the bovril it made a change from black tea. The last colonoscopy I had they told me not to do the low residue diet and without being gross bit of food was still there. To be honest the prep is the worst I can't remember what it was called but there was gallons of it to drink.

Scarlett the Bulldog

Ha ha, only just seen these replies, sounds like you had a great time @Wendywood. I do recall when I had my stent fitted, that I was fascinated by the procedure.. Being able to see it on the screen and realise where it actually was!?
Regarding the diet, just wondering what others think?.... My list of foods seems particularly restrictive, for example, it says eggs, boiled or poached. Would it really be too bad to have a plain omelette as well ? And what about cheese, that's white?? ?
So, the Movi prep..... I've already told my husband, he's in the spare room that night. Generally, how long does it take until it kicks in? And does it go on throughout the night? I've got to get an early morning taxi and I'm a bit worried I won't be done and dusted by then!
Oh @tisme.... Arghhhh, you've already had two? I hope the movi prep doesn't taste too bad, I'm terrible at taking things I don't like, makes me gag! However, I do find the idea of a good clean out quite attractive. Give me a head start at next week's Slimming World!

Stillme

I've had it several times now and have discovered the best way to get through the drink is to dilute it in the water as stated but then add something quite strong like grapefruit juice or lemon, lots of ice and a straw and take a deep breath before each swig. To be honest my last one was before my complete APR surgery and apart from the day of the bowel prep I spent the previous week having every form of food known to humankind- Chinese, Indian, Chilli etc etc as I figured it would all come out anyway and I wouldn't be able to have it for quite some time and wanted one final time of eating I wanted without thinking of the possible consequences!!! :x::x:

Clarissa

Hi @Scarlett the Bulldog. My recent colonoscopy preparation involved taking Picolax but otherwise it sounds as if the dietary restrictions were similar. My approach was to follow the advice to the letter. I agree it doesn’t seem logical to avoid an omelette but be able to have eggs cooked in other ways but the last thing I wanted was to be told they couldn’t do the colonoscopy properly because I hadn’t prepared well enough.

Bye for now,

Clarissa :x::x::x:

Mags54

@Scarlett the Bulldog don’t make the mistake that I did of over sweetening your bowel prep with squash! It’s so foul! I nearly brought it back the wrong way!
:x::x::x:

Mags54

I’ve still got a litre to plough through! :x::x::x:

Sparkles

Hi guys, i have my colonoscopy on Wednesday ... Ive hated the restricted diet ? i suffer with constipation and i havent been to the loo since last Wednesday when i started it, despite taking laxido nightly ? as disgusting as bowel prep is, bring it on, i need an eviction ? ..... Good luck everyone ? :x::x:

OFJ

Piccolax is much easier than moviprep, I just can't keep the moviprep down. Good luck @Mags54 :x::x:

Mags54

Thanks @OFJ and everyone. It’s finally down (mostly anyway, there was about a wine glass full that I simply couldn’t stomach) and I think I’m finally voided! Not to mention sore! :x::x::x:

Scarlett the Bulldog

Oh bugger, what does it taste like... Be honest...

Wendywood

Lol @Scarlett the Bulldog I really didn't find it that bad. Think it is better chilled, a few ice cubes perhaps! Remember whoever invented the stuff in the first place wanted it to be fairly inviting to drink.....
Well done @Mags54 voided is good!
@Sparkles yes you will feel much happier when you have been finally fully voided too! Good luck on Wednesday.
Cheers everyone, you're making me smile!

Mags54

My friend added ice and slices of lemon then drank through a straw. It's more palatable when colder but I couldn't drink through a straw, it took too long. I drank it from a wine glass quickly then had a mouthful of dry ginger after to fool myself. I also drank chicken Bovril after it which is surprisingly nice. Good luck when it's your turn @ Scarlett the Bulldog and @Sparkles. Cheers @Wendywood ! And everyone else!
:x::x::x::x::x::x::x:

shazsilverwolf

I didn't have any diet restrictions, just that horrible Moviprep. I found taking a mouthful of Bitter Lemon afterwards was a great disguiser of the taste though.