Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

General Discussion

Clancy

I really cannot understand why they still schedule elective surgery in the months of January and February. Better reserved for trauma, and cancer elective surgery.
By elective I mean, arthroscopies, varicose vein surgery and non urgent gynae, knee and hip replacements.
It is a continuing trend now for around 5 years.:x::x:

GD62

Most health services like France can run both emergency and planned routine and cancer surgery during the winter, case in point the French manage to do what we cannot do plus their own stuff.

The NHS despite its successes operates as a 20th century system rather than one with 21ist century MO, and spend per patient remains below the EU average. More of the same does not cut the mustard....:x:

Bear G

The French system is definitely not one to aspire to, it's absolutely at breaking point and isn't free at the point of treatment. (I had exposure to it when I lived in Paris a few years ago)

I would certainly not choose the French system over the NHS.

I agree that the NHS is outdated, I worked for it in the 1980s and the cracks were showing back then. In my opinion this isn't an issue attributed to a specific party, the NHS has been let down by multiple governments whether Conservative, labour or coalition.

I don't feel the solution is to throw more money at it either, it needs a fundamental overhaul or complete redesign but no political party would be brave enough to propose this as it would generate "keep your hands off our NHS" protests!!
:x::x:

GD62

Hi @Bear G agree it needs cross party agreement with social care and the NHS delivering seamless care, but if we are to fund it free at source then the politicians need to ihave the courage to let the electorate know that we probably need to increase income tax to do the same as well as catch up with the off shore tax dodgers.

Gary real name not Gavin

Yes there is a problem in the NHS it called successive Goverments mucking arround with the briiliant NHS.
Every year the population had increased in the uk but the government of the day had closed A@E departments, Closed Maternity Wards, Closed Cottage Hospitals which dealt with the older infirm people so beds in the main hospital could be released, Built Supper Hospitals closing 5 or 6 hospitals in favour of one. Plus plus plus. You cannot keep ✂ cutting services away and expect it to function.
I am in a minority who thinks when you have a problem you see your GP rather than going to accident and emergenc. Also in a minority everyone should be charged £5.00 to see GP and any treatment after that would be included no other charge and the price should not go up for 10 years. Think this would clear the GP surgery and if person went to A@E for something stupid should be charged £20.00. And of course all money should stay in the NHS.

Gary real name not Gavin

Forgot to say also hospitals need to get rid of so many managers and let the medical professionals take charge.

GD62

Hi @Gary real name not Gavin

My worry is that the poor and working families on low income may avoid their GP if they had to pay £5 and how many potential cancers might go undetected too. So if governments use this argument to avoid charging then it needs to be by cutting public spending elsewhere or increase taxation just by default.

Best wishes :)

Gary real name not Gavin

But it would stop waste. The trouble with the system its everything and does everything thats also why it does have problems but i think its the best in the would. I was at the hospital recently and there was people with a cold if you charged them 20.00 for waste of time how much would this add up to for the NHS. And again the doctors surgery i apologized to to the doctor he said you was right coming in to see me there are loads of people wasting his time on a daily basis and also call outs. Some times the older generation go because they can have a natter.... The 5.oo could arrange proper social care, meals. Not saying its perfect.
Just an idea

Gary real name not Gavin

Thinking a little different as the nhs is in my eyes brilliant just interfered with by politicians and the extra ? help the service rather than adding more tax and back door privatisation (sorry) services xx hope everyone is looking forward to Monday :x::x:

GD62

I work front line in an urgent care walk in centre and agree that I would say that about 60-70% were time wasters, but at least they were mostly referred by GP practices who had no same day appointments. That said, many were children with concerned parents, so usually I do a full ENT, stats, chest examination, check for rashes and full systems review. At the end all the parents need is reassurance and told to come back if kids get worse. You cannot charge people as then it deters the poor and the working poor from getting access to treatment, it would effectively cause a two tier system.

Ta :x:

Gary real name not Gavin

The nhs was established for the treatment care of sick people not to comfort and reassurance of people feeling unwell there is a difference, but that does come into treating sick people. Children or adults referred by the GP no problems but people turning up because they over indulgence be it drink. food, sniffle etc thats time wasting and should be charged. GP should also be warned for over prescribing Antibiotics because mum or dads worried thats stupidity. I have also worked with the nhs in the supply side so dealt with many in the profession and facilities, whom had patients coming because the benefits they had or something of that nature. You cannot say something like the poor would suffer because if the treatment was needed the 5.00 charge is a one off they would be fed bathed and looked after better and save there benifits. Also better than any government in power or to be in power privatisation back door and then charging extra tax, Vat, or any other premium and for the nhs to still suffer.
I think we need to agree to disagree.
Hope you had a good day :x:

GD62

Well all the major political parties are committed by their manifestos ongoing to free treatment at source; this consensus is one which influences funding streams and this is solely via income tax. Secondly I work as a GP medicines management pharmacist and there are regular antibiotic audits which are based on local and national guidance; such as the Health Protection Agency Prescribing of Antibiotics in for Common Conditions in Primary Care for conditions such as UTIs, ENT and respiratory conditions. Moreover, medicines management in primary care has made considerable savings in medicines wastage and over ordering of repeat prescriptions. I do think the NHS has made considerable effort to save money; for example stoma nurses have saved £50000 in their prescribing budget by regularly reviewing patients.

Yes I can say the poor and the working poor may have to choose between going to the GP or putting £5 or £10 on their gas or electric cards. I was volunteering at a food bank for a few hours today and two homeless lads picked up a food parcel, they did not have £5.00 between them and one whom I got chatting was an army veteran and we both had served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Anyway these £5 charges would just add to the burden to working people on low income. I don't think any government even the nasty party will bring in GP or A&E charges anytime soon. :)

Gary real name not Gavin

Perhaps not in my life time but back door will creep in as the NHS is a successful in the many developments and treatments it does cost is be all and end all thats why treatments are being limited to certain people in different post codes.
Sorry to hear about the 2 lads my heart goes out to them that is a disgrace. Onwards and upwards no more chemo to do and 2 more days of Radiotherapy left yippy. Hope your having a great day ??

Gary real name not Gavin

Enjoyed also must do it again soon. Hope all is going well with you and any treatments. Take care also mate ?. Bad nights sleep again pain in arse as normal after radiotherapy today at sheffielf tomoz for the same bright and early. Chow